What's your favorite on-camera mic?

michaeleaglehall

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, allistair said:

If cost wasn't an issue, I'd go with a MKH8060 with softie. I've used it before on C300s with decent results. Decent reach, smallish size, and a hot output so you don't have to drive the crappy camera preamp too hard.

I own both the 8060 and the CSR-2, although haven't done an A/B, feel like the 8060 makes a better boom mic in better sounding spaces, while the CSR-2 has better performance in challenging environments, which would include camera mounting.  It's main disadvantage would be its size / length in some setups - whereas in others that may actually be an advantage (getting the capsule slightly further away from the body).  Sports car vs pickup truck - each has its time and place.

you do make an excellent point regarding the high output in the 8060 though, helps to take the preamp out of the equation a little since it does have an inordinately high output level for a mic.

This is the reason I use onboard mics for every docu-series I manage. I bought six ME64s and mount them on every camera as backup backups and they have captured critical audio at least three times over the last couple of years. Worth every penny.

Cheers,

Evan

I like the ME64 too. Especially if they're mostly on wide lenses on a doc.

On October 25, 2014 at 0:42 AM, Todd Weaver said:

My favorite on camera mic is a DPA4060 mounted just adjacent to the fan on the Red Epic. Just send that feed to the comteks and before you know it, it will be an Arri shoot.

Missed this great idea earlier. :-) Thanks Todd!

2 hours ago, Jim Feeley said:

Ha!

Jim, Thanks. Isn't that a hysterical visual on that? I think about if you had time to do that as a joke, while the camera dept. Is at lunch. And they come back and see that. That would be a great hidden video, for us to watch. Get the director and e.p. in on the joke, wait for them to complain, and have the director say something like "You guys don't have the right lenses?" Or something  ridiculous like that. I think everyone on here should come up with best reply to that reported problem.