Boom Operator Monitoring - What do you use?

Den Nic

Indrasetno, the MM1 does not implement a boom operator "headphone mic" or a "private line" switch. Your boom op already has the boom microphone he can talk in. If you give him/her a second "headphone"mic, he/she still can not control, if the boom mic is open to the director or the recording mix.

Wisycom offers a PTT option that enables your boom op to switch the signal to a secondary output of the receiver, that can be routed only to your headphone.

Other than that, you could buy a cheap PMR446/freenet "WalkieTalkie" (with headphone output) for communication to you and use your G3 for communication and monitoring to the boom op from an 788t-output. When the communication needs to be private, your boom op can turn off his smqv or phantom power. The PMR446 might or might not disturb your Lectro and Comtek systems.

Apart from that, "headphone mics" come as dynamic, condenser and electret variants.

Hello...danieldh, thank you for your information about the stuff, and yess iam do in private track with my boom op...i would check the store/local ditributor to make sure the newest pricelist...

Thank you...

Welcome Indrasetno. I think buying a Wisycom set (e.g. MCR42+MTB40) is very expencive, if you already have a wireless boom system (smqv+48V box on the belt or on top of the boom?) and you only want PTT. It is much cheaper for you to take the boom out off the mix when your boom op wants to speak in private (or switch off e.g. the 48V box) and use cheap WalkieTalkies.

when I boom-operate, I do not like big headphones, especially with a mic. I use some like these:

jvc-ha-eb-75.jpg