Sanken CS-3e For Indoor Dialogue Good Choice?

coreyishere

Lav mics will probably be your best option since you know nothing about sound. They are expensive however. The professional wireless microphone systems we use range from $2000 -$5000 per channel. You would need two of these systems and a mixer to combine the signals. Although you can record to your 7d it is highly unadviseable.

An amateur boom operator is often worse than a c-stand. The sanken cs3 is one of the most directional mics out there right next to long shotguns such as the MKH-70, kmr82 and the super CMIT. A good boom operator moves the mic into the perfect position for every line moving between actors for different lines and following even subtle head movements. Directional mics such as the ones above are challenging tools to use and will screw you on a c stand and be even worse with an amateur boom op who will mis-que.

The MKH-50 would be a good choice to plant between them on a cstand if they stay seated on the couch and talk towards each other. As others have brought up you then need a mixer or some other phantom power source and a way to either feed it to your camera or a way to sync it afterwards if you record it separately.

The h4n might work nicely if you can get it close enough planted right between them and the actors are loud.

If what you want is good audio you need to hire a sound guy.

" Lav mics will probably be your best option since you know nothing about sound. They are expensive however. "

Lav mic's do not have to be wireless...

wired might be fine for two people sitting on a couch...

of course two people sitting on a couch does not sound like much of a "feature" length movie to me,....

Hi,

are you being serious about that box? I have heard a lot about post production and how important it is for sound. I hope you are being serious. Does it really do wonders for dialogue?

If so is there a tutorial I could watch or something? That box is really cheap too. Thanks so much!

The best thing about it is it's completely wireless. There are no wires to connect for it to do what it does. It also makes use of wireless power: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_energy_transfer

Mark O. 

guys I am getting the zoom hn4 and hooking my rode ntg-2 into it. I hope this works out. I know some people complain of problems with this set up while others say it produces good audio. At this point I am just ready to dive in and try something.

Dive in, yes, please do. Your time, and ours, will be much better spent when you finally start hooking things up, listening, figuring out whether you will get the results you desire with your chosen method rather than endlessly seeking answers to your question "will it sound good?"

hey guys bought the zoom last night as well as some xlr cable. I had to download adobe premiere cs6 and it took forever. By the time I got it all done it took till 1 am. I have work today but am going to do some sound test tonight with the equipment. The guy at Sammys Camera said the rode ntg-2 and zoom h4n would give me good sound.

Guess I will have to wait until tonight to see. Hope this topic is not bugging you guys too much. At least I am learning. I will keep you guys updated.

"The guy at Sammys Camera said the rode ntg-2 and zoom h4n would give me good sound.

Guess I will have to wait until tonight to see. Hope this topic is not bugging you guys too much. At least I am learning. I will keep you guys updated."

The Topic is okay but the "discussion" that followed definitely bugs me. See if you can make a deal with the guy at Sammy's Camera to continue all this consultation. 

Guys im new. I admit that im a newbie. But I can do this with a lot of hard work and learning. I am just grateful that I am even a part of this group. I feel very honored and fortunate to even have access to the great minds here.

I am very excited to try this out tonight. I have high hopes and cannot wait to get started. It feels like Christmas for me. I was about to get the Tascam actually but the guy at Sammys said the zoom would be better. So I just took a chance with the zoom. I will report back to you guys with an audio clip if thats ok in a day or so.

"The guy at Sammys Camera said the rode ntg-2 and zoom h4n would give me good sound.

Guess I will have to wait until tonight to see. Hope this topic is not bugging you guys too much. At least I am learning. I will keep you guys updated."

The Topic is okay but the "discussion" that followed definitely bugs me. See if you can make a deal with the guy at Sammy's Camera to continue all this consultation. 

Sorry Jeff. I will try to keep things professional. I appreciate your patience with me. I just hope this thread can help other newbies in the future that are as lost as me.

" The guy at Sammys Camera said the rode ntg-2 and zoom h4n would give me good sound. "

and if it doesn't, be sure to ask him to help you out...

" about to get the Tascam actually but the guy at Sammys said the zoom would be better. "

did he say why?

I will only hint that this may have something to do with why we professionals don't discuss or buy our sound equipment at Sammy's Camera.

We tend to patronize our "usual suspects", where the advice is solid, and the reps are not on commission.

" The guy at Sammys Camera said the rode ntg-2 and zoom h4n would give me good sound. "

and if it doesn't, be sure to ask him to help you out...

" about to get the Tascam actually but the guy at Sammys said the zoom would be better. "

did he say why?

I will only hint that this may have something to do with why we professionals don't discuss or buy our sound equipment at Sammy's Camera.

We tend to patronize our "usual suspects", where the advice is solid, and the reps are not on commission.

He didn't give a real reason. Just said the ntg-2 and h4n are a great combo. But I will trust my ears.  I am sure I can get some good sound from this setup if I experiment enough.