Shooting in the Tropics

Michael P Clark

OK so I've got the condoms, rubber gloves, alcohol, Vaseline, hand warmers, toe protectors, desiccant, shower caps, parka, rain covers, blow dryer and 3 weeks amongst tropical islands, boats, sand, water, and air to be concerned about, in April. Yes, I'm talking about work. Thankfully I have an intelligent wife and don't have to explain that list. These are all supplies I gleaned from you guys regarding protection from salt water and humidity.

Any tips for shooting in these locations that you might feel will make things go smoother, safer, cleaner, and smarter would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting a bit neurotic about what could happen if not completely covered.

I'm taking RVD's idea of asking for a cleaning fee for ALL the gear when we get back to America!

You'll need some serious insect repellent,anti-diarrhea medication,a topical antibiotic cream,anti fungal cream,+30 sun block, a sun hat(not baseball cap)and polaroid sunglasses.Don't drink the local water,the locals might be impervious but your metabolism won't be.Be very careful about the meat you eat(chicken is best avoided).But it's not all bad.Preparation is everything and it can be an enjoyable experience.

Good Luck.

BVS

The best thing I ever took on a 5 week job in Borneo was these - take 1 a day: http://www.livingiseasy.co.uk/products/cat1/cat9/cat636/BioCare_TravelGuard_-_15_DuoCaps/

and this bag or one like it...big enough to put my 302 bag into when wading across rivers: http://www.ortlieb.com/_prod.php?lang=en&produkt=sack-pd350

And adopt the wet feet by day(if they're going to get wet)/dry at night (but some powder) to avoid foot rot. These are lessons I learned a bit too late, but next time :)

Rob.

Michael,

don't forget the often over looked backup cables/connectors. and if using rf's, spare antenna's.(7506's) all the stuff you think won't fail (pack in a small pelican with a big piece of tape -marked "backups or spares"

9 out of ten times when someone says there gear doesn't work, guess what? it works. it was the cable.

how about a rain cover for your audio bag? like the shooter slicker or petrol? also after spending time in the swamps and jungles while in the military I cant say this enough please take care of your feet.

http://www.locationsound.com/proaudio/ls/SMTO0005.html

or

http://www.petrolbags.com/products/Sound_Bags_I/PERC/PERC.htm

Yep, got the Petrol version! you probably thought I meant the Lecro rain covers, here...

... shower caps, parka, rain covers, ...

which I have, but I meant this...now if I didn't look like pregnant!

post-122-130815076061_thumb.jpg

The best thing I ever took on a 5 week job in Borneo was these - take 1 a day: http://www.livingiseasy.co.uk/products/cat1/cat9/cat636/BioCare_TravelGuard_-_15_DuoCaps/

and this bag or one like it...big enough to put my 302 bag into when wading across rivers: http://www.ortlieb.com/_prod.php?lang=en&produkt=sack-pd350

And adopt the wet feet by day(if they're going to get wet)/dry at night (but some powder) to avoid foot rot. These are lessons I learned a bit too late, but next time :)

Rob.

Thanks Rob! I'll look around here in the states for the Travelgard. I actually found this bag from a poster here in the archives that will be perfect for this. I love that it's clear. I could keep rolling and see everything if need be.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=30PG&dir_id=758&group_id=8792&cat_id=5685&subcat_id=6058&feature_id=17&bhcp=1

Brian,

Hopefully we will be eating fresh fish most of the time. But you never know. Thanks for the heads up on local foods and water. A camera man I know got Hepatitis from some food or water in Mexico once. Not pretty, and he still gets side effects to this day.

Michael,

don't forget the often over looked backup cables/connectors. and if using rf's, spare antenna's.(7506's) all the stuff you think won't fail (pack in a small pelican with a big piece of tape -marked "backups or spares"

9 out of ten times when someone says there gear doesn't work, guess what? it works. it was the cable.

Frank,

I've been making cables all week in prep for that exact thing. It's the back up gear that sweats me a bit. I have mixer/recorder/mics, I might need a 416 or CS3e if anyone is looking to unload one. CS3e prefered! I have spare antennas for most of my wireless, except my Zaxcoms, which I will order today. Thanks

Guest afewmoreyears

Go to a gun store or Cabelas online and order some Desicant packs.... They come in many sizes and are used to keep guns or gear dry in moist climates....  I'd get some big ones... about 6" X 4" x 3"  some small ones and some packet sized ones.... They work great and can be slid into battery compartments, cases, heck, all over the place.  The good ones can be put in an oven and dried out and renewed.... I have used these for years, they do indeed work great...

Check em out!

Mike,

If you are in and out of the sea,wear some light weight sandshoes, as coral cuts can turn septic very quickly in the tropics.Also a few other nasties lurk in there that you could tread on,hence the polaroids to see through the glare to see where you are walking.

You should get your meds prescribed by your doctor as the stuff you buy over the counter aren't strong enough.

By the way,you haven't said what part of the tropics you are going to.Some of us may be able to give some more specific advice for that area.

Brian

Mike,

If you are in and out of the sea,wear some light weight sandshoes, as coral cuts can turn septic very quickly in the tropics.Also a few other nasties lurk in there that you could tread on,hence the polaroids to see through the glare to see where you are walking.

You should get your meds prescribed by your doctor as the stuff you buy over the counter aren't strong enough.

By the way,you haven't said what part of the tropics you are going to.Some of us may be able to give some more specific advice for that area.

Brian

British Virgin Islands and Netherlands Antilles and probably other groups in that area.

Just know that, should anything electronic take a salt-water dousing - IMMEDIATE flushing and immersion in any available fresh water is a must if there is any chance to save the gear....  this goes for anything electronic....

Mike Filosa, CAS

Atlanta 

(I thought you were already gone.... does this mean I can peek at the Sound Devices 744 sometime next month? - are there

digital mixer features in it ala Deva 2 ??)

Mike,

Just call and we can arrange something. We don't leave until the last few days of March.

are there digital mixer features in it ala Deva 2 ??)

When mixing the outputs of the 744t it's either on that channel or not, no mixing of levels between channels. For example, There are only 2 analog outputs, and 2(stereo) digital outputs. The Analog outputs follow the Digital(1) assignment,  CH1 out, you can have 100% TrackA, TrackB and CH2 output can have 100% TrackA, TrackC, TrackD. While CH3 only has TrackB. But not CH1 output having 25% TrackA, 50% TrackB. You can also assign a different mix to the digital(2) outputs separate from the analog and Digital(1)outputs. You can also assign any input(1,2,3,4) to any Track(A,B,C,D). I haven't used the DevaII in years so I don't remember what digital mixing functions you mean. Hope that helps.

I see you have the goatee/facial hair.  That's a very important accessory!

They handed mine out when I graduated sound school. I was told it's our uniform!

Mike - off-topic, but that's my fault !

The Deva 2 has a 4 x 4 digital mixer built in.... each of the four inputs can be routed to any channel recorded, and each can be added or deleted from any of the 4 outputs... with level control from 0-9 db...

For about 10yrs, this has been a great tool for feeds, mono-summing of music playback tracks, etc...

Oft overlooked value-added feature of a great recorder...

MF