Analog Sound Mixer/Boom Operator

If they haven't considered their post conforming and workflow, then, yes, it's silly.

If they are prepared for those things, it's less silly but not likely to make a lot of difference in the final result.

And... if they have the budget to pay a proper rate, well... then... it's not silly at all. <g>

People who prefer to work with vintage and analog equipment often do so not only because of the certain organic quality, but because of the technical limitations that the tools impose on them. Having to rewind tape etc. Daniel Lanois, for example, is famous for producing and recording music with analog gear.

The lack of limitations is indeed the greatest enemy of creativity. Some people feel that with the advent of digital audio workstations sound design has become too easy these days.. almost like an aural version of CGI effects. There is a whole scene of artists working with old synths, 8 mm film etc that just like the whole concept of working with mechanical devices. The tools they use are part of their expression method, so to speak. Media is the message and all that.

My guess is that this is one of those "auteurs" looking for like-minded people to do something artsy.

Based on the "Compensation: No Pay" Id say this is a joke even if it isn't meant to be.  No one who will work for nothing owns a nagra, and if they cant pay production people for the right gear how are they gonna edit film and analog tape once its shot?

If they can even find a film lab, it is almost a certainty that they aren't going to process the film for "no compensation." 

The guy who posted this is likely the same one who contacted me a few weeks ago. They don't have much money and have no idea what they're doing. (Literally. They haven't made the important executive decisions that need to be made)

They haven't considered the process of post, nor the money that will likely come with it.

The script is quite good though!

Yes, I agree, they probably don't have a clue. For starters, Craiglist just doesn't have the right ring to it :)

But I stand by my point.. there ARE professional art projects and people who prefer analog production methods and gear for valid, although usually purely conceptual reasons. I am referring mainly to the contemporary art/video art crowd.