Sennheiser ME 64/K6 ... buy or not ?

AFsound

First let me just say this: I'm looking to expand my gear but without breaking the bank....so please don't recommend other better pricey options (Schoeps or Nuemann)  ::).  The ME64 with K6 and foam would cost me under $500 and it seems like a steal of a deal.

My question is, for indoor use, dialog only, mounted boom application(no handling noise) to (hopefully) within 2 feet of subject, am I going to hear a noticeable difference in reducing room echo, and can it better reject any other less desired sounds using the Senn ME64/K6 over what I am now using , my Sennheiser 416 ?

What else can I expect from a ME64/K6  and are there similar priced better options, ....OR maybe its not even worth the relatively small investment to use over my 416 for the above indoor situation? 

Thanks for your opinions !!

In your price range, for what you describe, ( a planted boom interior) I suggest either an Audio Technica 4051 hypercaridiod, or an Oktava Film Edition, and and have the preamp for the oktava modified.

Both of these will sound more natural than the me/K6.

Or... used Schoeps CMC4/MK41 with 12v power adapter, or a Sennheiser Mkh-50...

these last 2 probably will cost double your budget.. but will sound massively better and will hold their value.

Audio-Technica AT4051b is $600 at B&H

You saying theres a significant difference? 

to be specific as far as cost, 

its $450 for the Senn ME64/K6/ and foam 

I hate being cheap on equipment, but this is an area I'd like improvement on for the exact situation I mentioned. Have you /do you own both?

As Christopher stated, the Oktava (012) is a low cost option, the Micheal Joly mod is worth while but won't make a night and day difference. One should search for the possible issues of the Oktava before a purchase. The AT hyper-card that Christopher mentioned is the 4053, a nice mic with a high output level.

The Sennheiser K6 series is just OK IMO.

What are the mentioned "possible issues" with oktava MK 012-01?  I didnt see any info on known issues with a google search.

I see a used Oktava on eBay 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oktava-MK-012-01-Condenser-Mic-w-Cardioid-Capsule-10dB-Pad-Case-Clip-NICE-/300847577757?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Microphones&hash=item460be9ba9d

Thats  low price for sure.  Any other opinions on the Oktava ? How does it compare to my 416 as far are quality and rejection of unwanted echo and noise?  Never researched it before.

One possible issue is that the market is flooded with cheap copies.  These are the real deal:

http://www.oktava-online.com/mk012.htm

The Oktava is very different from the 416.  Take a look at this guy's page comparing common prod. sound mics:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/right_mic_brockett.html

You should find all the info you're looking for there, as well as some options other than the Oktava.

Hope this helps!

uh.. yeah.. they 4053 is what I meant..

I have heard it, the k6 series, and the oktava's side by side

the k6 does not sound good enough to justify the price.

I liked Joly modded Oktavas much better... if you want to know what they sound like, watch an episode of Drop Dead Divas.  They are used a LOT on the interior scenes.

I also like the AKG 450 and 460 pre-amps with hypercardioid capsules for interiors.  I use them a lot as a channel on sit down interviews with A-list talent for the studios. 

The AT 4053 will flatter a normal voice in good ways.

the k6 preamp just sounds thin and harsh to me, compared to the other choices.

I can endorse the following

http://www.billsrecording.com/BSRS/oktavamic1.html

order the one with a single hypercardioid and either the standard or premium mod.

I do like having the -10db pad

OR..

order this

http://www.frontendaudio.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=9999-07817&click=18920&gclid=CIiVwa_KjrUCFQWnnQoduDMAPQ

and have Bill or Mike modify the pre-amp

this version has the low cut filter rather than a -10db pad

The ME64 uses an electret element (pre-polarized capsule), which is a cheaper way to make a condenser mic.

If it were me and I was on set with a 416 and an ME64, even in a mildly reverberant space, I'd pull out the 416 over the ME64. (If it were a highly reverberant space, I'd be having a talk with the producer and if he, or she, still opted for that space, I'd be deploying lots of strategically-placed furnie pads.)

If you're committed to this as a profession, save your money now and buy more circumstance-specific equipment when you can afford it. If you don't see yourself in this long-term, just save your money.

FWIW: I normally use a Schoeps in such circumstances but I have also successfully wielded a 416 with great success in a wide variety of situations.

" I hate being cheap on equipment, "

then don't be...

You are asking stuff frequently asked, mentioned, discussed, here; try Google with jwsoundgroup.net as your first search term!

You are in LAX, so visit our usual suspects to discuss, see hear, and deal on the options available,  that is why they are worth it, and the sales reps are not on commission.

ultimately the decision is subjective, and yours to make personally!

Also the Audix SCX-1 is worth checking out. It has been rated highly, for the price at least. Haven't used it myself, so don't take my word for it, but similar question to yours has been post a dozen times and this mic is always coming up.

It is next on my list and I am really curious to compare against my unmodified Oktava.  

Has anyone here used both the SCX-1 and the AT4053b. Any comments or advice?  

Is there a figure of eight mic that would complement the SCX-1 nicely for some interior M-S recordings?

Good question, I dunno the answer.

The Audix is made by MBHO and so is the Ambient Emmesser. I wonder if they pair up well?

I can comment on how the SCX-1hc works in a stereo pair; very, very well. I bought mine based on Eric's recommendation and loved it so much, I bought a second.

Good question, I dunno the answer.

The Audix is made by MBHO and so is the Ambient Emmesser. I wonder if they pair up well?

I can comment on how the SCX-1hc works in a stereo pair; very, very well. I bought mine based on Eric's recommendation and loved it so much, I bought a second.

Good info. I am definitely willing to give it a try. I think I shall be getting an SCX1 within the month if poss. And, I'll take it from there.

I think its between the Audix SCX1-HC and the Oktava MK-012 HC

I will stay clear of the ME series mics

I appreciate everyones input.

I've been using a stock MK-012HC to be honest and I don't rate it at all. Yes granted, for the money it is pretty decent. But otherwiseit is plagued by high self-noise and it is really susceptible to RF interference.

ME64 sounds...lame. I agree with the others. 

416 is an excellent microphone. Some of the old school top sound mixers still use them for everything. C. Darin Knight, Steve Cantamessa, Chris Newman. 

AT4053a/b and Audix SCX1-HC are excellent. 

If you do get an ME64 or some reason...get one used. Then it might be worth its price.... 

If you want a mike with more rejection indoors, a hyper's not gonna do it. You'd need either a CMIT or CS3e, both of which are out of your price range. 

Sawrab