Simon Hayes, and "Les Miserables," wins BAFTA

42 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Simon Hayes has just been awarded his BAFTA Orange award for his excellent work on the film, "Les Miserables."

Good on you, Simon, when the award season is over I predict Simon will have a house full of awards for his accomplishments associated with this film.

Posted · Report post

Beautiful! It's the first award, one of many for sure, well deserved, not only for Simon and his team on Les Miserables, but for his contribution to advancing the respect and understanding of the needs of the production sound crew. Good show! 

Posted · Report post

Awesome and very well deserved

Posted · Report post

Ditto on the Simon Hayes Kudo.

Just for the record it is no longer the BAFTA "Orange" Awards - there is a new sponsor this year: EE Company, so it's now 

EE British Academy Film Awards

Posted · Report post

Thank you for the correction, Richard, my apologies to all.

Posted · Report post

Congrats to Simon and his crew. Well done.

CrewC

Posted · Report post

Ditto on the Simon Hayes Kudo.

Just for the record it is no longer the BAFTA "Orange" Awards - there is a new sponsor this year: EE Company, so it's now 

EE British Academy Film Awards

Thank you for the info on "EE" --- I've been wondering all day what that was all about.

Posted · Report post

Congrats! Well-done.

Posted · Report post

EE is the new name for Orange, they've rebranded.

And well done Simon, whatever the award is called!

Posted · Report post

Congratulations Simon and Team, Bravo!

Posted · Report post

Μπράβο Simon and Team! :)

Posted · Report post

Gonna be a busy year for Mr. Hayes ;)

Remain in awe of the whole production...

Posted · Report post

Wonderful news! Congratulations Simon!

Posted · Report post

Trying to find some lyrics from Miserable to fit the moment, but can't find any good ones...

Felicitations!

Posted · Report post

Thank you all for your lovely messages.I would like to pay tribute to the whole Les Mis Production Team,Arthur Fenn,Robin Johnson,James Gibb,Paul Schwartz,Andrew Rowe and Duncan Craig.
Arthur and Robin have stuck with me through thick and thin.Arthur started boom operating for me in 1995- Over 42 movies averaging 3 per year since 1997.He has prioritised working with me, above living a 'normal' life as is the requirement of working in the Film Industry.Like all of us who work within the 'film game' he is passionate,creative and proud of what we do and considers working in the business a privilege that allows us to see magic created every day.Let us also consider that it does not matter how good a Production Sound Mixer is,if the microphone is in the wrong place in the first place there is nothing we can do on the faders to make it sound 'better'.Good sound begins with the miking and the reputation a Production Sound Mixer has for getting great dialogue is without doubt a collaborative effort with our Boom Op's.
I would also like to pay tribute to Robin Johnson who joined us in 1998.We went to do a low budget movie in the north of England and the Production Manager told us we would have to use a 'local' trainee to save on hotel bills.We were furious but when we met Robin it was immediately obvious that we had fallen on our feet.Here was a 'trainee' that had earned himself a degree is Chemical Engineering before even beginning in Film School.At the end of the job we had come to rely on him so heavily that we literally coerced him into coming back to London with us,renting an apartment and he has been with us ever since.Not only as a superb 2nd Boom Operator which gives our Directors twice as much usable production dialogue as using 1 Boom Op but he has melded us into the computer age with his skill in electronics and software.I would not be wrong in saying he is a genius on either PC or Mac and gives us the ability to interface and problem solve so quickly on a film set that we can interface with any piece of equipment required in seconds not minutes.

When i accepted the BAFTA for Sound last night it was with huge pride,but i wish they had been standing next to me,because without them i would simply not be able to produce the results we can as a TEAM.

Posted · Report post

great... and just the beginning of a crowded mantle...

so is it called and "EE", or still called an "Orange", or perhaps it is "an EE Irange" ???:blink:

Posted · Report post

Well said Simon. Sadly I have met some who don't think that way. Cheers to you all.

CrewC

Posted · Report post

Beautiful words, Sir Hayes! How's the hangover, or is the after-party still going on?!.. ^_^

Posted · Report post

" Let us also consider that it does not matter how good a Production
Sound Mixer is,if the microphone is in the wrong place in the first
place there is nothing we can do on the faders
to make it sound
'better'.  Good sound begins with the miking and the reputation a
Production Sound Mixer has for getting great dialogue is without doubt a
collaborative effort with our Boom Op's
"

This is what I tell my students, and I add that I believe the Boomer has the more critical job!  As a mixer who did not come up from booming, I am completely dependent on good boom operating!

Posted · Report post

Thank you all for your lovely messages.I would like to pay tribute to the whole Les Mis Production Team,Arthur Fenn,Robin Johnson,James Gibb,Paul Schwartz,Andrew Rowe and Duncan Craig.

Arthur and Robin have stuck with me through thick and thin.Arthur started boom operating for me in 1995- Over 42 movies averaging 3 per year since 1997.He has prioritised working with me, above living a 'normal' life as is the requirement or working in the Film Industry.Like all of us who work within the 'film game' he is passionate,creative and proud of what we do and considers working in the business a privilege that allows us to see magic created every day.Let us also consider that it does not matter how good a Production Sound Mixer is,if the microphone is in the wrong place in the first place there is nothing we can do on the faders to make it sound 'better'.Good sound begins with the miking and the reputation a Production Sound Mixer has for getting great dialogue is without doubt a collaborative effort with our Boom Op's.

I would also like to pay tribute to Robin Johnson who joined us in 1998.We went to do a low budget movie in the north of England and the Production Manager told us we would have to use a 'local' trainee to save on hotel bills.We were furious but when we met Robin it was immediately obvious that we had fallen on our feet.Here was a 'trainee' that had earned himself a degree is Chemical Engineering before even beginning in Film School.At the end of the job we had come to rely on him so heavily that we literally coerced him into coming back to London with us,renting an apartment and he has been with us ever since.Not only as a superb 2nd Boom Operator which gives our Directors twice as much usable production dialogue as using 1 Boom Op but he has melded us into the computer age with his skill in electronics and software.I would not be wrong in saying he is a genius on either PC or Mac and gives us the ability to interface and problem solve so quickly on a film set that we can interface with any piece of equipment required in seconds not minutes.

When i accepted the BAFTA for Sound last night it was with huge pride,but i wish they had been standing next to me,because without them i would simply not be able to produce the results we can as a TEAM.

Wonderful appreciation of your crew!  Congratulations to all for a very well deserved award!!

Posted · Report post

Great words here Simon, and last night as well.  I'm just wondering what awards are better.....BMX racing, or BAFTA?

Posted · Report post

Congratulations to Simon and the entire team. What a great example to hold up to all those other departments we work alongside of, as to what a true team effort can achieve.

(Thanks, Rich, for posting the video.)

Posted · Report post

I've seen all of Youtube videos behind the scenes of Les Miserables.

I'd like to know what radio mics were used and what the boom microphones, as well as the Super CMIT 2U.

Posted · Report post

I've seen all of Youtube videos behind the scenes of Les Miserables.

I'd like to know what radio mics were used and what the boom microphones, as well as the Super CMIT 2U.

Audio Developments, Lectrosonics, Zaxcom Deva, DPA 4071 Lavaliers, Schoeps SuperCMIT 2U.. And I think one Nagra for back-up.