Jordan Sy

Body Controller demo by Imogen Heap

What a great person to explore this tech. For anyone who isn't familiar with check out some of her other work. Great engineer, songwriter and musician. Her album Ellipse is wonderful.

I filmed an IV with her at her house about 3years ago. She is a unique and incredible talent. She wrote and performed a song about udon her Repeater whilst we were fiddling and setting the gear up. I wanted it to go on forever. Very cool lady indeed.

Oh, and she lives in a 200yr old circular house, with timelines installed between all rooms. It is incredible!!!

Kindest,

sb

about us, not udon!!!!

If you found this interesting check out work by Paul DeMarinis (Stanford) and Laetitia de Campagne Sonami (Mills College).  Paul had a working "glove" controller instrument in the early 1980s.

philp

I saw the band Marillion use a glove to control a synth in 1990, maybe.

Lots of Sennheiser wireless strapped on her...

After watching the final performance in that video, yeah, that's bad ass. Way more than the synth control glove Marillion used way back when. It kind of makes me think she's using the theremin concept for her whole body and with a whole lot more parameters, like pan, pitch, reverb and all kinds of other effects. Really nice, and turning movement into music more than ever.

Even though her movements are pretty thoroughly rehearsed, it seems as though she wouldn't have a problem improvising with this rig thus making it a real modular instrument. Which is truly awesome. I really like the fact that its not just the sounds or samples but also the effects and different areas that does it. Amazing stuff!

Thanks for posting this, totally made my evening!  This makes me excited to see the next generation of electronic musicians.  I've gotten pretty jaded about going to see electronic music "live" since so many of my experiences have been watching, as she said, what could have been the musicians doing their email.