Boom and Blimp protection for transport

berniebeaudry

slightly off but still ... Do you remove your mics from the suspensions when transport your gear or do you keep it joint? I have all my mics in a case with cut out foam but don`t seperate mics from the holders. I was told by a Schoeps staff member to do so otherwise the rubberbands will expand more than wanted and need to be replaced sooner than neccessary.

But it would slow down the sound dep and maybe drag me from doing a last minute change.

Wonder how you guys handle this?

Matthias

slightly off but still ... Do you remove your mics from the suspensions when transport your gear or do you keep it joint? I have all my mics in a case with cut out foam but don`t seperate mics from the holders. I was told by a Schoeps staff member to do so otherwise the rubberbands will expand more than wanted and need to be replaced sooner than neccessary.

Matthias

The fishpoles have traveled over the years in various plastic tube-type holders (the ones made by Plano and others for fishing poles) and the few microphones that I have that typically go in blimp type windscreens do travel within those windscreens. I have 2 Schoeps microphones in modified Rycote mounts/windscreens, 2 Sanken CS-3e, each in blimp-type windscreens. These all go into a foam lined case with divided compartments. I have not seen any additional wear or problems doing it this way (but I imagine there is some validity to what the person said about this practice accelerating the aging process).

-  JW

I carry two mounted and fully Rycote-dressed mics in a Plano AirGlide case:

A 416 w/thirteen foot VDB lays in first (Rycote folded in) -- foam cushioned -- then a Schoeps mounted on an eight foot pole with pipe insulation foam slipped around it, lays on top of that.  I made my own foam cushion inserts and used the ones that came with it for something else -- and the included straps found a home on my carts -- that's ecology.

http://www.planomolding.com/content/index.cfm?siteaction=product&lineid=1&groupid=10&sectionid=29&partid=27

(Click on magnifying glass for closer view.)

Here's more information:

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2007/11/10/planos-airglide%E2%84%A2-rifle-case-popular-with-shooters/

Although I've seen them listed for as much as $88, for the protection it offers, it's surprisingly affordable:

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-AirGlide-Single-Scoped-Shotgun-Rifle/dp/B0001NA22C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1202827753&sr=8-1

An added benefit -- when people see you toting a gun case on set, you suddenly get increased respect.

Ironically, in and out of numerous government buildings, past security, et al, nary a stray question about the case or its contents.

Totally off-topic note:  While writing this post, three (count-em, three) different commercials that I worked on recently aired during the "Today Show" local cutaway on the TV in front of me.

JB