Cable for Comtek PR-216 to Canon 5D

BradTheSoundGuy

Will a 3.5mm TRS to 3.5mm TRS work to feed guide track audio to a 5D from a Comtek PR-216? (The same cable you may use to feed your car stereo music from your iPod?)

If not, would someone be so kind as to enlighten me to the proper cable needed? I should also mention that making my own cables is something I'm new at, but I would like to give a try.

Unless things have changed, I believe the audio input of a D5 is mic level only. Pumping a Comtek output into it could easily overdrive the input unless you're super conservative with your levels. I picked up one of these for this purpose from (the dreaded) Radio Shack and it worked well. Unfortunately, RS doesn't put any markings on this cable identifying it as an attenuating cable, so be sure to mark it yourself so as not to confuse it with a regular mini-to-mini cable.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103841

Canon 5D input is indeed mic level.  SO the output of a PR-216 comtek is headphone level ( similar to line level ), not a good idea to feed.  Also remember that the cable on the comtek is used as an receiving antenna.

So with all of this, i had Comtek make me 4 cables from right angle 3.5mm to 3.5mm and 3.5mm to XLr3M.  All cables have there built in line level to mic level pad, have the correct lenght for the antenna function and some components ( i believe capacitors ) in the connectors for the antenna.  Works good for me.

I might be mistaken but I believe the outputs of a 216 receiver are out of phase. I sent two channels of audio to the camera for a guide track using a standard mini to mini cable.

Post called called me later saying audio was nearly non existent, but levels were healthy.

Scratched my head and asked them to try and listen to either left or right and to my relief clean audio to sync with.

That's my two cents.

Peter

Sorry i forgot to mention that the cable I made used a standard mini cable. I cut one connector off and soldered a 3.5 mm stereo mini connector bypassing the ring portioning and soldered the left and right wires to the tip and of course the shield wire to sleeve.

It worked well and no phasing.