Let's talk video monitoring for a minute.

RPSharman

I use SD Monitors with a 1.2 and 2.4 ghz Wireless system. I put my case with the 2 transmitters, 2 Downconverters on the village and transmit back to my cart.

Which wireless video transmitter systems are you using, Mark? I was thinking just a couple of weeks ago how convenient that would be if I could just tap off the main set viewing monitor and get a wireless feed off that, vs. running an SDI cable.  I agree, HD is not mandatory if I'm just trying to judge headroom for the boom.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a Datavideo TLM 170 hm. It's a rackmount folding monitor. When stowed away it only takes up 1U space (although it's quite deep). When folded out it's a beautiful (albeit glossy) 17" monitor. Since my cart is all rack based anyway, this was a perfect fit, when I came across one used. It's only HD ready, which is only a problem on those pesky Red Epic shots. For some reason it works fine on Alexa and all other shoots I've been on (which were supposedly HD too), but with an Epic I only see half the picture. So I got a Blackmagic Up/Down/Cross which works very well. The image is now pretty much SD, which I don't care about. The monitor has got a picture in picture function. It thought I would put the 2nd camera on a second input. Can't be digital then, though. Again the converter could be of help here. Luckily though, I seem to be mostly on one cam productions.

I run a cable to the main video monitor. Whenever I have a utility (which is rare) I have him run a cable, but mostly I do it myself (Boom-ops boom). I might consider the wireless option in the future, but for now this has worked well enough for me.

It's very true about the gawkers. I don't mind much though. It tends to be wardrobe and make-up, one of them would probably just have helped with wiring the actors, so the monitor helps building a good rapport with them. Plus it strengthens my position when asking for a picture feed as sometimes I meet stubborn video people who don't want to help. "Why does sound need a picture?" they ask.

I don't mind people looking over my shoulder.

I give a stern look if they are talking while I am trying to mix, which stops that pretty quickly.

If it's a particularly difficult scene, where I might get distracted by lookers, I just find a spot with no room behind to stand.  Problem solved.  Another reason why I don't like to be tethered to video village.

Robert

It's incredible how many "friends" you suddenly have for a nude scene. I typically have my monitors off once it's sorted out. So it's even funnier when these guys who NEVER come to see how I'm doing, walk up to say "hi", then discover my monitors are off. They stand awkwardly for a minute, as not to seem obvious, then leave.

It's incredible how many "friends" you suddenly have for a nude scene. I typically have my monitors off once it's sorted out. So it's even funnier when these guys who NEVER come to see how I'm doing, walk up to say "hi", then discover my monitors are off. They stand awkwardly for a minute, as not to seem obvious, then leave.

lol

My bet is Jan never goes through this situation at her cart   :D

If you're using the Blackmagic Design Smartview Duo, there is a simple solution for most gawkers. 

Mount them upside down.  No, I'm not joking.  You see, typically with LCD monitors, as you get off-axis vertically, in one direction the image gets lighter and, in the other direction, the image gets darker.  If you have them mounted on your cart so you're looking at the monitors at a slight upward angle, then you're better off having a lighter image from your point-of-view, rather than a darker one anyway.  With a slightly lighter image you'll be better able to see the boom, etc.

As delivered (at least with mine) when mounted right side up, the image gets lighter above the monitors and darker from below.  However, if you invert them, it's the other way around.  Therefore gawkers -- who are typically standing behind you will see a much darkened image (unless the person's really short, or your monitors are mounted really high) which will discourage them from using your monitors for anything other than an occasional quick (and dark) glance.

No, you won't have to stand on your head.  The Smartview Duo automatically inverts the image if you mount them upside down.

Voila!  Problem solved and you can see the image better yourself to boot.

+1 

I did exactly that, good vision for me but for anyone standing around behind me it looks shite. was an accidental discovery but useful in this case.

The blackmagic duo's are only HD-SDI, no standard def or HDMI but I can't remember when I last worked on a set that couldn't provide HD-SDI feeds. I like the clearer image also, easier to spot shadows and not so well hidden lav mics etc. I do have a big fat dual bnc and audio cable that links me and the vid village though so the set up is by no means perfect, wireless would be choice but it needs to be well thought out as there is a heap of wireless hoo haa on sets these days and what works well in the shed may well prove to be problematic once on set. Cables are a pain but they are reliable, simple and cheap which aint a bad start.

c.

C.

... I'm so bad at gambling ...

btw, just re-read my post and it could be kind of misinterpreted... my laugh was about the clever solution Robert found for these ''enexpected friends'' ...

But I would have tought that with a lady, this kind of guys would keep a little shyness to themsleves in such cases...  

• 3 months later...

as someone pointed out the teradek bolt.... we got this unit on set as main videolink from camera to a single receiver and from there to all the monitors by cable. as reach varies (5.8g and walls...), the receiver on a cstand is mostly very close to set or directly on set. and yes sir, its got a FAN that produces a high pitched whine. no problem when shooting outside next to a highway, but completely impossible for quiet interior scenes.

One image per system, requiring two CAT5e cables for two images.  Not a reasonable solution, since I don't remember the last time I worked with one camera.

There is such a thing as dual CAT5e cable, but not sure how manageable it is.

http://www.honeywellcable.com/CatalogDocuments/5079.pdf

Cat 5 is 4 x pairs. A balun would only use one pair. You would have to check out crosstalk but theoretically possible to send 3 x pictures and 1 x sound on a single Cat 5. 

Tim

I have the Blackmagic Dual HD monitors. They look good and you can see A&B cameras.

+1 on the Gawkers hanging around though....

Steve Wytas

www.audio911.com

I also have the Blackmagic Duo. They are inexpensive and work well. Also being 8" and very clear, on this stunt heavy shoot that I am currently on, I get the quad feed which looks fine on a single screen. Tried that with my 7" SD screen and the pictures were so bad as to be unusable. 

Tim

Bummer part of about working with monitors.. Right now, the default feed from video village is usually HD-SDI.  So, I have my nice HD-SDI Ruige monitors, in which I'm really happy about.  But some times, I'm running into 3G-SDI, and the future is coming with 6G-SDI after that.. sucks when things keep changing.

-Richard

I changed over to an SDI to HDMI converter for my last show.  Production provided the Decimator Quad Spliter and the 19" Samsung monitor was about $260.00.  This monitor is mounted on the back of the follow cart facing my cart ( I call it "The Kenn Fuller").  The Camera Op who supplied the SDI to HDMI converter gave it to me after I got him a weekly production rental for umpteem weeks.  I think they cost $30.00 to make, but they're maybe a 100-200 online?

George

And yes, it's an automatic "Everybody Magnet", but I don't mind if people don't block my view.

post-334-0-81831300-1372401719_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...

One of my monitors died this morning on my dual setup... so I am frantically looking for a new one QUICKLY.

I'm planning on upgrading to a triple rackmounted setup. Anyone have any good experiences with any particular SDI capable monitors they'd like to share? Budget is of some concern, but more interested in a good quality monitor with strong contrast and picture. 

Currently using a three channel balun that runs sends me a SDI signal... but I'd be open to HD monitors if they can also do SDI.

Thanks!

-Chris

Thanks Jan! 

As I needed something quickly, here is what I went with:

Marshall Electronics V-R653P-HDSDI

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/366044-REG/Marshall_Electronics_V_R653P_HDSDI_Triple_HD_SDI_SD_SDI_Monitor_Set.html

It does SD and HD. I got a used one on Ebay from a reputable dealer for $1200 (new on BH for $2900)

Cheers,

-Chris

Chris,

If your using a balun from a downconverter, you're using composite video.

If you switch to an HD monitor, you'll not be able to use CAT5.

Lots of triple standard def (composite) monitors out there. There's a brand new one which does both. Let me try to find it. It's 3 RU high, however.

Robert

for you guys using CAT5 - do you

a) always get your mains power from the same source as VV,

be) you don´t use mains but run off battery or

c) use some video isolator (transformer) to avoid any ground loops?

Always use same mains power (AC) when connected to Video cart. Sometimes that doesn't even solve problems so I have used isolators also when needed and occasionally ground lifter (not really recommended).