Cooper Sound Systems

Steve Joachim

Just recieved this news via email this morning:

Cooper Sound Systems Inc. has decided to cease manufacturing operations.

Cooper Sound Systems will continue to provide warranty service & product support. General service and repairs can only be accepted with prior authorization.

We would like to thank you for your support over the years.

Copper Sound Systems Inc.

Big news for our customers and the members of this newsgroup.

Steve J.

Location Sound Corp.

I spoke with Andy and Janet this morning (I was afraid one of them may have had health issues or something). As it turns out, all is well. They are simply wanting to retire, and can.

Glen Trew

Cooper Sound Systems will continue to provide warranty service & product support. General service and repairs can only be accepted with prior authorization.

Steve J.

Location Sound Corp.

While we will miss Andy's active presence, we will continue to enjoy his legacy!

Andy and Janet are terrific folks and we wish the Cooper family a super retirement...

Andy used to QC every Nagra that entered the (Western) USA, and then kept them working perfectly, when he was "Mr. Nagra Tech", working along with our other great friend and source of the finest quality production sound products, Manfred Klemme; together Andy and Manfred were Nagra, USA!  and that is where they both learned about us, our work, and our needs.  When Andy set out to design a mixer for us, he did exactly that: he designed a mixer for us

Now if someone would license his products, with a commitment to the absolute top quality of the products and the uncompromising support that Cooper Sound Systems is known for.

"Sonus Clarus" !!

I was shocked to hear that Andy is retiring and there will be no more Cooper mixers. My history with mixing panels echos much the same as RVD except that I did my first movie with a Nagra BMT II mixer (which was an accessory add-on for the Nagra III). I then moved on to a very early Sela, followed by the 2880 (which Ivan Kruglak modified for me). I also used an Audio Developments PICO mixer for 2 movies. The thing these all had in common was that none of them sounded as good as a mic plugged right into the Nagra preamps. This prompted a few people to build their own mixers using Nagra or Nagra derived preamps (David Ronne, Neil Stone, Ron Cogswell all wen this route). When Andy first proposed the original Cooper Mixer, I knew it would sound terrific (which of course it did!) and I was pleased to have been involved in its functional design (also taking delivery on either the first or second one off the first production run of the 106).

Since getting my first 106 on up through the present 208 I am using today, I have used the Cooper Mixer on every single movie I have done --- and I couldn't be happier. I will probably be able to use my present 208 right into my own retirement.

-  Jeff Wexler

Guest afewmoreyears

First White bros. motorcycle exhausts..... Now Cooper sound services.....  What is this world coming to.... 

Good for them,  bad for us.... Thank god they will continue to service the units....

Sure, there are other choices,  but I for one love Cooper mixers... always have.... always will...

And the beat goes on...............

Congratulations to Andy and his wife Janet for making it to retirement, not an easy task.  As a long time user and big fan of your design, "The Cooper Mixer", I salute your life's work. You set the bar high, I can't imagine it can be surpassed.

I remember well the day I got my Cooper 106+1. I was at The Roosevelt Hotel in Hollywood mixing a Galleo (wine?) commercial with a Sela Mixer and Nagra. Through the crowd of extra walks Jeff and Don with my new Cooper from the 1st run. All white knobs and looking like a miniature recording studio mixer. I was in the middle of a shoot and couldn't switch it out. After Jeff n Don left, I stared at it like a lunatic. I fell in love with my 106+1 that day before I ever even heard it. Once I heard it and learned the versatility that it provided, I knew I had arrived as a 'Sound Mixer'... Over the years we have recorded more sound than I can fathom and it still sounds sweet. We did it in all sorts of locations and weather. We did it with all sorts of people. We did it recording bullshit as well as art. I am proud to say I am still with her too this day. Well done Andy, "The Cooper" has been a huge part of my life like it has been for many others. Big fan.

CrewC

In addition to his wonderful mixers, Andy Cooper's external resolver for the Nagra IV-STC made that machine actually work as a sync playback deck with a single module that was far more reliable and simple than the way Kudelski originally wanted us to do it (two flaky boxes).  I did MANY music videos etc w/ that resolver--never any trouble at all ever. 

Philip Perkins

when buying some gear from a company that shuts down business shortly after I normally would blame myself for a wrong decision. But with my CS 208D V1 (bought used but like in brand new condition) I feel soooo happy and lucky that I have managed to get in this `family`of mixers using a Cooper.

I just started my career 3-4 years ago and have used different Audio mixers and the LM1. There was always something I was missing in terms of flexibility but also in terms of audio quality.

After a TV-mini series I started getting my own sound gear. But I left out the mixer as I found the only mixer I like to spend money into was a 208. But this was out of my range. Shortly after I came in contact with a Switzerland sound mixer who wanted to sell his 208. Well that was my lucky day and so I am a very proud and happy user of a Cooper mixer.

I thank the Cooper family and Andrew in special for their outstanding support! I always tell my German fellow mixers these stories when I wanted to adapt my already great mixer a bit more to my needs and Andrew wouldn`t be offended by the request but show up with technical advices how to do it! Thats what makes all the sound mixers (from ol`Hollywood to young German) so sad but happy too.

All the best to the Cooper family,

Matthias

Doh! ... At least I am comforted by the fact that their mixers are well built and that someone out there will be able to service my new(used) one if needed. Probably no add-ons, however, but I'm still trying to get through to find out if any spares are already built. West Coast shipping will be pricey though. Perhaps Trew, Inc. is capable of servicing?

Michael,

you still see 106's on consignment for between $5500-$6000

they are built ford tough, and will last for a very long time.

west coast shipping would not be that pricey, if you ship ups ground. also, don't know yet for sure but I heard DHL is trying to get in the shipping ground more and might be very competitive $$.

Wow,

I felt privileged to finally be among the Sound Mixers who owned a 208.  I knew I was making the right decision when I bought it.  To learn that it was one of the last units Andy will have ever built makes it that much more special to me.  Congratulations to Andy and Janet for realizing their dreams, and thank you Andy for providing the best mixers money can buy.  I'd say I'm concerned about future service and support, but frankly, I'm not worried at all.  Like JW says... " -- and I couldn't be happier. I will probably be able to use my present 208 right into my own retirement."  The Cooper legacy speaks for itself.  Thanks Andy!

Steve J.

Location Sound Corp.<<<<<<<<<

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to learn that Sound Devices is seriously considering incorporating the Cooper product line into their own. An SD/Cooper panel mixer would seem to fit SD's mixer line quite well.

Eric

I never dealt with Andy and or Janet as an end user, I had many dealings with them from the service and repair end. They were always helpful and took the time to help me get through several trying repairs. I want to thank them for the help and time, and wish them the best. You both will be missed.

David W White

D.W. Sound Service