Aftermarket L-Series batteries for 7-series?

RPSharman

Another topic got me thinking...

I'm pretty sure all my L-series batteries are garbage at this point.

Looking to replace them, and hoping folks here might have some **first-hand** experience with either Sony or after-market batteries, and can share what to look for and to avoid.

Thanks

The Lenmar equivalent NP-F970 works very well. The one I have doesn't communicate with the Sony charger properly however. It seems to think the battery has a capacity of like 700 hours. But it does charge full up and lasts a long time.

yeah the Sony charger doesn't always know what is going on, but just let it run overnight and you'll be good to go in the morning.

I have a Lenmar that I would avoid.  Its contacts are a simple "L" shape, pressed into the corners of the housing.  The "normal" contacts I've seen on every other L-mount are cylindrical and require full penetration between the battery and the device.  The Lenmar I have gave me fits recently when I realized it would not mount properly to my Lectro battsled.  I don't know if every Lenmar is this way, but it's something to look out for.  

Looking at the comments and reviews of the Maximal Power, they sound a lot like my experience with some "impact" branded L-series.

The construction is extremely cheap and thin plastic, the contacts pull out and rip off the internal wires VERY easily... And I've had 2 of them just refuse to take a charge without warning.

For something powering your mission-critical recorder or even the whole bag like I have it... I'm starting to believe that perhaps the cheapest option isn't the best option.

I have yet to look at the Pearstone version, but for these Maximal / impact versions... I'll pass. I'd rather spend a few dollars more and have them more durable and last a lot longer.

I've been happy with batts I have bought off eBay, often at extremely low prices. Initially I used them for my 744 but I have since moved on to using external power and only the smallest battery as an internal, just do I can hot swap the NP1. The eBay versions likely have a lower cycle life but more than bade up for in the purchase price.

Yep, I agree with PhilP above: there are some counterfeit and weird brands on eBay, some of which are not quite kosher. 

Robert, what are you powering with the L-batteries? The SD 788 or wireless, or what? There may be some alternatives out there beyond the L batteries. Having said that, I use 2 or 3 Sony 4500 mAH InfoLithium batteries I've had for many years, only as a double-secret emergency backup in case my main power fails (on the cart) or the BDS fails (in the bag). The Sony's came in handy once when I was on a shoot that nearly shut down because of a camera viewfinder problem, and by a miracle, their monitor took the same batteries I used. Once in a while, the sound department can be heroes for the camera guys.

Looking at the comments and reviews of the Maximal Power, they sound a lot like my experience with some "impact" branded L-series.

All I can say is that I have used them for over a year with zero issues and getting over 12 hours easily with the slim one on my SRA.

Just got the Maximal battery, and I have to say the build quality (on appearance) is better than any I have seen, with the exception maybe of an original Sony.  I only have one of those, which I bought in an emergency some years ago.  My 7-Series were delivered new with non-Sony batteries anyway, so I'm thinking this might be a pretty good find.  I'll charge it up and give it a whirl.

Unfortunately, I will very rarely use it, but I'll try to test it out on the 744T over the next couple of weeks.

Robert

• 1 year later...

Its great with sushi

haha

I bought 4 wasabi powers from amazon.com cause all my friends say they are solid so I'll try them out.

Also, kinda going off topic, but whats the advantages of using an NP-1 battery vs a Sony NP-F L series batteries? I saw Hawk-woods makes something that's an 4pin-hirose that can be plugged into a SD 633 and powered by L series batteries instead of NP-1.

Also, does anyone make an L-series batt adaptor like this: http://www.hawkwoods.com/Prods/details.php?id=84

in North America?

Also, does anyone make an L-series batt adaptor like this: http://www.hawkwoods.com/Prods/details.php?id=84

in North America?

I use the Hawkwoods DV-SQN4S to power my bag (nomad + 4xSRB) and I love it.

I bought a dozen aftermarket NPF770s and (usually) only change once a day during lunch. The batts last a while, I just make sure and buy the ones with the highest mAH rating. Tons of bang for your buck.

My only criticism is size/shape of the Hawkwoods does not allow for a super easy hot-swap. Whereas NP1s or Audio Root batts slide in and out easily, I have to pull the until out of my bag, swap, then replace. Not the biggest inconvenience, but the space it uses is a little awkward.

This topic and unit has been discussed in detail here many times. Try searching around for more great info about this product.

Cheers,

Evan

Also, kinda going off topic, but whats the advantages of using an NP-1 battery vs a Sony NP-F L series batteries?

generally speaking the lithium NP-1 will output 14.4V, allow for hight power draw and longer runtimes, while NP-F form batteries will run at 7.2V but being cheaper and lighter.

chris

Anyone have any experience with Wasabi Power batteries?

I have two with my Hawkwoods setup, work great. Lenmar as well. The Wasabi batteries don't lock in as tight, so the top clip doesn't lock down when they're in the slot. I actually like this because it makes it easier to swap batteries.

I use the Hawkwoods DV-SQN4S to power my bag (nomad + 4xSRB) and I love it.

I bought a dozen aftermarket NPF770s and (usually) only change once a day during lunch. The batts last a while, I just make sure and buy the ones with the highest mAH rating. Tons of bang for your buck.

My only criticism is size/shape of the Hawkwoods does not allow for a super easy hot-swap. Whereas NP1s or Audio Root batts slide in and out easily, I have to pull the until out of my bag, swap, then replace. Not the biggest inconvenience, but the space it uses is a little awkward.

This topic and unit has been discussed in detail here many times. Try searching around for more great info about this product.

Cheers,

Evan

My solution for my Stingray/633 setup is to velcro the hawkwoods to the inside of the bottom hatch, then when I need to swap which is only after 12+ hours usually, I unclip the hatch and the batteries drop out the bottom, suspended by the velcro. Makes it easier to access.

post-6888-0-44678200-1424118009_thumb.jp

• 1 year later...
On 2/16/2015 at 2:20 PM, Nick Ray Harris said:

I have two with my Hawkwoods setup, work great. Lenmar as well. The Wasabi batteries don't lock in as tight, so the top clip doesn't lock down when they're in the slot. I actually like this because it makes it easier to swap batteries.

My solution for my Stingray/633 setup is to velcro the hawkwoods to the inside of the bottom hatch, then when I need to swap which is only after 12+ hours usually, I unclip the hatch and the batteries drop out the bottom, suspended by the velcro. Makes it easier to access.

01b299c184fccb2068097d5e19a581d0ff0467d19a.jpg

I also use the Hawkwoods to power my 788t+SRb and this would make my life so much easier - looks like it is time to get a new bag with a bottom hatch!  Thanks for the idea!!