What's your favorite on-camera mic?

michaeleaglehall

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever is really crap and picks up every little noise the camera op makes.The last thing you want to hear on shoots is "don't worry we will go with the camera mic". It is hard enough to make a living without giving them the tools to shaft us with sod the camera mic and do your job properly

My two pence worth.

Best John

Sorry if that sounds harsh 

Glad you said that John, I do disagree with you :)

I try and put a decent mic on the camera(s) when shooting docs, it can give an extra ear on what's happening and I can charge extra rental. It's never 'the camera mic' though, it's 'the mic that Jon put on the camera' :)

Favoured mic is the CS1 for best compromise between size and performance. I have used MKH60s, but they have a tendancy to wander into shot. Rycote do a very good Lyre mount with a tube on it for mounting in the camera mic slot, looks good and goes someway to justifying my exorbitant hire fees ;)

Glad you said that John, I do disagree with you :)

I try and put a decent mic on the camera(s) when shooting docs, it can give an extra ear on what's happening and I can charge extra rental. It's never 'the camera mic' though, it's 'the mic that Jon put on the camera' :)

Favoured mic is the CS1 for best compromise between size and performance. I have used MKH60s, but they have a tendancy to wander into shot. Rycote do a very good Lyre mount with a tube on it for mounting in the camera mic slot, looks good and goes someway to justifying my exorbitant hire fees ;)

+100.  I have had very good luck in post w/ camera mics on verite docs--often the shooter is closer to something than I am and I can expend my resources grabbing something else.  I like CS1, lots of shooters I know have 416s.  I don't like ME66 much and they are really too long for newer tiny cameras.  The Rode and Sennheiser plastic "video mics" do ok if protected from the wind, and are about the only thing that will really work on DSLRs and burrito-cams anyhow.

philp

I agree with Jon, Phil, and the rest. Nothing inherently wrong with mics on cameras, and sometimes useful (though of course relying on only an on-camera mic isn't great, etc). Speaking of cheap mics on DSLRs- Rode has a new version of their Videomic. Integrates a sexy-red Rycote Lyre mount; cool. They describe the mic as very directional; dang...I'd prefer something a little wide. Haven't seen or heard this mic. Not expecting too much, but I'd guess we'll be seeing them around.

More info here:

http://www.rodemic.com/videomic

post-286-0-30168100-1361741386_thumb.png

I still need to do more testing before I settle into one that I like.  I've been using an NTG2 because it's also battery powered in case I've got to slap it on a DSLR but I'm not completely satisfied with it.  

Dean Miles recommends an ME64.  http://thelocationcrew.com/blog/gear-lab-3-whats-the-best-all-around-camera-mic/

I'll be watching this thread with interest.  

I tend to recommend Sennheiser 416's for a couple unique reasons.   Their imperviousness to environmental abuse and RF interference .    In the rain with a furry cover, they will function longer than the camera and they are one of the only microphones that will work near a video transmitter.   

Their heavy brass body tends to damp physical noise from the camera mounting as well. 

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

Depending on the show, a mic on the camera can be a very good idea, or a very bad one.

There is a show I'm doing where it's a *very* good idea.

The camera has 4 tracks, and I make use of any of them.

On the 4th track, there is *always* the camera mic, which is actually a KMR81 with a Softie, because it's in my drawer doing nothing.

In case you wonder, I talk with the editing guys everyday, and we work with each other pretty well since 5 years on this show.

Most of the time, they don't use the 4th track, but there has been a few occurrences when it helped, or even saved the shot. Which is precisely the purpose.

But there are shows where I would never put a mic on the camera.

• 1 year later...

I prefer a stereo mic on camera. I have yet to find one fav, because I've seldom have to use one. Theres a Sony one that works fine for b-roll, but I forget the name. The new videomic x from rode looks nice.

For stereo maybe consider the Beyer MCE 72 PV CAM, works quite nicely for what it is, not too long, not too much handling noise susceptibility, frequency response pretty neutral, output level healthy, not too expensive.

post-2842-0-97316700-1412426720_thumb.jp