New Zaxcom Fusion ENG style mixer recorder.

pvanstry

Have you looked at the Tascam X48?  According to it's specs it has all the requirements of telecine, like Video or Tri-Level sync reference, 9 pin sony protocol for remote control and chase-lock sync...

Traditionally, Tascam machines haven't been able to hold up to the use and abuse we subject their machines to in post. But I know we'll be looking at a lot of new gear at NAB in April, and I'll make sure a CF reader for sound is on that list.

Ideally, what we'd love to have is a machine that only plays back DVD-RAM and DVD-R, then has a slot in front for CF cards. You'd think you could just put these functions in a PC, and have it react like a standalone machine (imitating a DV-824, say).

--Marc W.

Traditionally, Tascam machines haven't been able to hold up to the use and abuse we subject their machines to in post. But I know we'll be looking at a lot of new gear at NAB in April, and I'll make sure a CF reader for sound is on that list.

Ideally, what we'd love to have is a machine that only plays back DVD-RAM and DVD-R, then has a slot in front for CF cards. You'd think you could just put these functions in a PC, and have it react like a standalone machine (imitating a DV-824, say).

--Marc W.

Sounds like an apt description of the X48. It is a Windows XP computer in that rackmout machine. It just bundles the software and I/O hardware together in a turn-key device.  There are so many variables in the PC world that putting the hardware and software together helps eliminate interface incompatibilities and the chance that a second manufacturer of a key piece of the puzzle will go belly up , sell out, or dis-contine the product and render the system useless.  As far as reliability is concerned I would think that a X48 type machine with only a Hard drive and easily replaced USB CF adaptor would hold up pretty well. Unlike their multitrack digital tape decks, other than the Hard drive (an easily replaced part) and the fans, there are no moving parts to break or wear out. Especially if operated remotely by the telecine controller.  It also has full Gigabit networking so files could be dropped on the hard drive from any cheap PC or Mac on the network. And unlike a desktop PC it is dedicated to one function so would be less likely to suffer the crashes and virus infections of a machine that serves as an internet portal and has a large number of different software packages installed.

Besides if you were to assemble all the parts on a free-standing Mac or PC to do the same thing it would cost considerably more than the X48.  48 channels of Digital and Analog IO, SMPTE Timecode generator, Midi control,  RS422 control, Tri-level sync board and GUI recording and editing software interface and hardware based metering and transport controls all from different companies would be a headache to assemble and keep running and the cost would be prohibitive.

---Courtney

• 2 weeks later...

I did take a look and asked a few questions.  Looks like basically  a re-packaged Deva 5.8 lite.  It has similar front panel and touch screen and identical I/O and pot layout.  Buttons on the front are different in their labeling.  Less metadata input controls from the buttons and more from the touch screen.  The configuration he was showing was setup with a Zaxcom TRX900 stereo Camera Hop attached to a right-angle bracket on the right side.  This was connected via short custom pigtail cable to the camera 10 pin connector on the right side of the Fusion and used the ifb channel for camera monitor return.  Unit records to MARF (Proprietary format) on one CF card then copies or creates the BWF file onto a second card when you stop recording.  Although Glen indicated that this copy process could be going on in the background while recording a new take.  It seems to be really a Deva 5.8 with the internal hard drive replaced by a CF card and no internal DVD drive.

The second card is formatted by the Fusion using Fat 32.  It will not take CF cards that have been formatted in other machines or in your laptop.  So if you have a CF card you have pulled out of a SD machine or with playback files from your laptop, it will not play on the fusion. In order to record in the Fusion on card from another source, you must format the Card in the Fusion erasing everything.

I tried putting the fusion formatted CF card in a SD 744 and it was not able to mount and use the mostly empty card to record files unless it re-formatted the card.  So there is basically no interchangeability in either direction between the Deva Fusion and the SD 744t although they both record on FAT32 formatted CF cards and create  Standard Broadcast Wav files.

I also put the Fusion formatted CF card in a Marantz PMD660 and it was able to record it's files in its own folder without having to re-format.

I didn't get a chance to ask Glen if the unit could be used in telecine to chase-lock to time code using a 9 pin RS422 control.

Perhaps you can still get a look. I think Glen said he was going to be in town through Sunday and was going to attend the CAS awards on Saturday night.

----Courtney

I wonder if the USB port is really a USB port that you can plug a drive into...

Same battery compartment design... they'll never learn.

I believe the USB port is only for a PS2 USB keyboard for metadata entry.  There is a Firewire port for external drive though.  You can plug in a DVD or Ext HD.

The external HD must be formated by the Fusion though.

---Courtney

You have to poke a metal stick from one

side to push the battery, not quite far enough to get a hold of, out

the other side. It's even worse if you use Lithium NP1's (lighter). I long for the days I could

easily push a button on the side of a PD-4 and the battery would fall

out in my hand. Why Zaxcom won't do a simple mechanical re-design of

prior problems when they build new versions of hardware is beyond me.

I have a Deva 4 that has a port labeled USB. It's not. It's for keyboards only. Just wondering why they don't fully implement the port. There's more USB drives than Firewire and it will only keep going that direction...

the other side. It's even worse if you use Lithium NP1's (lighter).

At least it's now part of the machine. When I got my Deva initially, there was just a hole and I had to keep a screwdriver around to poke the battery with. The worst part was getting a screwdriver long enough to tighten the screw when they sent me the battery ejector.

Wayne

At least it's now part of the machine. When I got my Deva initially, there was just a hole and I had to keep a screwdriver around to poke the battery with.

Wayne

And before that...  no hole at all. Lots of potential drama drilling a hole through the machine while an NP-1 is still inside. There probably aren't too many who remember that a filament tape "tab" had to be put on every NP-1 used in the early Devas and it was a pull on this tab that was the only way to get a battery out. Once enough people broke the tape tabs the idea of a hole through the casing was the next "fix" for the battery compartment. I think the present solution, a permanent push - pin to eject the battery, works just fine.

-  Jeff Wexler

the other side. It's even worse if you use Lithium NP1's (lighter). I long for the days I could

easily push a button on the side of a PD-4 and the battery would fall

out in my hand. Why Zaxcom won't do a simple mechanical re-design of

prior problems when they build new versions of hardware is beyond me.

I have a Deva 4 that has a port labeled USB. It's not. It's for keyboards only. Just wondering why they don't fully implement the port. There's more USB drives than Firewire and it will only keep going that direction...

Stacy,

I had a feeling you were going to refer to the pd-4. I thought that would be good to, but zaxcom people told me they got negative feedback on that design, because that the spring on the pd-4 does not work or fails alot, have you ever had to release a battery from yr pd-4 using a cc or drivers licence.

I personally never had a problem getting a battery out of a pd4. The size of the compartment was loose enough that it just slid right out. The Deva is kinda tight - to very tight, depending on the battery manufacturer.

Don't get me wrong. Love my Deva. It the best machine out there (so far). I wish they would just stay ahead of the curve. These are simple mechanical engineering issues (their week point) that they don't addressed.

For what it's worth:  Our service department saw many, many PD-4 machines with broken battery release arms. To the user, the release button would move normally but the battery would not be released. The release arm would often break when the button was pushed without first pushing the battery in to relieve the pressure. When this release arm broke, the battery was almost impossible to get out without taking the recorder apart.

Yes, the Deva battery plunger is so simple it is nearly crude, but the batteries normally come out if you push the plunger fast enough. When thread-locker is used on the screw that holds the assembly together, it has been more reliable than the PD-4 system in my experience.

However, I would like to see a sping installed that keeps the plunger retracted (and quiet) when a battery is not installed.

Glen Trew

I personally never had a problem getting a battery out of a pd4. The size of the compartment was loose enough that it just slid right out. The Deva is kinda tight - to very tight, depending on the battery manufacturer.

Don't get me wrong. Love my Deva. It the best machine out there (so far). I wish they would just stay ahead of the curve. These are simple mechanical engineering issues (their week point) that they don't address.

However, I would like to see a sping installed that keeps the plunger retracted (and quiet) when a battery is not installed.

Actually one other area that would be nice to have a spring is on the door lock. I can't tell you how many times I've used my Deva over-the-shoulder and have to put tape over the door so it doesn't flap around as I'm walking.

Wayne