Apple's NEW iPad with128GB

This caught my attention:

“The features and capabilities of iPad give us the ability to set a new standard for multitrack recording and editing on a mobile device,” said Rim Buntinas, WaveMachine Labs’ CEO. “Users of the Auria app can play 48 mono or stereo 24bit/96 kHz tracks simultaneously, record up to 24 of those tracks simultaneously, and also edit and mix with familiar tools. With its portability and all-day battery life, iPad has revolutionized recording for audio professionals allowing artists to record anywhere.”

So will that mean both Pro-Tools and Final Cut Pro will have iPad apps?

Here is Apple's Press Release.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2013/01/29Apple-Increases-iPad-with-Retina-Display-to-128GB.html

I'm not quite sure why increasing the storage capacity (which is what Apple has announced) should prompt the comments made by the Auria software people regarding their multitrack recording app. What I have never understood about multitrack recording on the iPad has nothing to do with storage --- what are people using for the external hardware interface to be able to record all those tracks on the iPad. You can't hook up, for example, a MOTU 828 to an iPad can you?

Right, what about the A/D's and the D/A's? They're still not very good in lightweight portable devices like this. 

And I still don't care for the idea of adjusting faders on a touch-sensitive glass screen. Totally different feel than an actual hardware knob, and not one that I think I could easily relate to or make a very, very subtle adjustment. 

To me, the only reason to buy a 128GB iPad is to store a (fairly large) audio or video library on it to watch at your leisure. Nothing wrong with that, if it looks and sounds OK, as a consumer device. 

So will that mean both Pro-Tools and Final Cut Pro will have iPad apps?

I use 2  24" monitors now for editing and am constantly wishing for more real estate.

They keep telling us desktop computers are soon to be a thing of the past but

having the ability to run the software and being practical are two different things.

I use 2  24" monitors now for editing and am constantly wishing for more real estate.

They keep telling us desktop computers are soon to be a thing of the past but

having the ability to run the software and being practical are two different things.

I second that.

Pads of all kinds will always be a good complement, but will never replace ''real'' computers.

Sales are affected by people who suddently realize all they did on their computer at home was surfing the net so it's become more practical and fun to use a pad, but people who actually work on their comp' (espacially media and graphic workers) won't totally replace it soon with a pad imo. Zoom in-zoom out constantly for detailed work is the prime reason.

Plus storage.

Plus having a real keyboard and mouse...

And I still don't care for the idea of adjusting faders on a touch-sensitive glass screen

I couldn't tell you where I saw it, and it's still not the same as a physical fader, but I saw a video of a tablet that had some sort of rising keyboard that comes up on the screen so you can feel where you're typing.

And I still don't care for the idea of adjusting faders on a touch-sensitive glass screen.

- Thank you Marc. Finally someone!

:)

Saw the Slate Raven at NAMM:

http://www.slateproaudio.com/products/raven/

Their booth had a crowd all through the show, it's clear that this kind of surface has a visual impact - which was a very important factor for Recording/Mixing Studios in the past.

In use, it was very responsive.

It certainly causes us to rethink what the most appropriate user interface is for audio levels, is a physical knob or fader a necessity, or just the best thing we've had for the last 40 years?    

As a manufacturer, the attractiveness lies in the lower cost possible (no incremental cost per channel).

But is "mixing with your eyes" (because you have to look at the image on the screen to make any adjustment) incompatible with critical auditory mixing skills.   I'm not experienced enough with either to say one way or another, but my gut says that it's easier to concentrate on the sound if you don't have to engage massive parts of your brain in vision and image comprehension tasks at the same time.

There is always a strong argument for : the best tool is the one you have in your hand right now, i.e. if everyone has an tablet, they're going to use it if it has the feature they need and it takes more time to set up a more suitable tool.

Tom (TASCAM)

. You can't hook up, for example, a MOTU 828 to an iPad can you?

Using the iPad Camera Connection kit, which breaks out the old or new connector into a SD card or a USB socket, you can connect and use any USB Audio 2.0 compatible audio interface.  The Auria website lists a bunch of devices from 2 to 24 channels.

Apple doesn't acknowledge this use of the camera adapter, but they haven't yet blocked it.

I just cannot see mixing on these.  They require that you look at your hands on the screen and not at the action or the playback screen in order to make sure your fingertips are in the right spot.  With faders (or a fader controller) I can feel the position of my fingers without taking my eyes off what I'm doing.  This is a problem these guys (like Auria) will have to solve somehow.  There is also the issue of not being able to externally power the ipad while having it hooked up to an interface--they need to fix that too.

philp

<p>Successfully tested my Sound Devices MixPre-D with my ipad using the USB camera connection cable. &nbsp;The Ipad sees the mixpre immediately and gives me two tracks of up to 24 bit/ 96k. &nbsp;The $10 multitrack DAW software worked great. &nbsp;Already owned the Mixpre-d as a problem solver and it has added one more option to record something at 24bit/48k. &nbsp;Nice! &nbsp;</p>

• 1 month later...