Video: "The Sound of Nurse Jackie: An Afternoon with Jan McLaughlin & Steve Borne"

Gotham Sound

Our video from "The Sound of Nurse Jackie: An Afternoon with Jan McLaughlin & Steve Borne" is now available to view online! Watch as Jan and Steve offer comprehensive advice for creating an efficient workflow to ease the creative process.

Thanks to Jan and Steve for sharing these wonderful tips with us, and to AVID and Tekserve for supporting the event.

http://rsvp.tekserve.com/the-sound-of-nurse-jackie-featuring-jan-mclaughlin--steve-borne/

:)

I learned a lot, too.

Thanks Gotham/Avid/Tekserve for putting it all together.

In the aftermath, everyone with whom I speak concurs that production/post sound conversations should continue...

Thanks to all who came out (and watched the video). Very sad the show clips had to be cut out. Very, very sad :( Guess you just gotta BE there.

That was great. Just wish some of the people I work with could see this and learn how much it takes to make great sound. Much better than saying I missed something when I'm the only sound person on the whole project. Also shows that sound doesn't mean hiring somebody to record sound the day before the production is to start be it a talking head, commercial, music video or short or long format video.

Fingers crossed for your successful plea to Lionsgate, Peter. The clips are very short, yet illustrative and educational scenes. If there's anything I can do to help the cause...

Thanks for all the positive comments. Was feeling a little low last night having watched the Dolby at Sundance 2013 panel "The Sound of Your Story" wherein the last words from these venerable post sound guys were, "The best production sound mixers are pains in the ass."

https://vimeo.com/57923748

Those words have been bouncing around my brain for a week. Boing. Boing.

I take a radically different approach to getting what post needs, as partially outlined in my prepared presentation at SVA. It's one thing to be a PITA with a penis, but a PITA without a penis is--in our culture--conduct unbecoming.

Anyway, your kind words helped pause that PITA tape loop from playing :)

"It's one thing to be a PITA with a penis, but a PITA without a penis is--in our culture--conduct unbecoming."

I feel like I should get this tattooed somewhere haha, amazing.  Anyway, that conform solution you guys presented for picture changes is now my go to.  I was using Titan, but that seems much better where/when it works.  Thanks again!!

"It's one thing to be a PITA with a penis, but a PITA without a penis is--in our culture--conduct unbecoming."

well said Jan, and thank you for all you add to this group. Your view is always appreciated here.

+++++

"The best production sound mixers are pains in the ass."

I'm guessing that this is a complement.

al

• 2 weeks later...

Jan,

On behalf of our gender allow me to grant you an honorary penis -- which means you're "one of the guys" (in the best sense of the words).

Just please don't let the virtual testosterone diminish your nurturing side. Your style in interfacing with other departments has me in awe.

Good luck at the CAS awards!

Jan,

On behalf of our gender allow me to grant you an honorary penis -- which means you're "one of the guys" (in the best sense of the words).

Just please don't let the virtual testosterone diminish your nurturing side. Your style in interfacing with other departments has me in awe.

Good luck at the CAS awards!

John, Jeff told me about your above post Saturday night and I've just now gandered it.

Honored.

Thrilled.

As I have my first cuppa this morning, begin to craft the sentence that includes the fact that because I have an honorary penis I'm allowed to play the PITA card without penalty or something like that.

As I have my first cuppa this morning, begin to craft the sentence that includes the fact that because I have an honorary penis I'm allowed to play the PITA card without penalty or something like that.

Enjoy the new found freedom. The obligation now goes to the other party to "deal with it." <g>

A good woman friend pointed out to me many years ago in one of our myriad political discussions, how, even in high political position, a woman would likely be branded "bitch" for having the same attitude that a man would be called "stalwart" or "resolute" for.

Of course, I would appreciate, likewise, to be allowed the latitude to be sensitive and nurturing without being considered any less "stalwart" or "resolute." We could all benefit from more accepting "people as people" (Without losing those delicious differences that make life so much nicer.)

I enjoy hearing what a great time y'all had in L.A. the last coupla days. I was there in spirit.