Frequencies in India

Tom E

Hey All,

I'm heading to India for a gig next month, and I'm wondering what frequencies people have had success with there.  We will cover a large area of the country, including Dehli, Mumbai, Dehradun, Kerala, and Jaipur.  Vin, you out there?

Also any tips, advise, must-sees, etc.?

Thanks alot,

Tom

Hi Tom,

I have used 22 & 23 from rentals before, and now I just used my own lectros on 25 & 26 in one city - no major problems. I am starting off on another feature in Bombay very soon, and don't think there should be any major problems. India is not yet indundated with digital television. as if it were better than analog tv!

Write to me on vinod@soundtrane.com and I am sure I can give you a whole load of info depending on where you are going...

best regards

-vin

I've said this before:

for a few systems, any block will work (I'm not going to touch on what may or may not be legal to use in this rant) and you will find a few frequencies that you can work on.

if you are thinking like a major concert, or road show with dozens of systems, you would certainly need to be spread over several blocks, but folks, all these "which block will work in xyzcity" inquiries are really rather redundant.  if you have been reading them, for years now, you will come to the conclusion that what I just said has proved to be true!

there are domestic and international charts easily accessible that can show what frequencies are used by licensed TV stations where ever you plan to go, but that is really only a small part of the big "interference" picture.  and  clear frequencies in one place may be unusable on the other side of the same town.  As to the legality of the frequencies, that information is usually available on-line, but asking a local's advice is certainly a good idea.

BTW, the place I had hassles was Israel, where I was spotted by the military which DF'd my signal; they "suggested" I be more careful about getting proper clearances..

there is another thing to consider: when you do the "scan", there will be lots of freq's with only a very low level of interference shown, and those frequencies are usually quite usable with excellent results, as the nearby signal of the wireless TX will completely block that little weak interfering signal; the technical term is "capture".

so let me reverse the question:

has anyone ever gone somewhere with frequency agile wireless systems over a block of at least 16mHz, and not been able to make any systems work.  OK, wiseguys, no rediculously extreme examples, like "I was standing under the 1 Megawatt Omega antenna with 66 other wireless ENG crews all on block 21" (BTW: I've been there, and my old VHF's, which were state of the art at the time worked fine). Look at all the wireless stuff that gets used at, for example the Super Bowl.

and in fact, a further question: who has actually gone out and replaced all there wireless systems (same capabilities I mentioned above!) because they  were told they wouldn't be usable due to interference, -not just due to legality of the frequencies!