Blimp vs. Dead Cat? Is one better than the other?

Ripper70

Hey All,

New user here. Thank you for all the effort you sound pros put into this site. I've been learning quite a bit since scouring these threads over the past months.

I'm one of those newbie HDSLR camera users that's trying to figure out the sound part of the equation for narrative film projects. All my experience in film making is in front of the camera so I'm swimming in all the stuff there is to know (drowning, more like).

I've recently acquired a sound package that includes an Audio Technica 4073a with the standard foam windscreen. I'm figuring that I'll need something better to cover the mic for outdoor locations and it seems as if my choices are the slip-on muff/dead cat style windscreen or the blimp style.

Is one more effective than the other at stopping wind noise? I realize that the blimp systems generally cost more but I'm mostly concerned with the best tool for the job.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

A blimp is more effective. What's usually referred to as a "dead cat" is actually a Windjammer which is a furry covering that is slipped over the blimp for even better wind control.

The slip-on you're referring to, as was introduced by Rycote under the name of Softie, contains open cell foam with a furry exterior. Other companies have come out with their own versions of Rycote's Softie, with their own names for it.

But, yes, a full blimp, often used with a Windjammer, gives better wind protection than a Softie.

http://www.rycote.com

Is the overall length of the blimp a critical factor? In other words, if the AT4073 is listed as being just over 9" long, can I use a blimp that is designed to accommodate a 12" mic? I've seen a few listed in the classified section of jwsound that are made for longer shotguns than mine. Could they be used effectively in spite of the extra length?

And... before someone else points it out, if recording good sound is your goal, hiring the right experienced sound mixer is fifty times more important than purchasing the right gear.

If I had it in my budget John, I'd fly you in from Indy and set you up in the Waldorf Astoria hotel, pay you double scale and provide three squares a day. Unfortunately, I'm just a lowly actor who wants to make his own films and will either end up with a film school undergrad running sound or doing it myself. FWIW, I'm just learning all this too and hope that with experience will come funding that can pay for top pros on set to do what you guys do so well.

If you work outside much at all you need all the possibilities.  I usually figure that all the wind protection is really part of the price of the mic--as location soundies those high-end condensor mics are useless outdoors without them.  The softie can do quite a bit, and is great when you are indoors and outdoors in an unpredictable sequence and have to hold the pole up for a long time (why you see news soundies using them so much).  For quieter sounds (like dramatic dialog outdoors) you have the have the full zep+rat rig.

philp

If I had it in my budget John, I'd fly you in from Indy and set you up in the Waldorf Astoria hotel, pay you double scale and provide three squares a day. Unfortunately, I'm just a lowly actor who wants to make his own films and will either end up with a film school undergrad running sound or doing it myself. FWIW, I'm just learning all this too and hope that with experience will come funding that can pay for top pros on set to do what you guys do so well.

No problem. I knew it would be brought up so I went ahead and threw it out there. There are people who read these threads who don't have your understanding and think it's all about buying the right gear.

Perhaps you didn't notice, but I addressed your question, answered it, and made an effort to help you understand the terminology, prior to making that post.

Perhaps you didn't notice, but I addressed your question, answered it, and made an effort to help you understand the terminology, prior to making that post.

Not at all, John. Thank you for your insight and thorough answer to my question. I followed the link you posted and got a better understanding of the options I have available.

My reply to you was meant to be funny, not snarky. No disrespect intended. 

Should I stay away from the Rode blimp kits? I know they're cheaper but are they able to withstand the rigors of field use well enough to make them worth it?

I have both.  The RODE does the job just fine, but it is a one-size-fits-many device ( thus kind of big, unlike Rycotes) and much heavier than the Rycotes.   The suspension is ok--not as hip as the later competition, but a good deal for the $$.  

philp

" Could they be used effectively in spite of the extra length? "

maybe,  though, generally size matters.

back to the original question:  they are not either/or, they are options that are often even used together, as has been discussed,

I ask because I saw a Rycote S-Series designed for the KMR 82 for sale in the classified section of this site. I think the KMR 82 is a 15" mic so I wondered if I could use that blimp for my 9" AT 4073a.

BTW, is there such a thing as "Mic Envy" in the Soundie Universe?

I have both.  The RODE does the job just fine, but it is a one-size-fits-many device ( thus kind of big, unlike Rycotes) and much heavier than the Rycotes.   The suspension is ok--not as hip as the later competition, but a good deal for the $$.  

philp

Thanks for that info. I went and found a few threads that John had suggested checking out and it seems as if the consensus is Rycote, hands down. Good to know that the Rode gets the job done, though. Sometimes that's enough in a pinch.

If you can afford the Rycote, you will probably never part with it.

If you buy the Rode, it will work, but you will probably find it is heavier, and be so relieved when you cna use a rycote.. or some of the even fancier lighter solutions.. (Cinela, anyone?)

The Rode is much better build quality than the numerous ebay no name copies... though..and is still very useful as a pistol grip solution.

THe foam that comes with the 4073 is not really for wind protection outdoors.. even a Softie would help you a LOT.. and there is a cut circuit on the 4073..

As a starter mic, I find it very good... you may keep it as a spare even after getting fancier mics.

Is the overall length of the blimp a critical factor? In other words, if the AT4073 is listed as being just over 9" long, can I use a blimp that is designed to accommodate a 12" mic?

I think it's best to use the right size blimp for the right size mic. I always use at least a blimp outside -- I think it adds very little to the effectiveness of shotgun mics outdoors -- but once the winds pick up, I think you have to add a windjammer fur cover, and that does affect the high end response a bit. To me, it's a necessary evil.