Zaxcom TRX 900

Jeff Wexler

Better late than never, I have some comments regarding the Zaxcom TRX 900 wireless. I have been fortunate in the past doing movies that require very little wireless work and have always relied on my Audio Ltds (older 2000 model) which have worked beautifully and sound terrific. I finally have had to abandon my Audios because they are NOT frequency agile at all and they have already been re-crystalled twice (at a cost of about $3000.).

So, I have been using the Zaxcom TRX 900 now for 5 weeks on my current movie. I am not using any of the extended and unique features, no recording, no IFB, no remote, just using them as straight wireless. I can safely say without reservation that the Zaxcoms are my new favorite wireless. First and foremost, the SOUND is the best I have ever heard. Tons of dynamic range, even if the gain setting is not exactly optimal, and dead quiet --- low level ambience is perfectly transmitted and voice comes in very naturally from quiet to yelling. I am using DPA microphones which I love but still waiting for Sanken to update the COS-11 so that it will work nicely with Zaxcom.

The frequency agility is all new to me (I know it is standard procedure for everyone else to scan the location, coordinate frequencies and all that) and setting up the Zaxcoms to a clear frequency is a breeze (even for me). Battery life has been stellar: 5 hours + every time we have used them. The only problem on this movie has been that our normal procedure is to change batteries when we break for lunch but we haven't been breaking for lunch on many of our shooting days --- just work straight through and try and have someone bring us food between takes.

I look forward to utilizing some of the new unique features of the TRX 900, like the recording, remote and IFB stuff, but for now I couldn't be more pleased with Zaxcom wireless.

-  Jeff Wexler

I haven't had the opportunity to demo the 900's, but I was thinking about one for a wireless boom rig, or special circumstances. Good to know you like the way they sound. Knowing how you guys work when it is possible, (controllable), why more radio work on this one? Multiple cameras, bad locations, whacked out staging or lack of, or all of the above?    It's funny concidering how much I hate radio mics, how good they can sound when all the elements are working in your favor. Good tools are cool. Hope you have some fun on the film to go along with your good tracks.

CrewC

Knowing how you guys work when it is possible, (controllable), why more radio work on this one? Multiple cameras, bad locations, whacked out staging or lack of, or all of the above? . . . . Hope you have some fun on the film to go along with your good tracks.

CrewC

All of the above and more. No fun, no good tracks, decent paychecks...  that's about it. The most recent firing was two days ago, the script supervisor, my dear friend Marion Tumin. Nothing fun about it.

-  Jeff Wexler

Guest afewmoreyears

For all the reasons you state Crew,  radios are a god send....

We use the Shi- out of radios....  in fact it seems we seldom get to use much boom these days for all the reasons you mentioned....

I am always surprised how good they sound....  and actually really like working with them... I used to hate them... but times have changed....    getting sterile tracks for post to work with, and look good doing it,  with all the garbage they now throw at us location wise...

You have to love them....

The key is a great boom op to make them sound good....  a bad mount and your screwed.... 

I use Lectro 400 series, with COS-11s  I also use the SMQ transmitter for better battery life... 

Again, no problems and we actually love using them....

And guy's... as for the fired script supervisor......  probably better NOT to mention names....  I would not like that,    I am pretty  sure.... you would not either.. some things are better left unsaid.... 

All of the above and more. No fun, no good tracks, decent paychecks...  that's about it. The most recent firing was two days ago, the script supervisor, my dear friend Marion Tumin. Nothing fun about it.

-  Jeff Wexler

JW,

Off topic, but how does a script supervisor get fired. or was it kind of mutual?

And guy's... as for the fired script supervisor......  probably better NOT to mention names....   I would not like that,     I am pretty  sure.... you would not either.. some things are better left unsaid.... 

I thought about not mentioning the name but I know there are people here very important to me, good friends of mine for a very long time, who know Marion...  maybe it was wrong but this is not really that public a forum.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Hey guys,

Just a few thoughts. most of you have "forgotten more than I know"

I know it sounds funny, but I feel part of your team or that I am helping to a degree on your respected projects, when you need to rent a extra slate, a "vog" h-h, a 2nd unit package and the often needed wireless systems.

it is a pleasure (not kissing ass ) to be "part of the deal" with you guys.

old school- the zax boom man's wet dream is not out yet. looks good, has potential for a nifty tool for you to go wireless boom.

as rvd has stated, (I remember the saying, always try to boom, and only bring out the rf's as a last resort.) mixers are using wireless systems more. even there 1st choice. if you asked me what rents out the most, it would be most definitely be - wireless systems. as A few more years has said, he uses the shi* out of them. BTW, who are you a-f-m-y??- a few clues maybe, where are you based out of? what kind of gigs do you do primarily?

Gd luck,

As a Heathen, I wouldn't recognize a god send if I tripped over one, but if I understand the concept, a sound stage or a controlled location, with a pro crew and loud actors would be my definition of one. As far as being a valuable tool, absolutely. Radios are great compared to what we use to have and are needed more often than ever before for all the reasons stated or implied. A good boom op is very important no matter what means of recording are being used IMO. I use lectro's, (211's 411's even have old 195's) w many different mics. As far as loving them, not so much other than the extra rental per unit or as a last resort. I agree that they are sterile and that is why we wet them up unless the location is such that this is not an option. Radios have no perspective and tend to be to dry to the point of detraction to my ears. As many times as I'm surprised at how good Radios can sound, I am more impressed with the quality of an open mic in sound rich environments and how that translates to the small screen. In commercials where AFMY's and I and others toil, you would be surprised at how many times the tracks we turn in are what is used in the final product with little or no finessing. It is a fine line we walk as sound crews, and as many others, I have veered off to the wrong side a time or two.

FSBELLA, thanks for the heads up on the 900's as a wireless boom option. You have been a big help to me many times and any good team has a bench and it is deep with cats like you.

As for naming names, in this example, I know Marion wouldn't mind, and Jeff's point was to show how FUBAR his shoot is. Besides there are only so many sound geeks in the world who will read this. Have a gr8 sunday all. Marydixie, my boom op, is taking the day off to watch football, (She has a nice boss) as I sit on a cold dark stage doing a Mickey d's commercial,, so you can bet "I'm Lovin it"

CrewC