Going wireless with the SuperCmit 2U

Chris Durfy

So I want to go wireless with my SuperCmit.

I know the Zaxcom TRX942 can do it, but I was told that the battery life is not too good. Anyone have any experiences to share?  Other viable out of the box solutions?

Currently, my BoomOp has been using his SD MM-1 and Lectro SMV transmitter (which is great for when he needs to boost to 250mw mode when he is a bit further away).

If we were to continue down this road with his current boom kit, we'd have to introduce the Schoeps DA42 (Digital to Analog). Anyone tried this with a wireless boom?

It sure would be great to have a switch that would seamlessly switch the output of the SuperCmit between CMIT and SuperCMIT mode. Has anyone explored this option? I'm thinking a mod to the DA with something like the Lectro mute switch for referees. 

I'd love to hear any other thoughts?

Thanks!

-Chris

i haven't got my super cmit yet,hopefully next week so i can do some test on batt for 942&742.but my 942 definitely very good on battery,its limit is it only transmits either one ch from super cmit.  

the TRX742 plug-on can transmit both analog&digital signal but three AA could run out of time very quickly....but it does two ch transmission 

both 942&742 can be remote gain controlled by zax-net,that's the other system can't provide on the fly,i remember your recorder is 788T,maybe you can consider get/rent a QIFB&742 or 942 to try out first.

Simon,

Thanks for the tip on your workflow!

FYI, My SuperCMIT arrived today. I'll be putting it into play tomorrow on Zombieland: The Series. 

A question: Have you developed any way to switch between CMIT and SuperCMIT mode on the fly? 

(BTW, my wife is English... I may be moving across the pond one day soon! I'll be in the UK in the next couple of months with my wife and son to visit her family with our newly born daughter. Are you near Putney? I'd love to buy you and your boom a round or two!)

Cheers,

-Chris

Hey Chris,

I haven't developed a switch,but you know what- in 2 years of using the mics we have only used them in standard cmit mode

twice........And we just plug the other output from the D/A into the transmitter (or mixer).

We do not use wireless all the time,we are usually on cables unless the shot demands wireless.(I am very nitpicky about that).

BTW,we have never used the *2* DSP setting,in my opinion is not good enough for film use.It sounds horrible and the only 

time i would consider using it would be dialogue that would otherwise have to be ADR'd (maybe shooting dialogue in a football stadium in the stand during a real game or some crazy guerrilla documentary type situation with extreme background noise).

• 2 years later...