Zaxcom Nomad 5.0

Jack Norflus

This feature:

This loop file can be seen on the PRIMARY card in the ZFILES folder and can act as an emergency backup of audio in case the card is accidentally formatted or a segment is erased inadvertently.

is pretty cool if it means what I think it does.

In all seriousness though, any firmware past 4.xx is still labeled as a beta. I'd be okay if Howy labeled 4.45  or 4.45e as a release build, but until then I'm still a little perplexed about why we don't have a non-beta release, even though the firmware has advanced a full build number.

any firmware past 4.xx is still labeled as a beta. I'd be okay if Howy labeled 4.45 or 4.45e as a release build, but until then I'm still a little perplexed about why we don't have a non-beta release, even though the firmware has advanced a full build number.

Software will be labeled beta if it has not been tested for a long time in the field .

Currently 3.13E is super stable and 4.45e is the most tested and stable version since then.

I installed 5.0 and set everything up.  Left the machine on for several hours and let it record non stop for about 5 segments.  Never froze up.  Had a mic plugged in as well.  Haven't listened to the files to see if there were any issues.

I had 4.42 on there prior and it would on occasion freeze up if left completely idle, meaning not touching anything at all.  

Formatting the Primary took just over a minute.  That's a huge difference.

Just loaded 5.0 on my Nomad 10 and updated Zaxnet, will be tweaking it about throughout the day.

Edit: Used it on a 14 hour shoot film-style with a RED ONE on Monday 2/18, performed fine for the most part. Had a strange issue with Input 1, was going to use it for my boom but was getting no audio. Ended up using Input 3 for the day, but during a break looked at things a little closer. I have one of those Gold Line tone generators(an XLR-3M with an LED on the end) and it showed I was getting phantom though no audio. Gave the Nomad a reboot and I had audio, mic then worked too(AKG 451/CK8). Also had a mirroring issue where it went no further than 3%, rebooted and changed to Continuous and was good the rest of the day. Since then have gone to 5.01.