A personal beast....

Philip Perkins

Today we decorated an F900 as follows:  Miranda downconvertor, 3 TX (TC to me, TC to script, SD video to video assist), 2 audio RX (from me), battery, big zoom, rods, matte box w/ filters, follow-focus, battery for video assist TX, 8" HD monitor.  Handheld all day, w/ very short-attention-span shooter-director.  Ass't cam, DIT, me, script, AD, 2nd AD, talent, bunch of extras, clients, grip, art, wardrobe, hair/MU and electric all running behind and then frantically ducking out of the way as the camera would pan around.  Bay Meadows racetrack in San Mateo.  Long day.  (All dialog done directly under PA speakers.)

Philip Perkins

Philip,What??? were you to busy to stop and take a picture of that rig for us? Lazy soundman. Sounds like a day that it was better not to be Philip Perkins. I was a lazy soundman today, I did 2nd unit w a 3 person crew, on stage and got to visit w 1st unit sound crew as well. They were cool cats, I had fun and income. Some days............

CrewC

I was a lazy soundman today, I did 2nd unit w a 3 person crew, on stage and got to visit w 1st unit sound crew as well. They were cool cats, I had fun and income.

CrewC

Crew worked with us on the movie we are on, and it was great to see him and his crew. They did have an easy day (so did we actually) but since we were on separate stages and different call times, we didn't get to socialize too much. I would love to spend more time with Crew --- I have a lot that I could learn from him about how to be really relaxed at work and enjoy the day ("relax" and "enjoy" are two things that I have always had trouble with in connection with work).

Thanks again, Crew, Mary Dixie and Case, for spending an enjoyable day with us.

-  Jeff Wexler

Philip,What??? were you to busy to stop and take a picture of that rig for us? Lazy soundman. Sounds like a day that it was better not to be Philip Perkins. I was a lazy soundman today, I did 2nd unit w a 3 person crew, on stage and got to visit w 1st unit sound crew as well. They were cool cats, I had fun and income. Some days............

CrewC

I really wanted a pic of the F900, if only to show the rental house what we were up against.  Why we neeeded the Miranda and not a weeny Aja convertor, why their camera i snow covered w/ velcro, etc..  Sorry about that.

Philip Perkins

Hey Philip, I was kidding you. Unfortunately I too have seen some unholy looking rigs like the one you described. This is evolution of tech??? Seems at times we are taking two steps back for every step forward.

Hey Jeff, thanks for the kind words. Marydixie and I always feel that having a good time regardless of the facts on the set is equal to doing the job right. As to you learning to have a good time... I've been with you enough to know you aced that class. Your day to day fun level is probably depressed a little cause Don and Max are very serious folks. I suggest you put a little something in Don's pyramid juice and see what happens. BTW I like and use said juice straight up myself. Just a thought.

CrewC

The worst beast I have seen yet was at Panavision Woodland Hills. We were doing some crazy experimental music video which was recorded live, rather than played back because the band didn't have any "songs" they just played different jams every time. I mic'd a 40 peice drum set, guitar, 7 string bass, & electric violin. The camera side was all 65mm. They had a techno50, b camera on sticks on a gigantic doorway dolly, and C camera on STEADICAM! This camera had the usual goodies on it, and was rolled and slated from the stand, while the operator locked into the rig. Once slated, he would fly it for no more than ten seconds, and re-stand it. It was amazing to think how heavy that thing was!

65mmemvf.jpg

Crew worked with us on the movie we are on, and it was great to see him and his crew. They did have an easy day (so did we actually) but since we were on separate stages and different call times, we didn't get to socialize too much. I would love to spend more time with Crew --- I have a lot that I could learn from him about how to be really relaxed at work and enjoy the day ("relax" and "enjoy" are two things that I have always had trouble with in connection with work).

Thanks again, Crew, Mary Dixie and Case, for spending an enjoyable day with us.

-  Jeff Wexler

I hear you there, Jeff.  I am a worrier and perfectionist by nature, albeit a good-natured one, so being relaxed while at work is always a big challenge.  It probably sounds like BS to people in other lines of work, like the classic job interview question about your biggest flaw and its classic answer “Well, I work too hard and care too much”, but being a top professional AND having fun at work and being chill on set is really an art and a very important one to master.  Your personality comes through in your posts, Crew, so it's no surprise to hear Jeff's observations.

PG

Hey Paul, I'm glad something comes through in my posts, this is not my natural form of communication but I have grown fond of it as I became addicted to jwsound.net. I think at times I may be the poster child,(a very AARP poster child), of too loose, but the looser I can be before and between takes, the better my focus when we roll. When I was 1st starting out in the 70's, I had the good fortune to work w Bo Harwood on a Casavettes movie. Ben Gazzarra would be loose and riffing on anything and everything up to the point of "roll sound". He would then give a A + performance more often than not. Cut. He was cracking jokes again. I have seen other actors do this over the years. I learned that as a young boom op and use it as a mixer. It is more Zen and in the moment that way. I seems better for me than being overly focused, uptight, or mad. I've tried recording with every mind set out there, even under the influence a time or two, and having fun works the best IMO.

CrewC