Black box on new content page

Jack Norflus

Hi Jeff,

Just wanted to give you an Android phone update.  Black boxes are still showing up.  They show up when I hit my phone's back button to return from a thread back to the list of new content.  I will get as many as two black boxes if I return more than once.  It is better than it was before when I would get as many as 4 black boxes.  

I also noticed that the black boxes will disappear when I go from one page of "new content" to another page.    But will return again once I go into a thread and then back out.

The last odd thing I've noticed is after reading the threads I'm interested in I am not always able to enter into the "Mark all read" window and clear the new content.  I have to close JWsound and then come back in and then the window that has "Mark all read"  is accessible.

Despite these problems I am still able to use the mobile version but as Jack said it is a bit annoying.

Thanks,

Andy 

Mobile view changed again. Black boxes are still there but worse for me.

Still trying to get this sorted out. The mobile access skin now should be gray color for all, that's the first thing. The black box "Loading..." problem seems to persist no matter what I do (and it is a problem with iPhone iOS as well). What I have found is that if you can avoid using the BACK key on your browser in favor of using the PREV (previous) button (if it even shows), this can be as help. Also, even with the black box there, if you go ahead and click somewhere else to navigate, you should be able to have the black box dismiss itself.

"Mark Board as Read" on my Computer doesn't work. Still shows the same posts… Safari. OSX 10.8.2

Mark Board as Read generally has worked well for everyone but you have to understand how your browser works. When you click on Mark Board as Read button, you should be returned to a full page that will show all the forums and the posts, even, of course, ones that you have just read. If you then click on View New Content and have its filter set to show you Unread Posts, you will be taken to a page that says "Sorry, no new content found" (or something like that). This is the way it is supposed to work and if it is not working this way for you I'm not sure what I can do about it. Remember as well that you have to have your browser set to allow cookies for this site --- that is the only way any of these individualized tracking routines will work.

iDevices (tested on both iPhone4 and iPad2) no longer display video, YouTube links etc. in either standard or mobile themes. There is a line of code in bbcode_video template (that's vBulletin but I'm sure ip.board is similar) that apparently allows YouTube links to be displayed in various other ways on devices that don't support flash, at the moment I'd say that this has been turned off.

All I see is a white gap where the video (or at least a link to it) SHOULD display but doesn't.

Black box remains, but doesn't pile up like it used to.

Try an experiment for me: using your Android phone (and the mobile skin) try and locate one of the videos posted, see if you can see it and play it. At the bottom of the mobile screen display, you should see "Use Full Version" and switch to that. You should now be looking at the full version skin (not configured for mobile browser) --- everything will be quite small, for sure, but can you see and play the video?

It is difficult for me to test these things for several reasons. I do not have any device running Android OS and it is already well known that Apple devices (running iOS) are not compatible with Flash encoded video. I don't expect to be able to view some videos on my iPhone. With YouTube video, it is also difficult to discover because many videos have been encoded (by Google) in both Flash and HTML5 (with browser detection to provide compatible playback).

I don't imagine that I am going to be able to improve compatibility in these areas because I'm not sure the mobile skin is the problem.  If the mobile skin IS the problem, I will have to wait for the publishers of the mobile skins to update things so they work properly.

That's Odd.. don't know how I am the lucky one!

I am on Galaxy S2 , Android version 4.0.3, and think I'm using the stock browser .. shows as www.searchmobile

I don't normally access JW Sound from mobile.. generally desktop.

Just trying it to help sort the goings on.

• 2 weeks later...

I did install a minor update to the forum, v.3.4.2 went to v.3.4.3. Invision Power Service was sketchy in their "What's new in this update" but referred to it as a maintenance and minor bug fix. I guess we can assume that the update fixed the black box problem people were having with mobile access. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.