Wafian

Alan

Haven't, but looks cool.  I didn't see anything about audio on their site--assume what, 4 tracks?  I wonder how noisy it is?

Philip Perkins

Phil,

Not sure about it either, I will be having a prod. meeting tomorrow, these guys wanna shoot F900 at first but now these "brilliant" idea came.

From specs, it looks like I could feed it with an AES out from the PD606, but TC out from Wafian is an option. If they really go with these beast, I will have to remind them about the TC option and fan noise etc..etc..

Wafian audio specs will be 8 track via HD-SDI, 2 track on AES or analog balance XLR. Timecode support true 24fps, better be, so i can trigger the auto record or at least jam my recorder with proper 24 fps TC.

Since when choosing a video recorder becomes a soundman problem?? I think we are getting all these crap more and more often.

Alan

Hi All,

Did a test shoot with the Wafian, on a XL HD camera. Shooting on 25 fps frame rate, PD6 is my recorder on this shoot. The Wafian can do a HD down convert, so hooray, I don't need a HD monitor om my sound cart, although the DP offer to loan me the SWIT HD 7" monitor thru out the shoot.

First experience tells me this thing might be a little problematic in quiet indoor, I can hear the fan, not loud, something we can tame easily. The AES input is great, I patch my PD6 AES out to the Wafian, no levels to set.

TC in/out option is there, and I can trigger auto record on my PD6, Wafian rolls, PD6 rolls. So its record run thru out.

Wafian comes with a RS422 (Sony 9 pin) remote port, I was thinking, during my actual shoot with my PD606 will I be able to use 9 pin remote on my PD606 to remote the Wafian??

All in all is quite a smooth ride with this box, but the camera dept life line depending on a HD-SDI BNC, well hm........

Happy to know that the producer wanted double system :) Will be getting my PD606 this week, will report on my first experience with PD606.

Alan Chong

So the drill will be you send a 2-mix via AES to the Wafian, and record your isos on the 606?  And the rest of the audio tracks of the Wafian are only addressable via HDSDI?    That's kind of too bad, although if I were you I'd be glad to be using my own recorder for the multitrack.  I've done several shoots w/ the Sony SRW1 (speaking of FAN NOISE), it can take 4 analog ins and 8 more digital via AES on a D-sub.  We though about sending the prefade isos to that deck too to simplify post, but the on-set AES clocking looked like to was going to be a risky mess and I just used the SDW-1 analog channels for the 2 mix and did the isos in Metacorder.  I suppose that we may end up being told to send all audio to the video recorder (have heard of this on shoots using HDCAMSR decks), but with these more portable solutions those extra channels are not really available to us in field configs.  (Probably a good thing.)

Philip Perkins

So the drill will be you send a 2-mix via AES to the Wafian, and record your isos on the 606?  And the rest of the audio tracks of the Wafian are only addressable via HDSDI?    That's kind of too bad, although if I were you I'd be glad to be using my own recorder for the multitrack. 

Philip Perkins

Phil,

Since I'm doing the audio post, I draw out the work flow for the production, they still need to sync my PD606 audio. I was talking to the producer about not giving Wafian any audio but taking into consideration that they need audio when playing back from Wafian, well its still better to have audio into the Wafian.

The post have to sync it, so as to create a reference for me to re-conform back my isos when I'm cutting the dialog. Even thou we have the same TC data, having the exact audio file name will create an easier process for me to post conform.

Yes its great that productions now a days, especially in Asia, still have a strong belief in doing double system. I'm glad :)

Alan