Welcome to JWSOUNDGROUP
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Black box on new content page

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Jack Norflus

Jack Norflus
  • LocationBrooklyn, New York
Jeff
With the update done I'm still getting a black box on the new content page on my Android device. It will go away when I hit refresh.

Audio Daddyo

Audio Daddyo
  • LocationMassachusetts
Just recently I also am getting a black box that says "loading" when I return from a thread to the new content page. When I go to another thread and then return to the new content page I get a second black box that says "loading". The most I get are two black boxes. The boxes stay on the screen in the new content window until I exit. I'm using an Android phone.

Andy

Andy Turrett
Massachusetts USA

http://www.audiodaddyo.com
FCC LP Call Sign WQOC491

Jeff Wexler

Jeff Wexler
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA USA

I will look into this. I don't have anything running Android OS so it is a little bit more difficult for me to sort out. Are either of you running the IPB app? The IPB app (current version for iOS-6) works very well. I don't know anything about the Android version. If you are not using the IPB app, the site is detecting a mobile browser and then tries to load the default mobile skin. It may be that the default mobile skin was not properly updated for compatibility with the updated forum software.

Jeff Wexler, CAS
Santa Monica, California

"I don't care if you've got ninety tracks... what does it sound like, baby"
- Ray Charles

Audio Daddyo

Audio Daddyo
  • LocationMassachusetts

Jeff,  I don't have the IPB app on my phone.   Let me know if there is any other info you need.

Andy 

Andy Turrett
Massachusetts USA

FCC LP Call Sign WQOC491

Jack Norflus

Jack Norflus
No ipb for me.

Jack Norflus

Jack Norflus
Looked at the android app store ans I don't see anything regarding ipb

Jack Norflus

Jack Norflus

Now it is not allowing me to get mobile view.

Jeff Wexler

Jeff Wexler

This is getting quite complex but I will continue to work on support for Android mobile skin after this most recent update. I have checked as well if the Android IPB app is out yet and it appears that it is still in development and has not yet been released. You could try Tapatalk which is working okay for those that are using it. I will keep everyone posted as things progress.

Jeff Wexler, CAS
Santa Monica, California

- Ray Charles

soundslikejustin

soundslikejustin
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia
iPhone 4, no IPB app, can't get mobile theme either. New full site colors are nice, though...
Justin Harrison
Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Jeff Wexler

Jeff Wexler

Jack, and anyone else with Android phone, try and get the site to display with a new mobile theme I have installed and hopefully configured to work properly. I'm not sure how you do this with mobile browser (on your Android phone) but I'm sure you will have to do something like signing out, empty the cache, sign back in, refresh the page, etc. You should then see a gray mobile version with a menu that appears as a cluster of square boxes where you can select New Content, etc. Let me know if any of this works for you.

Jeff Wexler, CAS
Santa Monica, California

- Ray Charles

Jack Norflus

Jack Norflus

Jack, and anyone else with Android phone, try and get the site to display with a new mobile theme I have installed and hopefully configured to work properly. I'm not sure how you do this with mobile browser (on your Android phone) but I'm sure you will have to do something like signing out, empty the cache, sign back in, refresh the page, etc. You should then see a gray mobile version with a menu that appears as a cluster of square boxes where you can select New Content, etc. Let me know if any of this works for you.

yep see the moble theme - no black boxes as of yet

soundslikejustin

soundslikejustin
I still get them. At this point, I'm kind of simultaneously attached to them and annoyed by them. If they suddenly went away, I'd feel...weird.
Justin Harrison
Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Phil D

Phil D
  • LocationAuckland New Zealand

Working well for me .

Phil

Audio Daddyo

Audio Daddyo
  • LocationMassachusetts
Now I get 2 black boxes on the 2nd return to new content. This is after I cleared cache and signed out and back in again.

Andy

Andy Turrett
Massachusetts USA

FCC LP Call Sign WQOC491

Jack Norflus

Jack Norflus
Yep black boxes are back for me as well.
logged out cleared the cache ans logged back in.

Matthias Richter

Matthias Richter
  • LocationBerlin, Germany
No mobile theme anymore on my iPhone 4 after the update

Matthias Richter

http://www.schallrichter.de

Phil D

Phil D

Hi Jeff,

Has stopped working today...cannot get to new content page..the little cluster of boxes does not respond..and page formats rather oddly.

I presume you are working on it, but thought I would report in as there is a change in what I reported yesterday.

Have just tried Tapatalk, but brings up a different version, not the grey one with the boxes.

Cheers, Phil

Jack Norflus

Jack Norflus
Yep no mobile version on Android and no mark board read anymore.

Jack Norflus

Jack Norflus

The version on my andriod now doesn't allow me to jump to the first unread in a thread. It takes me to the 1st post even if it is several pages long.

Works fine on non mobie devices.

Jeff Wexler

Jeff Wexler

Support for this site on mobile devices is broken, completely, and I am working (feverishly) to get it back functioning. The only options for mobile access and function now is either the IPB app (iPhone only) or Tapatalk. The site is certainly functional and useable on tablets (iPad, iPad mini, Galaxy, etc.) using full size browser pages. On Android phones you are just going to have to wait until it is fixed.

Jeff Wexler, CAS
Santa Monica, California

- Ray Charles

fieldmixer

fieldmixer
Tapatalk is nice.

Jeff Wexler

Jeff Wexler

Mobile Access is back, at least it is working on my iPhone now. There still seems to be a little bit of the black box "Loading..." problem going on, particularly when using the BACK arrows browser control. If you use instead the "PREV-" (previous) buttons it seems to work properly. Also, the black box will dismiss itself if you click around but I know that is annoying.

Let me know if it is all working properly or not, especially Android users.

Jeff Wexler, CAS
Santa Monica, California

- Ray Charles

Phil D

Phil D

Yes, working again for me. Has a blue header and a box of 4 squares. Different to last time I tried, but definitely working on android.

Jack Norflus

Jack Norflus
Working here.
Will live with the black box- its annoying but better than not having mobile view.

Phil D

Phil D

Back in black theme today with 12 x boxes. Much faster loading than yesterday.

Audio Daddyo

Audio Daddyo
  • LocationMassachusetts

Hi Jeff,

Just wanted to give you an Android phone update.  Black boxes are still showing up.  They show up when I hit my phone's back button to return from a thread back to the list of new content.  I will get as many as two black boxes if I return more than once.  It is better than it was before when I would get as many as 4 black boxes.  

I also noticed that the black boxes will disappear when I go from one page of "new content" to another page.    But will return again once I go into a thread and then back out.

The last odd thing I've noticed is after reading the threads I'm interested in I am not always able to enter into the "Mark all read" window and clear the new content.  I have to close JWsound and then come back in and then the window that has "Mark all read"  is accessible.

Despite these problems I am still able to use the mobile version but as Jack said it is a bit annoying.

Thanks,

Andy 

Andy Turrett
Massachusetts USA

FCC LP Call Sign WQOC491

Jack Norflus

Jack Norflus
Mobile view changed again. Black boxes are still there but worse for me.

stacysound

stacysound
  • LocationTexas

"Mark Board as Read" on my Computer doesn't work. Still shows the same posts… Safari. OSX 10.8.2

Stacy Brownrigg, CAS

Jeff Wexler

Jeff Wexler

Mobile view changed again. Black boxes are still there but worse for me.

Still trying to get this sorted out. The mobile access skin now should be gray color for all, that's the first thing. The black box "Loading..." problem seems to persist no matter what I do (and it is a problem with iPhone iOS as well). What I have found is that if you can avoid using the BACK key on your browser in favor of using the PREV (previous) button (if it even shows), this can be as help. Also, even with the black box there, if you go ahead and click somewhere else to navigate, you should be able to have the black box dismiss itself.

Jeff Wexler, CAS
Santa Monica, California

- Ray Charles

Jeff Wexler

Jeff Wexler

"Mark Board as Read" on my Computer doesn't work. Still shows the same posts… Safari. OSX 10.8.2

Mark Board as Read generally has worked well for everyone but you have to understand how your browser works. When you click on Mark Board as Read button, you should be returned to a full page that will show all the forums and the posts, even, of course, ones that you have just read. If you then click on View New Content and have its filter set to show you Unread Posts, you will be taken to a page that says "Sorry, no new content found" (or something like that). This is the way it is supposed to work and if it is not working this way for you I'm not sure what I can do about it. Remember as well that you have to have your browser set to allow cookies for this site --- that is the only way any of these individualized tracking routines will work.

Jeff Wexler, CAS
Santa Monica, California

- Ray Charles

stacysound

stacysound
  • LocationTexas

Thanks Jeff… weird...

Stacy Brownrigg, CAS

Matthias Richter

Matthias Richter
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

when using my laptop I jump automatically to the last post I have read. Its not working on my iPhone which can be time consuming when coming to a thread with couple of pages. It was working for a very short time like on my laptop but not anymore. Would be nice ...

Matthias

Matthias Richter

http://www.schallrichter.de

soundslikejustin

soundslikejustin
iDevices (tested on both iPhone4 and iPad2) no longer display video, YouTube links etc. in either standard or mobile themes. There is a line of code in bbcode_video template (that's vBulletin but I'm sure ip.board is similar) that apparently allows YouTube links to be displayed in various other ways on devices that don't support flash, at the moment I'd say that this has been turned off.
All I see is a white gap where the video (or at least a link to it) SHOULD display but doesn't.
Black box remains, but doesn't pile up like it used to.
Justin Harrison
Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Jack Norflus

Jack Norflus

ditto on no video on android

Jeff Wexler

Jeff Wexler

Try an experiment for me: using your Android phone (and the mobile skin) try and locate one of the videos posted, see if you can see it and play it. At the bottom of the mobile screen display, you should see "Use Full Version" and switch to that. You should now be looking at the full version skin (not configured for mobile browser) --- everything will be quite small, for sure, but can you see and play the video?

It is difficult for me to test these things for several reasons. I do not have any device running Android OS and it is already well known that Apple devices (running iOS) are not compatible with Flash encoded video. I don't expect to be able to view some videos on my iPhone. With YouTube video, it is also difficult to discover because many videos have been encoded (by Google) in both Flash and HTML5 (with browser detection to provide compatible playback).

I don't imagine that I am going to be able to improve compatibility in these areas because I'm not sure the mobile skin is the problem.  If the mobile skin IS the problem, I will have to wait for the publishers of the mobile skins to update things so they work properly.

Jeff Wexler, CAS
Santa Monica, California

- Ray Charles

Phil D

Phil D

I have just played the "has this exact thing ever happened to you guys" clip perfectly, first time.

this was a post in current from stephensharrod today.

Jack Norflus

Jack Norflus
No video in mobile nor full version for me.
Full version just get an empty space.

Phil D

Phil D

That's Odd.. don't know how I am the lucky one!

I am on Galaxy S2 , Android version 4.0.3, and think I'm using the stock browser .. shows as www.searchmobile

I don't normally access JW Sound from mobile.. generally desktop.

Just trying it to help sort the goings on.

Audio Daddyo

Audio Daddyo
  • LocationMassachusetts
I just noticed on my android phone that the Black Box is gone. Jeff were you able to find the cause of the problem?

Andy

Andy Turrett
Massachusetts USA

FCC LP Call Sign WQOC491

Jack Norflus

Jack Norflus

I just noticed on my android phone that the Black Box is gone. Jeff were you able to find the cause of the problem?

Andy

Gone for me as well.

Jeff Wexler

Jeff Wexler

I did install a minor update to the forum, v.3.4.2 went to v.3.4.3. Invision Power Service was sketchy in their "What's new in this update" but referred to it as a maintenance and minor bug fix. I guess we can assume that the update fixed the black box problem people were having with mobile access. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Jeff Wexler, CAS
Santa Monica, California

- Ray Charles