Let's talk video monitoring for a minute.

RPSharman

I know we have discussed video monitors before, but we have never really gotten into fiber optic as an option.  A buddy has an AJA dual channel fiber optic system feeding his Black Magic HD monitors.

Markertek has these listed at $1300 for the pair.  They show as unavailable elsewhere.

The Black Magic monitors are about $700.  So we're looking at about $2000.  The cable adds about another $200 or so.  What intrigues me are the long runs and the tiny cable.  It is VERY durable, by the way.  Seems like a good way to go, although no sound to video guy (Comtek/IFB?).

I guess what I am wondering, really, is what are the expectations these days?  The UPM on my pilot is wondering why I require downconverters in the camera package (although she is ordering them).  She said the last guy on her series didn't have HD to begin with, but then bought HD monitors for the series.  But I don't want to run fat HD cables, or any cables for that matter.  I'd rather use a cheap CAT5 system with my current monitors.  But still requires downconverters.

On my regular series, I made downconverters AND Modulus a must-have by making sure the ADs and vanities used handheld monitors, and ran a feed from a receiver up to the production office.  The dimmer operator took a feed too.  Although nobody uses the handhelds any more, the office and dimmer still gets the feed.  So it'll remain.  The 'B' operator gets a little bit more rental out of his aging Modulus, I get to remain completely wireless, and my utility guy doesn't have to waste his efforts chasing down video village as they move 15 times a day.  But when will the UPM add up the numbers and say, "How about some HD monitors?"

For near the same $2000, I could probably get a couple of Modulus and a couple of downconverters of my own and remain wireless.

I don't know.  I'm just blabbering on.

I just don't get why we need to go HD.  I couldn't give a shit what the image looks like.  I just want to know the shots so I can get an idea of what I should expect to be hearing from my crew.  And it helps for visual cues and positioning of the actors for lavs or 2 booms with hugs or action or fluid blocking, etc.  But I don't need HD for that.

I guess I am dreading spending money on something that will not make our job easier (adding a cable), and will not improve the sound.

Thoughts?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My eyes have been on the Teradek Bolt for a few months now; waiting for more on-the-field feedback but I'd say so far it seems a nice kit, and it can bevordered as a dual output for two monitors ( that will receive the same feed, not possible to send two different feeds- or frames)

I'm looking for bag use, but also occasionnaly cart.

Like you say though; that's quite an amount for what it is in the end (a visual aid for boom mic placement).

Amen! Video guy the other day day, was telling me the same thing about the Black Magic Monitors, and how I should really get them. Even after telling him that HD means nothing to me, he still said I should get with the times. I still think its ideal to just buy two Decimators for $1000, and be done with it with Cat5, pricing varying depending on whether you bought or rolled your own. We are wireless as well, and although I enjoy the freedom, I don't like the clarity, and secretly would like to be hardlined. Don't tell my utility, though.

My experience with Fiber Optic, and it was from watching the DIT handle interfacing with the Arri D21 camera, was that it was weak. They went throw broken cable after broken cable. Maybe they beefed up the cable since then?

I think it is quite susceptible to breaking if it is yanked or folded, but both should be easy enough to avoid with proper cable management.  They are durable in terms of roll-over issues, etc.  My friend has used his a while and hasn't broken his 100m cable yet.

One image per system, requiring two CAT5e cables for two images.  Not a reasonable solution, since I don't remember the last time I worked with one camera.

There is such a thing as dual CAT5e cable, but not sure how manageable it is.

http://www.honeywellcable.com/CatalogDocuments/5079.pdf

Every pilot I do, I go through the camera department and have them put down converters in the package. No UPM involved, or permission required. 

Until I get a show that pays me to go to HD monitors and fiber or whatever the latest (expensive) option is, I'm sticking to cat -5 and they pay for the down converters.

I'll bet if your UPM was told by post that they needed a scratch track to the cameras, she wouldn't blink at $600 + per week for that setup. Call bullshit when you see it. 

I love SmallHD monitors.  They have many ways you can build them to work for you.  I bought there DP4 model.  Here is there website: http://www.smallhd.com

I plan to get one of these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/829877-REG/ATOMOS_ATOMH2S001_Connect_Converter_H2S.html

Monitor was 500 plus 350 totals 850 which isn't that bad.  But SmallHD new 7 inch monitors with SDI are around 900. I should also mention they are a great company to deal with.

The key here, for us to to be flexible. And that means be ready for Wireless UHF, standard def video, AND HD. Going all HD you lose out on the first two options, or else you have to re-rig your cart with your old SD monitors. That has been my biggest deterrent to going with HD monitors, no backwards compatibility with Wireless UHF, which is 7 months a year for me. Although I have discovered small, stand alone, DC powered UHF receivers at $250 each. But for three monitors, and buying HD monitors, is too expensive, at this time.

Whatever route just be sure there's no picture cut off, I spent too much on cheap monitors and they all had varying degrees of cutoff caused either by cheap electronics or the bezel.

Until I got TVLogic I never saw the whole picture. The VFM-56w has a lot of stuff I don't need and cost more than I really wanted to pay but I do see what's in the viewfinder at last.

I'm not clear on this...

is your utility the video assist dept ?

No, I think he is referring to the fact that the Utility Sound person typically has to run the cables to Video Village. The Video Assist operator does not run the cables to and from the Sound Cart.

ok....

and it seems to me that what monitors are on our carts is all over the map, and a personal preference thing.  

interfacing them to video set ups that are not ours is variable, and some of us try to have what we might need (Decimator) in our kits, but it is always preferable to have production supply it, either with camera, or as part of our kit rental

Edited by studiomprd

I use SD Monitors with a 1.2 and 2.4 ghz Wireless system. I put my case with the 2 transmitters, 2 Downconverters on the village and transmit back to my cart. The shows I work only allow for me and Boom op, no utility. Running cable and having to move it is not an option. I get really good range from the systems. At this point I don't need HD, if there's a boom shadow, trust me, the entire set will tell me! Bonus, starting to work more and more with Script Supervisors who use ScripE. I tap off my Deciminators and have a BNC feed for them. They really appreciate it..

ML

Don't forget Black Magic Mini Down Converters. $280.00 each to keep using what you already have if for some reason production won't provide. I don't mind the gawkers. That's how I met my wife so I have a soft spot. Sometimes if they invade too much I ask them if they would like to sit on my knee. That usually shames them back to a comfortable distance.

If you're using the Blackmagic Design Smartview Duo, there is a simple solution for most gawkers. 

Mount them upside down.  No, I'm not joking.  You see, typically with LCD monitors, as you get off-axis vertically, in one direction the image gets lighter and, in the other direction, the image gets darker.  If you have them mounted on your cart so you're looking at the monitors at a slight upward angle, then you're better off having a lighter image from your point-of-view, rather than a darker one anyway.  With a slightly lighter image you'll be better able to see the boom, etc.

As delivered (at least with mine) when mounted right side up, the image gets lighter above the monitors and darker from below.  However, if you invert them, it's the other way around.  Therefore gawkers -- who are typically standing behind you will see a much darkened image (unless the person's really short, or your monitors are mounted really high) which will discourage them from using your monitors for anything other than an occasional quick (and dark) glance.

No, you won't have to stand on your head.  The Smartview Duo automatically inverts the image if you mount them upside down.

Voila!  Problem solved and you can see the image better yourself to boot.