Cannon C300 losing sync with SD 664

postaudio

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has this issue.

I was shooting with 3 cannon C300. Jammed sync TOD in the morning and after lunch. We also slated. Frame rate is 23.98

I heard back from post that audio and camera not in sync even using the clap/ slate. Time code drifts about 10 frames.

Do I have to set my time code to a different rate? I'm recording 24bit 48K and set my 664 to 23.98.

The last time I shot with the same camera I was using a 744T and everything was in sync. I was wondering if I need to change my frame rate or if the camera needs to be updated to new firmware.

Any idea?

Thanks.

Ben

I'm currently shooting with (3) C300's and noticed that when a battery is changed out on any of the cameras, the frame rate jumps ahead between 2 and 3 seconds.  I also had a camera drift ahead when media was changed and formatted.  Unfortunately I don't have (3) lockits in my kit so the second AC simply lets me know when a battery is changing out, or media is dumped and we rejam right away.  Fortunately all the cameras are locked off in a studio, so this solution works well for us.  In the future I'd certainly have lockits on ALL cameras.

The rule is if it has got timecode in it ,stick a lockit on it. If production do not want to pay for them then explain as nicely as possible that they are making a mistake and that it will save them money in the long term.If you do not do this then when things are out of sync they will always blame the sound dept as timecode is considered our responsibility.But if you have explained to production that cameras in multi camera or a separate sound scenario will not stay in sync with each other and they choose not to heed your advice and spend a few pounds upfront then you have done your job and you are in the clear.

Best John

It is terrible Mike that we live in such a buck passing world ,but you do not want to be left carrying the can when the shit hits the fan just because someone holding the purse strings does not know they're arse from they're elbow .

Best John

I think that is five metaphors in one sentence. LOL

24 hour run on the 664 (and the 7XX series recorders) has a purpose. It sets the timecode generator from the device's system clock at power-up if the generator is no longer running on the generator's backup power scheme. Other than that, it is identical to the Free Run setting. So if you want to add a step to getting up and running - setting timecode manually - go right ahead. How 24 Hour Run mode works is covered in the various recorder manuals and can be a real timesaver.

Best regards,

Jim