Where in LA?

enginufuk

Hi LA folks,

I just got to LA and I'm absolutely brand new to the area. I have some time and I want to check and see the place as much as I can so my question is; What part of LA might be a good idea to move into "IF" the focus was ONLY being in the most convenient location for most non-union sound mixer/recordist gigs. I'm aware that it will be a relative question in some sense however since I don't know anything about LA I wouldn't want to move somewhere that I might have a hard time reaching production houses, overall gigs, etc... 

If anyone is around and wants to meet up (even for a short time) I really would love to!

thanks

Engin

"I wouldn't want to move somewhere that I might have a hard time reaching production houses, overall gigs, etc..."

You will find that you may have a hard time reaching anything anywhere in L.A. no matter where you're living. Traffic has gotten so bad it seems to take an hour to go anywhere these days. Unless you live in Burbank and get on a (union) TV show that goes for several seasons, wherever you live there will be days when things are close and then days when it's almost impossible. People I know who live in Hollywood seem to be central enough that most of your commutes will be bearable, but keep in mind that production locations are all over Southern California and they have no problem scheduling things such that you may be in Long Beach one day and then Pasadena the next, then on to night shooting in San Pedro.

Nothing is "convenient" there.... Wait, not true..  Maybe buy a home N. of Sunset in the hills just above the Whiskey..  bring your wallet..LOL

Prepare for long hours in your car... and a love affair (or hate affair) with the 101,170,5,405,105,605,210,118 freeways...

Where to go? who knows... what and how much can you tolerate? If you don't mind leaving home at 5:30 am you can pretty much move anywhere... it's the ride home that will get ya...  But wait, there's "Fast track"!!  It's only money, who cares...

For amusement I would check the South Bay.. Manhatten Beach, Hermosa Beach and Redondo beach...  Farther away but making a comeback, Long beach and Belmont Shores... Santa Monica... maybe, not my idea of a good time..

Silverlake is interesting as is Eagle rock... but these are not for everyone...

Then theres the Valley...  Sherman Oaks, Studio City, NOHO, Burbank, and other bedroom communities...  I would spend at least 5 days checking them all out... then carefully make your decision...  My vote... South Bay... When your NOT working, it's best to be there...

Good luck... bring your patience...  Wait, your from NY....  you'll be OK..

Jeff is correct, unless your on a show, in the same spot everyday, you can and might be all over the place. One day I'm in Santa Clarita, the next in Malibu, then Hollywood, then Palmdale... it can be a real pain in the ass...

I have found that the Valley, Sherman oaks/Encino is quite central in getting anywhere.

Los Feliz/silver lake was the worst. Just getting out of Los Feliz took forever.

I was in Sherman Oaks, and mixing Fringe on a room they put together in the production offices above the Hustler store on Sunset.

I could get there in under half an hour by taking Benedict Canyon.

As far as big cities go, I find that the traffic really is no worse than other by cities.

With the advantage, you can bypass the freeways and take the surface streets.

It takes me about half an hour to get from Encino to Hollywood way and Magnolia, where I am mixing.

For someone just moving here, I would never suggest the South Bay / beach cities.

Our receptionist just moved to Glendale from there. As it was taking her up to 2 hours to get to Burbank in the morning.

And living in the Hills isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Having to get in your car just t go get some milk gets old.

I have found that the Valley, Sherman oaks/Encino is quite central in getting anywhere.

Los Feliz/silver lake was the worst. Just getting out of Los Feliz took forever.

I was in Sherman Oaks, and mixing Fringe on a room they put together in the production offices above the Hustler store on Sunset.

I could get there in under half an hour by taking Benedict Canyon.

As far as big cities go, I find that the traffic really is no worse than other by cities.

With the advantage, you can bypass the freeways and take the surface streets.

It takes me about half an hour to get from Encino to Hollywood way and Magnolia, where I am mixing.

For someone just moving here, I would never suggest the South Bay / beach cities.

Our receptionist just moved to Glendale from there. As it was taking her up to 2 hours to get to Burbank in the morning.

And living in the Hills isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Having to get in your car just t go get some milk gets old.

I'm in the South Bay, and as long as you leave by 6:15, your golden....  after that a disaster...  Going home, not a big deal, but it is traffic...  Better to be in the South bay X10 any day you are NOT working....  Sitting in the Valley or Hollywood on days off is not real fun....  Your recep. must be leaving from 7 to 730AM...  can't do that...  Your suggesting is based on a receptionist, I have commuted from there for 24 years...

The Hills was a joke mr. Hench..... who can afford a 4 million dollar home there....  you?

The traffic is FAR worse than other cities... Period... only a few come close, and even then the size of that traffic jam in pure miles in diameter is far smaller than L.A.

Surface streets can move, but it is just as stressful as the freeways, just a different kind of rush, rush,....  anyway you cut it, it's rush rush...

Key to ANYWHERE in LA is TIMING.....  if you get out early, you are fine... in reverse, your usually screwed till 7:30PM... at least... from anywhere to anywhere, BUT... Sometimes things really move... it's hit and miss...

Houses in the hills aren't $4 million. Not even close.

I've hit Portland in rush hour. Worst thing ever.

Vancouver, Canada. Awful rush hour traffic. With no surface street options.

I hear Atlanta is horrendous as well.

I remember when I lived in San Francisco, it was awful as well.

That's why I like the Valley.

Santa Monica and West Hollywood are a nightmare.

OK,  Here you go Mr. real estate expert... LOL... 

There are some bargains at 3.0 Million.... some 6 mil or more... some less... My 4 mil. was only a quick reference...

Take a look for yourself.... There are some GREAT dirt lots for 2.9 million.. LOL..

http://www.trulia.com/CA/Los_Angeles,7204,Hollywood_Hills/

Well, seeing as I was house hunting at the height of the housing bubble, literally right befor it collapsed, I know that even then you could find nice places starting at $1-1.2 million back then, in the hills.

Here's one for $995k

http://www.trulia.com/property/3105462834-2056-Stanley-Hills-Pl-Los-Angeles-CA-90046

Now, if you are looking for an estate. That's a different story.

Guys London is the same.Wherever you live,you are looking at 1 hour minimum to drive to work and you need to leave home at 6.30am LATEST otherwise it is a disaster.

And just like Jeff Wexler said,locations could be anywhere within a 50 mile radius of London on a daily basis.

LA?   Topanga canyon IMHO...........

I know that the "boom" is back because SF area traffic is back to where it was, and beyond, at the height of the dotcom boom.  The traffic here is as bad as any I encounter in LA, but doesn't go on for as FAR as it does in LA.   The worst for us is morning calls in Silicon Valley, esp in the Tasman/Cisco area.  People--how about flex time?!  

Another word of cheer--SF is considering a London-style "congestion pricing" scheme! 

philp

Just heard on the radio that the worst traffic in the country is in... Honolulu!  LA is only #2:

http://www.weather.com/safety/autosafety/top-10-worst-traffic-cities-20120815

Just get a good car radio, figure out in advance how long it's going to get from Point A to Point B, and get a good GPS. And leave early.

I hear Atlanta is horrendous as well.

We have some wonderful multi lane parking lots.  Best commute time is 2 to 5:30 am.

They are also having fun repaving the top side.

I also believe the number one economic engine in Hotlanta is auto accidents.  Everyone is

expected to do their part.

I live in Santa Clarita. Great for kids, and an easy commute to everywhere except Fox, Sony, or Manhattan Beach.

Most non-union stuff is happening in the San Fernando Valley, I'd think. Although it'll be hard to buy anywhere or even rent anywhere if you're expecting to work non-union for long.

If I were 20-something with no kids, and wanted something central and affordable, I'd look into North Hollywood. Just be sure to visit the property at night before you decide. Some parts are pretty sketchy.

Robert

Well, seeing as I was house hunting at the height of the housing bubble, literally right befor it collapsed, I know that even then you could find nice places starting at $1-1.2 million back then, in the hills.

Here's one for $995k

http://www.trulia.com/property/3105462834-2056-Stanley-Hills-Pl-Los-Angeles-CA-90046

Now, if you are looking for an estate. That's a different story.

Yeah that is a good price for the area.  But to show you how the Flippers have forced up prices in L.A. That house sold for 340K in 2001 then 895K Just 3 years later as the bubble was growing.  It probably got up to 1.5 Million before the bubble broke in 2008.  Now it is a deal at 995k.    But remember it was 340k just 12 years ago.  Of course Engin is moving from New York where  2 Bedroom apartments in Manhattan can go for over 2 million.

I lived in Sherman Oaks on Coldwater Canyon close to the 101, and I was able to get into hollywood relatively quickly, as well as Burbank and the west valley. It's pretty centrally located if you need to get in different directions. 

Yeah that is a good price for the area. But to show you how the Flippers have forced up prices in L.A. That house sold for 340K in 2001 then 895K Just 3 years later as the bubble was growing. It probably got up to 1.5 Million before the bubble broke in 2008. Now it is a deal at 995k. But remember it was 340k just 12 years ago. Of course Engin is moving from New York where 2 Bedroom apartments in Manhattan can go for over 2 million.

You think that's bad. Try Vancouver Canada. House prices are insane there.

Studio City- tons of production and some recording studios nearby, huge variety of restaurants and Hollywood is 5-7 miles away. Another bonus- there are lots of apartments/condos. NBC, Warner Bros, Universal and many more are 4 miles away or less. The Audio Dept. 5 miles away, Coffey is actually in Studio City, Location Sound is maybe 3 miles away, As mentioned- traffic is awful but a nice thing about Studio City is all the basic stuff- markets, restaurants, banks, etc., are within walking distance. 

Henchman wrote:

"...That's why I like the Valley. Santa Monica and West Hollywood are a nightmare."

-----

I grew up in Long Beach, have lived in Signal Hill, Huntington Beach, Westwood, Hollywood, Los Feliz, Silverlake, Altadena, Pasadena, and Santa Monica. For the past 10 years I've lived in West Hollywood. Often, my car stays here, parked, for 3-6 days and nights in a row, even when I'm working. How so? For one thing, I can walk or bike or bus to almost anything I need or want to do (Trader Joe's, farmers' markets, restaurants, bars, coffee places, movies, barbers, computer, hardware and pet stores, parks, etc.) . Yes, I actually use the public transportation system on a regular basis, though walking and biking are my primary options. If I'm working at Fox, Paramount, Sunset Gower, Raleigh Hollywood, Downtown, Sony, etc. -- even Universal Studios (the Red Line stops there, and Downtown), I can get to them without using a car. The only exceptions would be if I'm working too far away, have to haul gear, if I'm running late, or perhaps if it's raining (though that usually doesn't stop me, provided I have my rain gear with me, and not on the camera truck).

The SF Valley is hot as f*ck, which alone makes it unbearable to me. I lived in the other Valley (San Gabriel) for over 8 years, and was more than happy to get out of there. Santa Clarita is a nightmarish distance from the center of things, and most gigs, and it's even hotter than the Valley. Santa Monica's traffic sucks, and public transport (buses only) crawls with it. "Bore-ange" County is insanely far away (I left there when I started getting some work in the business).

Home prices are high here, but I don't own a house -- and I don't care to get caught in that trap again. We have rent control in WeHo, though, so I'm content with that.

Non-union gigs don't seem to make much of a difference in regards to this matter, in my experience. They tend to be at private residences or non-studio facilities, but those are all over the map, literally.

Hi again and I want to thank EVERYONE who responded and guided me with their knowledge! I truly appreciate it! What a welcoming family. I also have received a PM offering a meet up. Couldn't make it but still! It just doesn't get any better than that! :)

I couldn't respond earlier because of some little problems such as loosing my iphone charger cable, having limited access to internet and taking my time with my wife... so after all my "Thanks!" is a little late. Sorry!!

My first impression of LA is; 

Amazing place!! What a gorgeous weather, wonderful beaches, streets, hills, smiles, homes, mountains, trees, trees and more incredible trees!... and many other things that just shocked me! (in a great way). Loved Basin AND Valley... Downtown, Venice, Echo Park, Pasadena, Sherman Oaks... One thing I definitely figured out is that LA people takes their city as granted a little bit. :) I'm originally from Istanbul and have been in/around NYC for 8-9 years. Well... I need to say that you (LA) guys live in a place that's incredibly special. 

I also sensed "that" valley vs basin thing from people. It was my first time driving through Sherman Oaks, and Studio City after my first 4-5 days around Silverlake/Venice and I just couldn't stop smiling thinking people actually comparing "this" to the other side of the mountain??? It's like, Zaxcom vs SD game :) Come onnn people!!!  Both sections are amazing!!! I mean it's like heaven man! (written from my small, cold, "facing bunch of warehouse walls" NY apartment, after 1 hr of subway drive (worth 15 mins. actually but endless weekend constructions!!.) around rats and with strong urine smell so... you got the idea!)  YES! NY still offers a lot! but not the most attractive nor healthiest place if you ask me.

So, I understand that it comes down to preference and yes! that's what I learned from my great 9 days trip as well. But the most amazing thing was; many times I found my self thinking "life is beautiful man!" Southern California effect??? :)

I guess after this point, NY is still fine and I mostly find myself thinking "life is fast! run my friend, run!" or "Can't wait to do better here and leave to get an actual house and life!" Unfortunately it feels like many other NYers thinks that way too which is absolutely not fair to the place feeds us.

Engin