Better dead than Red

I was recently asked to provide a reference audio track on a Red Epic (short for Epidemic). This camera emits so much RF hash that three different (model, freq, etc) recievers were swamped and could not get near this camera without interference and noise. I recommended a lead-lined helmet to the operator.

No hash or interference at all on Block 21, at least in LA. I use that for camera hops all the time, even with the Red. I suspect something else was going on that may not have been camera-related.

I wonder if it could have been a video assist transmitter? Some of those are notoriously bad for broadband RFI, all over the UHF spectrum.

I'd be reluctant to wear a "Better Dead Than Red" T-shirt -- the camera department already hates us enough as it is! I don't really hate the camera, but I'm not a fan of the fan (to coin a phrase). 

On narrative projects I put on a G2 for scratch. I just did a job where they wanted primary audio on camera (only boom) and I used my block 21 Zaxcom hop. I used the QRX100, and didn't notice RF hits. They were using a (Preston?) wireless focus/iris/whatever, though the video out was a cable. We had the Pro I/O module, so maybe that fixes everything. 

I've used a G3 GB/B band for a scratch track on Epics without any issues... Until this week. So much RF that the RX was reading full with no switched TX on. The only difference I could tell was this time they were using a V-mount battery plate (not sure of the brand/model, but it was one with a row of BNC connectors at the top, which I guess made it easier to get to the TC input..). So possibly something to do with that, similar to how the RF on a 744 seems to come from around the battery.

This was bought to my attention after they listened to the rushes and I assumed it would be an issue with the Epic and did my test to confirm that it was a camera issue. It also explained why their wireless split feed wasn't working either. At least they have no choice but to sync sound now!

One way to look at the emergence of Red cameras is that they have created more jobs in scripted film type shooting. Maybe not jobs with great pay or perks but jobs none the less. I am happy to have more work as a result of Red and DSLR shoots that wouldn't have happened with more expensive gear.

• 7 months later...

re LewisOB:

i made similar experiences. there are red accessoires made by "action products" that display bnc connectors for timecode, genlock and many others in a more convenient manner on the camera. which is a good thing, the setups are very tidy.

did a feature on epic last summer where it was absolutely impossible to get a clean scratch to cam via senn g3. my rf explorer just showed a impressively massive band of rf signal across the whole spectrum, more or less blacking out the screen when getting close to the camera. for a test, we stripped down the camera to the point where the culprit could only be one of these accessoires. dont know exactly where and how this happened, but one of this things killed more or less everything relying on rf around the camera ( redmote included ). a thing to consider if a scratch on camera is important.

on all the others shoots without this accessoires the g3 worked as it should

greets