equator audio D5 - amazing speakers

RadoStefanov

These speakers are amazing. They sound like my cans but in a speaker setup. Stereo image is unbelievable. The clarity of the mids and high is very precise. Listening to music they separate each sound.

Transient response is absolutely amazing.

Voice is very clear.  Sounds the same as in my k240s.

Before I got them I taught it is just a advertising gimmick having the low driver inside the high driver "they Cal it zero point reference".

But after I got the d5s I found that is true. The phase relation in the reproduction are very clear.

As far as frequency response the d5s sound as flat as possible.

I am coming from Adam A7x which highs sound amazing because of the ribbon twitter. More "musical".

But the highs on the D5 are a lot more realistic and definitely better for critical listening. 

Give them a try.

There is if I am not mistaken 30 days money back guarantee.

Also the only place you can buy them is on their website..

Which keeps them at $299 for a pair.

For the price I think the equator audio D5 is the best bang for my buck piece of equipment I have ever purchased.

I use them for my media center setup and my audio workstation.

Both sets fed by RME Adi-2

I AM NOT AFFELIATED WITH EQUATOR AUDIO IN ANY WAY. I AM JUST A VERY HAPPY CUSTOMER WHO PURCHASED 2 PAIRS. 

Link does not work directly for some reason. Go to http://www.equatoraudio.com/ and then click to D series

Rado said:

"Before I got them I taught it is just a advertising gimmick having the low driver inside the high driver "they Cal it zero point reference".

But after I got the d5s I found that is true. The phase relation in the reproduction are very clear."

Putting the HF driver inside the LF basket is not a new concept. Here are a pair of Alec 604 Duplex 15" speakers circa 1960's with the multicellular HF horn mounted on center in the woofer basket. As it is said, "everything old is new again."

Eric

P.S. The two boxes are the crossover units that fed the speakers. I seem to recall that the xover frequency was about 1500hz or as we used to say back then cps (cycles per second).

post-22-0-46790700-1360941808_thumb.jpg

Forgot to mention. I don't know if it is their design but they are very forgiving in untreated room.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  I can tell you from experience that you cannot rely on DSP-based correction of a speaker to make a problematic (or small) room have a flat response.  You still have to treat the room the old fashioned way, ie sheetrock, 703, bass traps etc. and then you can fire up various sorts of DSP or room EQ to get you the rest of the way there.

philp

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I can tell you from experience that you cannot rely on DSP-based correction of a speaker to make a problematic (or small) room have a flat response. You still have to treat the room the old fashioned way, ie sheetrock, 703, bass traps etc. and then you can fire up various sorts of DSP or room EQ to get you the rest of the way there.

philp

it is a different kind of dsp. They use dsp to match the freq response of speaker 1 to speaker 2.

I gave myself a pair as a Christmas present. I don't do any editing, I just wanted a better way to hear/criticize my tracks at the end of the day. 

I had a heck of a time trying to get rid of a noise issue at first, which was amplified every time I scrolled with the mouse. Now that that's fixed, I agree. Impressive definition/separation. Even with $112 shipping to Canada, it's still a great value.

I now have better sound in my office than I do in my living room.

I have a pair. I like them regardless of the price. Not sure if there is anything as good under $1000. That said, I do detect a little bit of "woofer on waveguide" noise if played too loudly, louder than I'd monitor from directly in front of them. It comes into play usually while trying to listen to them from the other room ;)

For $300 and a 60 day money-back-no-questions-asked return policy, I think everyone should try'em. At the very least they make a nice secondary pair or an inexpensive, nice sounding surround set up at $150/speaker.

Just wanted to chime in and thank you folks for this thread.

I ended up purchasing a pair for my music "room" (it's a laptop with two keyboards and a USPPre2 - hardly a "workstation") at home. I was originally going to pick up something along the lines of the KH 120s from Neumann but the room is small, boxy and untreated and spending that much on monitors I'd likely use infrequently is silly.

Also I ordered the set that came with a carrying case, and their $300 (now $400 as mentioned) price tag, means I won't really flinch if I need to bring them somewhere either for a familiar reference against unfamiliar monitors or as a portable tool.

Furthermore, I work on 10" coaxial Tannoys at the "office" and I've grown fond of the coaxial design. Looking forward to receiving them.

Shipping via UPS to Montréal (I don't know if UPS was previously offered) was $56. 

I am awaiting their arrival. Will report back then. 

I like these speakers too, but it is important to remember that treating your room is the most important thing you can do to getting accurate sound. any decent speakers will sound good with basic room treatment. basic treatment means: bass traps, first reflections, and proper positioning.

this article is pretty good at explaining some things that you can think about if things sound odd once you get your speakers set up:

http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/recording/a-basic-guide-to-acoustic-treatment/

I hope they sound great, btw!

Shipping via UPS to Montréal (I don't know if UPS was previously offered) was $56. 

I'm done with UPS. Wait until you see the extra bill you'll have to pay on delivery. Back in December, they charged me $70 in brokerage fees on a $380 order from Markertek. USPS/Canada Post works for me.

I'm done with UPS. Wait until you see the extra bill you'll have to pay on delivery. Back in December, they charged me $70 in brokerage fees on a $380 order from Markertek. USPS/Canada Post works for me.

In order to avoid the ridiculous charges I used go to Canada Customs and broker my own packages. Takes about 15-20 minutes, but then I leave near the hubs.

I stopped using their services (delivery) for the longest time until I discovered I could do it myself.

Recently they called to see if I would like to do it myself or have them do it. The costs have, in some cases, gone way down. The last package had a $10 brokerage fee which was well worth it in lieu of the time. 

If packages do come with serious brokerage fees I tell the delivery person to take it back to the depot and have them call me about brokering it myself which means simply paying any duty (if applicable) and the taxes.