Credit where it's due

Mick

I check in with deadlinehollywooddaily.com and unitedhollywood.blogspot.com every day hoping for some indication that we are near a settlement and that the real victims of this labor dispute, the below the line folks, can return to work. I read today that the writer/producers and director of the show "The New Adventures of Old Christine" had sent $1000 checks to their crew as well as a generous Xmas gift of a Patagonia parka. I then realized how remiss I had been in not mentioning the fact that our show had done something very similar. Over the years the producers of "CSI" have been very good to the crew with Xmas and wrap gifts that were not only generous but thoughful. For example, Disneyland tickets (4), a strand cruiser bicycle, numerous jackets of all kinds, T shirts and caps galore, personal hygene kits, (hopefully for no apparent reason),and photo albums just to name a few. A couple of weeks after the strike started I received a similar check in the mail with a supportive note from Carol Mendelsohn, our showrunner, empathizing with the crew and hoping for a swift reunion of the CSI family. Shortly after that I received another check from the other producers and actors with a similar message of support for the crew, both of which were a complete and welcome surprise.

I've been the instigator and recipient of a fair amount of cynicism over the years but I was genuinely touched at this gesture which of course they didn't have to make at all. It's gratifying to know that there are those in the upper ranks that not only care about the people that make up the crews but that they are willing to "walk the talk" rather than just pay lip service to some nebulous charitable notion which never materializes into anything but conversational apathy.

Carol and the production staff along with Billy, Marg and the cast of "CSI" have always been a class act and I use this forum shamelessly to laud and acknowledge them for the good people they are.

Hopeful but still unemployed,

Mick

Thanks so much for sharing this, Mick.  It kind of made my day to read it.  Our industry gets a bad rap so often, but I've also been lucky enough to work for a lot of good people who treat their crew well.  In the spirit of acknowledgment, I'll use this opportunity to say that I always enjoy your thoughtful, articulate posts (I've read 'em all).  You bring a real sense of community to this forum.  BTW, we met briefly a year or two ago when I day-played on The Ghost Whisperer and stopped by your set to say hello.

Thanks,

Paul

That's great, Mick.  There are some nice folks out there, and we do forget.  Thanks for letting us know, and making my day along with Paul's.

If I'd known about the gift, I would have tried to bleed Josh Mantlo out of a few more bucks at a little poker game the other night.  He's a neighbor here in Valencia, and was my boom guy on Boogeyman 2 this time last year, as you may know.  It was released on DVD recently with not a single looped line.  Your CSI DP was the DP on it, and he'll tell you that it was not easy task for Josh with 2 hand-held F900 with zoom lenses all over the place.

Hope we are all back to work soon,

Robert