My first Breakaway cable (Remote Audio inspired with extras)

enginufuk

Hi guys,

I make my own cables and this is my first ENG cable. Freshly soldered and wanted to share!
I basically LOVE remote audio cables but I couldn't find one with the specs I want and also wanted to challenge myself a little bit... (not for profit or resale,etc...)

Also I want to thank to all the people who have posted information in the group, Eric Toline for his length suggestions and challenge warning (definitely took it into account!) and of course to Remote Audio. They make some great products!

Here we go:

Cable: 2 short break away units (1.5' each ends) and 2 long center units for different applications (22' and 10' (not photographed yet))

Connectors: 2 XLR outs, 2 ta3f ins, 1/4 TC in, BNC TC out, and Headphone in/out both ways.

engcable_zps760d4952.jpg
cameraend_zpsc44b17b4.jpg</p>
<p>788end_zps6ee1770b.jpg</p>
<p>neutriconend_zpsaf35ace5.jpg</p>
<p>neutriconends_zpsd0bdf87a.jpg

Those look like the colored XLR (or maybe 1/4") collars, which is a genius idea. I couldn't get my cable to fit through the Neutricon collars, since it was too big. It would make sense that the threads are the same across their different products.

Great work! I wish mine looked that good.

Nice. I like that you used the same ends on the cable so it doesn't matter which end you grab. Did you stay close to the Remote Audio pinout? I know that is probably not possible with the BNC line.

Did you put the Neutricon pins in the connector first and then solder the wires, or solder them to the wires and then put them in the connector? I always found it easier to start with the pins mounted in the connector.

If you drill out the bushing you can actually slide the 2931 jacket-and-all through the Neutricon.

Love the colored bushings.

Mark O.

Great work. I went down this road myself, used the 3-pair Remote Audio CA3PS26 cable. Made 2 2X-TA5F ends for Nomad, 2 2X XLR-3M/XLR-5F for DVCPRO cameras, a 2X TA3M/TA5M for RED ONE, and 2 15" and 2 25" extensions. Additionally I made a 2X XLR-3F/XLR-3M whioch allows me to use the cables in-studio for two mic channels and a Clear-Com IFB return. Eventually I'd like to build a small snake box with 2 XLR-3F for mics and 2X XLR-3M for IFB with a chassis-mount Neutricon to connect to the other cables.

Below is one of my DVCPRO ends, the geek got the best of me and I eventually changed the silver XLR-3M's for black with the appropriately colored boots.

And the colored Neutricon boots are part number BSP-0, I grabbed the image below from Mouser.

post-4514-0-53380000-1361971108_thumb.jp

post-4514-0-12543400-1361971116_thumb.pn

Did you put the Neutricon pins in the connector first and then solder the wires, or solder them to the wires and then put them in the connector? I always found it easier to start with the pins mounted in the connector.

If you drill out the bushing you can actually slide the 2931 jacket-and-all through the Neutricon.

Love the colored bushings.

Mark O.

Regarding soldering the wires before or after the pins are mounted, unlike Mark I always solder the pins to the wires and then mount them in the pin block. Experience has proven to me it's the best way to avoid any potential shorts and it's alot easier to solder when not in the pin block. Now if Neutrik would only number the mounting holes life would be sweet.

Eric

Hi guys, thanks for the kind words! really! I'll try to share more info regarding what I have used and how I soldered.

Basically for Neutricons;

A) Used colored BSP colored root (made for 1/4"). They wouldn't work with a thick cable so I needed two steps. 1- take the inside plastic section out (some ring inside holds the piece together) 2- Gently cut the end hole to a bigger hole with a X-acto blade/knife so Mogami 2931 can slide through.

B ) I used all 8 connections. My center connection was ground. I haven't used numbering. Basically relied on the shapes labeled on the Neutrik FI-8 and MI-8's. I soldered only the center (ground) wire to the pin before I mount it to the FI-8 or MI-8. I figured 2 things. 1- If I solder the rest unmounted, it was harder for me to mount later. Cables overlapped. 2- If I did presolder, lengths vary and I didn't like that. I wanted them to go straigt down, no bulkiness, so I had room to cut and adjust the length of each cable. Maybe a hair thick cuts sometimes. (It's a little crazy sounding maybe but I wanted it to look like an art work.)

For cam/mixer ends:

A) Cut the Mogami 2931 jacket out. insert TechFlex. Insert Canare CB05 to cover your cut point.

B ) insert heat shrink cable sleeves (will go under connectors). For female headphone ends get the male 1/8" extension cable going same way using Techflex. Insert Canare CB4 as your female Headphone connector sleeve. Insert Canare CB3 as your BNC (B-RAQ) sleeve. Shrink the heat shrink sleeves with heatgun/hair drier. Standard work for XL ends. For 1/4" connector I used two Canare CB05. I cut head of one of them and inserted opposite way to give a better look.

I'm very humbled with kind words and thank you for suggestions and overall help that I get from this community almost everyday!

Engin

The last time I bought neutricon connectors the pins were already pushed into the housing and it didn't seem possible to get them out without destroying the pins. Is there a trick?

Soldering that way really is hard.

Not familiar with that particular connector but  there are specialized pin extraction tools for a lot of mil spec/aviation plugs.

The last time I bought neutricon connectors the pins were already pushed into the housing and it didn't seem possible to get them out without destroying the pins. Is there a trick?

Once they're all the way in, they're in for good... count me as one who soldered all my pins before inserting them... well most of them. I found that it was easier to solder the common grounds with the pin partially inserted after inserting all of the other pins. After doing 10+ Neutricons you figure a few ways to make things go easier...

post-4514-0-16835300-1361992622_thumb.jp

Holy, Derek: I'd say don't buy from that place anymore, it looks like somebody already opened the package and messed it up, so they re-packaged the connector and re-sold it (pins are clearly out of the shells when bought new)... it's so much easier (imo) to solder the pins out of the shell first. Once inserted, it's quite hard to get them out without breaking something (unless there's a ''miracle tool'' like the one described by nwstudios above).