Sanken CS-3e For Indoor Dialogue Good Choice?

coreyishere

Hmmmmmm

I'm guessing that our subtle Troll,  "audioguy' is back with a new name and a location in his profile.

It seems odd that someone is so able to hit all of our touchy buttons so consistently.

I think our group has a smart and audio knowledgeable Troll who is having some fun with us.

Read this thread from the beginning and you'll find that it reads as absurdly as the "red camera has 4k" spoof.

For details see "Novel Uses for Gaffers Tape" thread in General Discussion.

Cheers

Brent Calkin

If I take the route of using the NTG-2 and H4n combo I still need a boom pole holder right? Also if we want to leave the couch and move around in some scenes we need 2 boom pole holders right?

LOL.....guess I was being too optimistic. It's a small room. Maybe one boom pole holder could manage to cover us both as long as we are fairly close to each other? Also do you guys think the NTG-2 and H4n combo gives professional sounding audio? Sorry for so many questions im just so eager to learn.

I don't think "audioguy" and "coreyishere" have anything to do with eachother. "audioguy" joined February 22, 2013 using the email address < anonymoussoundguy@gmail.com > (which I of course love to see) and then made his first post declaring that if Roland really wanted to sell the R-88 to professionals they better let us name the files anything we want to name them (again, I love to hear this).

Now, we have "coreyishere" who is absolutely a self-professed newbie and several of us have tried to steer him/her in the right direction regarding the no-budget project described.

Neither of these individuals are Trolls but they are both capable of pushing those buttons we do not like to have pushed.

uh.  why did i just read through this...i guess i was curious.

Corey, it is completely clear that you have no idea what you are doing.  Asking questions simply on gear will do nothing if you don't know HOW TO USE IT.  Take a class or something.  You will not learn even the basics here fast enough. 

Otherwise get a student or someone with a modest skill set in audio.  pay them $1500.  You might actually walk away with usable audio.

This thread otherwise reads like someone who is pulling everyone's chain.

Hi Jeff,

I hope you are right.  Just a funny feeling I am getting.  I've been on this board a pretty long time and I've never had this reaction to posts before.  It would take a very sly and knowledgeable person to pull this off.

I find it interesting that "Audioguy" hasn't made any response to me asking if he was a Troll. It's been five days since any posts.    And now a new poster shows up asking questions in such a way to directly push our buttons...

It seems a little too coincidental to me.

I hope I'm wrong, It's a kind of a waste of everyone's time and energy. 

Cheers,

BrentCalkin

Thanks guys. Im not a troll I can ensure you. Isn't there any way I can use my friend to hold my rode ntg2 and the zoom 4hn combo?

If your friend is: "a student or someone with a modest skill set in audio" (as Greg has suggested) then you might be okay. If he's just a friend and possibly just as clueless, you would have to be awfully lucky to get acceptable results.

This is amazing, the second post in as many days, in which the poster is asking for advice for quality of microphones, while stating that there will be no sound person on the shoot.

I hope the o.p. will understand that the half-dozen messages above represent about 200 years' experience in the sound recording business in Hollywood. 

By the same token, one could ask, "hey, I want to be a great cinematographer but know very little about the process. Which lenses should I buy?" Or: "I want to be an Indy 500 driver. What tires should I use to win the race?"

It ain't about the gear... it's about the people

"The shoot is going to take about 15 days actually so paying a sound guy is out of the question with my budget."

Raise more money. If you shoot for 15 days and wind up with awful sound, you blew your whole budget. Trim your script, shoot for 7 days and not as a one man band. Or, shoot 7 days and produce such a good looking and sounding project that you can raise some money to do the next 7 or 8 days. No matter how much "help" you get here, shooting without a sound person with at least base level experience, it is not likely you will wind up with anything that is any good.

I like the way Jeff thinks!  Too often, the answer is: then get more money!  It's kind of like saying, "I want to build a house, but I can't afford to put in a good foundation..."

Kickstarter and other organizations have a method in place to raise money for worthy projects, sometimes based on a short demo or a presentation. I've seen some surprisingly good little films put together this way nowadays, even some that went on to win awards and make (a little) money.

The answer to your last question is the same answer we have all been giving you: good sound CAN be achieved with an h4n and a ntg2 when being used by people who fully understand what they're doing (and the shoot is configured in such a way that these two inexpensive less than fully capable items can produce the desired results and expectations fulfilled).

Should I get the Zoom hn4/ rode ntg2 combo or the Sennheiser MKH50 for indoor dialogue? This is so confusing.

They're not mutually exclusive. The Sennheiser will need to be plugged into something to actually record it. Like so many people in this thread have said before, pay someone else who knows a little more about what they are doing. Students, Craiglist, Mandy are your friends here.

If you are adamant about doing the sound yourself, buy the H4n, an XLR cable, Gitzo boom pole (or painters pole from a hardware store) and a mic you can afford (rode NTG-2 will do fine). You will also need wind protection if any of your film is to take place outside. Doing the camera and positioning a boom well by yourself is impossible, so if you have a friend who can help you out, do that.

/thread.

They're not mutually exclusive. The Sennheiser will need to be plugged into something to actually record it. Like so many people in this thread have said before, pay someone else who knows a little more about what they are doing. Students, Craiglist, Mandy are your friends here.

If you are adamant about doing the sound yourself, buy the H4n, an XLR cable, Gitzo boom pole (or painters pole from a hardware store) and a mic you can afford (rode NTG-2 will do fine). You will also need wind protection if any of your film is to take place outside. Doing the camera and positioning a boom well by yourself is impossible, so if you have a friend who can help you out, do that.

/thread.

Thanks. What would the Sennheiser MKH50 need to be plugged into? Im a little confused. It doesn't plug into the canon 7d? If I get someone to hold the boom pole which mic would be the better choice for indoor dialogue?

No, it plugs into the same thing that the NTG-2 plugs into - an XLR input that can provide it with phantom power. If you look at the output of any mic, and the available inputs on a 7D you would know this.

This was answered above. I suggest you actually go back and read the thread. 

Technically the MKH-50 MIGHT sound better that the NTG-2, but that depends on the person using it, also stated above.

Thanks a ton! So I figure I will try out the NTg-2 with the hn4 because I can buy it at bel air camera I think. If it's not what im looking for I just pay a restocking fee of like $30. You guys have been so kind to me and im grateful for that.

I know I might not seem like I know what I am doing but I promise you my movie will have good sound. I will make sure it does. Any other tips and im grateful.