Rastorder Foldup cart COVER

Rob Stalder

Looking good, Rob! The challenge, of course, is protection while still providing workability access. It would be easy to make a cover that you put on when you're going to ship the cart somewhere --- not so easy to make a simple cover that allows access to the cart so you can work.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gday - we're here...

Cover is finished ready for sale - orders will have a short lead time - email your interest.

Clear hoodie can be used in conjunction with flat clears to your particular configuration.

Grey hoodie makes a great sunshade.

With top half shelf removed - top sides support themselves.

6 Full with grey hoodie open.jpg

1  rear full.jpg

5  grey hoodie side on.jpg

2  side full.jpg

Hi Rob,

Sorry to join this conversation only now... :s

Awesome job, well done! You will be hearing from me shortly, certainly before our grim UK winter comes around... What sort of lead time are we talking about for the orders?

I like the end result of the hood, especially in vinyl as a sunshade

Just a few minor points on my end:

- The way that I currently attach my aerials mast wouldn't quite work. I currently use a mic stand arm, that I securely cable tie at 3 points to one of the corner uprights at the back of the cart (so that it goes up alongside one of the booms). I'd have to think of another way with this cover, possibly just on a separate mic stand. Not a big big fan of putting aerials in the rain anyways...

- With the flap for the handle as you've currently got it, it seems to me that the rain that hits the handle would then roll down alongside it and essentially make its way to the second top shelf through the flap opening, gradually flooding it. At least it seems like it would behave that way from those pics. Is this something that you've tested? Maybe the handle flap would need to have a hood of some sort that went physically over the handle, sealed at the top, so that the rain drops would not be guided towards the interior of the cart, but should still be 'baggy' enough for one to be able to grip the handle from underneath. Does this make sense?

- Good idea on the velcro patches for the boompole bits. However, from what I understand it would mean that the quick-fists (who ever came up with that name...) and the boompole cups would have to be unscrewed in order for the cover to go in place, and then screwed back on top of it? This each time the cover goes on or off?

- Last, I'm not a big fan of the colour. But that's just personal taste, who cares! Maybe the darker charcoal one will be more to my liking ;)

Well done on the job though, keep it up!

Hello Ludovic, no problems, thanks for commenting.

Aerial masts - I made a few points about them earlier in the thread. Otherwise have made no special concessions.

Handle area & rain - It was a worry. We have turned over the top edge of the vinyl just above the (square) handle side supports. This seems to press down on those handle supports & should work. Maybe a terry toweling sweat band taped around each handle would help.

Its pretty crowded around that back area for another flap. One would have to be attached to the top of the hoodie (if used). I dont think we could get one up under it.

There could also be a conflict with the boom poles on the back.

However we will keep an open mind.

Boom pole attachments -  It was very hard to line up holes for the boom pole attachments, particularely when I didn't always put the top holder holes in the same spot. So we figured people could make their own (recomend a small slit for each hole. The velcro patch seemed an ideal medium to help stop water. patches were for if you made a big hole & needed to cover it if you werent using it.

We do see the boom pole attachments going on over the cover and understand the R & R issue. But saw a large hole for clamps and boxes to poke through as an even bigger problem than the handle.

Colour - This is easy. We chose light grey mainly because its a lightish colour that wont heat up too much if its being used on a beach in summer to say keep salt spray out - or in a desert in summer to keep wind blown sand out.

In rain, sleet or snow maybe it doesn't really matter what colour it is.

Also it costs say $50 per mtr in a 50 mtr roll. It costs $150 per mtr for 2 mtrs (say to do 1)

Hope that helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Gday -

We have determined this cover to be a severe weather cover.

Yes as such it is a semi permanent cover.

Yes it is designed to have the boom pole accessories attached after the cover goes on.

Yes that is a little time consuming, but it turns an open architecture cart into one almost completely sealed from the elements.

yes it offers almost infinite access for operating your equipment on the Foldup cart.

More info here   http://www.rastorder.com.au/cartcovers.htm

Rob Stalder

8  foldup cart_in stock.jpg

• 1 year later...

November 2014

Do you have a foldup cart and your equipment is freezing its ..../..... off.

That's why we designed the Foldup extreme weather cover...

We have re-designed the clear hoodie, it extends out more over the font & is supported by a fibreglass rod arch - works a treat.

likewise we have included 2 rods in each clear panel. This allows them to support themselves & the sides - again works a treat.

Still no progress on a lightweight, easy on/off rain cover - but things have stalled in the R & D department till 2015.

We do intend to make one.

Have not changed the grey hoodie as it still works well as a sun shade.

Rob

3  New re-enforced clears & hoodie.jpg

2 new re-enforced clear hoodie.jpg

1  re-inforced clears.jpg

• 1 year later...

We have finished our Foldup cart, light weather cover. We have some in stock.

Price is AU$360.00 + GST if applicable.

Main difference from extreme weather cover;

Its clear plastic, thicker rather than thinner.

It goes on over the boom holders and they can extend through flaps at rear, each side.

Other points to note;

It has handle flap at rear.

It has side flaps to get to the top shelf. RastOrder double hooks can extend from those flaps.

It has rear flaps at each side to attach clamps to frame.

It has 2 part top cover to access top & front of top shelf.

It has separate cover in front of extended shelf.

It has front lower zipped panel.

Rob

LWC 3_03_resize.jpg

LWC 3_01_resize.jpg

LWC 3_05_resize.jpg

LWC 3_13_resize.jpg

LWC 3_16_resize.jpg

Great job Rob ! the fold up cart has served me many years now and glad to see this great add on !

do you think on the back side where the cable hook usually been hanged area,you can make two "that plastic cover thing" similar to boom pole holder cover,which could allow me to put the cable hook on the cart shelf but the hook is outside the cover and water won't goes inside the cover ? so I can still hang something outside the cart but still get most of the cart covered. 

best

Cloud 

Sean - thank you.

Cloud... here's how it goes;

Pic 3rd down shows the hook inside the side forward flap, hooked on the shelf side and coming out the bottom of the flap.

The side of the cover is close to the cart.

Pic 2nd down shows the cover with the handle flap open, at the rear - you can see how far out the cover is. That is so it can go over the

boom boxes and clamps.

Pic 1st  shows (looking through the side rear flap) the handle, the quick fist, and below it the hook. All inside the cover.

Pic last shows (looking through the clear cover) the hook at the rear on a shelf.

The problem is the cover is too far away from the cart for the hook to go out of the cover - even if there was a flap there.

The Extreme weather cover does not have this problem as the rear of the cover is close to the cart.

Rob

FU hook placement 333.jpg

FU hook placement 22.jpg

FU hook placement 1.jpg

FU hook placement 4.jpg

• 11 months later...