Sanken CS-3e For Indoor Dialogue Good Choice?

coreyishere

This is the rode ntg-2 hooked into the zoom h4n. I am holding the boom stick right above my actors head. This is without any post production. I actually made some changes in post production and will upload it tomorrow.

What Boom stick did you use? Getting the right one is very important. Anyway this is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

This is insane! Please, coreyshere, this discussion forum is NOT film school! You have been given all the advice that anyone has the patience to offer. We are not going to partner with you, day by day, testing, learning, critiquing your choices, etc. Please, do not post here anymore. Come back after your epic project is accepted at Sundance and send us a link to the video trailer on YouTube.

...and the clip you posted above sounds awful.

I was gonna comment on how great the CS-3e is, but see this is the wrong thread... I second Jeff's post. THIS IS NOT FILM SCHOOL!!!

Tough room!

If Corey's question is sincere and this is not a troll, I'd read Mark Ulano's excellent article "The Art of Zen-Boom," which is a very serious article on the challenge of booming actors and getting the microphone where it needs to be. 

I think the quality of the pole, the quality of the mount, the quality of the microphone, and the nature of the room acoustics are all important factors, but the guy running the boom has more of an effect than anything -- and that's pretty much Ulano's argument. Being a boom op looks simple on the surface, but it's a physically demanding, very complex job; I have huge respect for people who do this well (and I'm not in that group). A great boom op has the agility of a ballet dancer/gymnast, the intellect of a chess player, and also has to understand lighting (particularly how to avoid casting shadows), plus grasp the importance of set politics and doing the job while avoiding stepping on other department's toes.

BTW, small nit-pick: I would always center the mix for clips posted online so that you get sound out of both channels. Sound coming out of just one channel is wonky to me.