FCC Public Notice for 600mhz Band Plan

hobbiesodd

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, ryanpeds said:

So basically, who wants to buy all of my wireless...

LOL-     This is what happens to little fish when the big fish get hungry.  Big Fish being the telecom giants.  Somebody here in this topic had the idea that the telecom buyers should have a use it or lose it date imposed on their license. I think that's a pretty fair idea.

The FCC's recent announcements are two stage.  The first was the Public Notice announcing they are going to use the 566MHz up scenario as their target for the auction results.  Now, this is an announcement of the GOAL of the auction - not the actual result.  The actual result will not be known until after the auction has been held and completed.  At that time, they will issue another Public Notice announcing the results.  THAT is when we will know the reality we will face in a few years.  The publication of that Public Notice (hereafter called the NOTICE) will start a clock ticking that affects all of us.

9 months after the NOTICE - Manufacturers will no longer be allowed to submit and test equipment under the old regulations.. New equipment must then meet the new ETSI mask regulations (part of which is still being reconsidered - Sennheiser, Shure, Lectrosonics and Audio Technica have petitioned for reconsideration a particularly odious spec - we should hear about that in about a month) -

Currently, no manufacturer is building products that meet the new regulations.  The certification labs are not even testing under the new regs yet, so any claims as such cannot be made until proven with a test certification under those new regulations. 

18 months after the Notice - (or June, 2018) - whichever comes first - Manufacturers can no longer sell equipment certified under the old regulations.   And no, this cannot be done with just a firmware update - the FCC will be demanding new certifications PROVING we meet the new regs.  ( I should open a test lab - they are gonna rake it in over the next few years) 

39 months after the Notice - equipment occupying the spectrum defined in the Notice must cease operations and vacate the spectrum.  The new owners, however, can fire up their transmitters earlier if they are ready - which will blow you off the air anyway.

So, we have until 2018 or later before it gets gnarly.   No need yet to panic.   We DON'T have all the final spectrum allocation information in front of us yet but we should before too long.

Keep in mind there is a very limited number of licensed tower crews available to get all those cell towers and TV broadcast towers up and running on the new channels.  Several independent studies have shown that with currently available resources, it could take as long as five additional years to implement the changes.

The Second announcement by the FCC was more of a PR thing - announcing they had already convinced the TV stations to get involved enough in the auction to allow the FCC to reach their goal of the 566 up sell off.  How true that is will be borne out by the auction results.

We have been tightly involved with this process for quite a length of time along with Sennheiser, Shure and Audio Technica.  (Sending delegates to Washington, filing with the FCC, involving our legislators).  If you would like to search the filings database at the FCC, go to the link below and enter the manufacturers names to see the efforts of those committed to this fight.  As such, we have a strong handle on the regulations both current and future. Our engineering department has been on top of what will be required to survive in the "brave new world" in a few years.  This is not happening overnight.  Many of you remember the slow inexorable change over to digital back in 2004-2009. Recent introductions and all future new products/programs will be aimed at letting you operate as always now while being covered in the future (we have always been spectrum efficient) .  To quote the over used cliché - Keep Calm and Make Sound.    Stay tuned!  Oh, and I'm keeping my stock in Lectrosonics...........

http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/comment_search_solr/search

Remember, it wasn't that long ago that you all were outlaws......  :mellow: 

In a few weeks Zaxcom will begin delivering Zaxcom ZHD wireless. The wireless microphones are FCC, Industry Canada and CE approved utilizing Zaxcoms modular design that is utilized in all Zaxcom UHF transmitters. These transmitters are based on a software defined radio architecture. We have been working on ZHD modulation for quite some time in the anticipation of the changes that are now starting to come forward.

ZHD modulation has been designed to exceed any new FCC regulations that may be imposed.

The transmitter is modified with only a software update to meet any new regulation limiting transmission bandwidth or output power.

We feel that offering a solution now that exceeds any new requirements by the FCC based on reduced available spectrum is good for our customer base and maintains the value of products purchased today well past the point of spectrum and rule changes adapted by the FCC.

Zaxcom has been and remains totally committed to real world solutions for our customers wireless needs through the use of technology. Anyone who needs to invest in new wireless now can be comforted by the fact that Zaxcom ZHD wireless will not be in jeopardy of becoming illegal to operate in the future due to rule changes by the FCC.

Glenn Sanders

President Zaxcom Inc.

7 hours ago, glenn said:

In a few weeks Zaxcom will begin delivering Zaxcom ZHD wireless. The wireless microphones are FCC, Industry Canada and CE approved utilizing Zaxcoms modular design that is utilized in all Zaxcom UHF transmitters. These transmitters are based on a software defined radio architecture. We have been working on ZHD modulation for quite some time in the anticipation of the changes that are now starting to come forward.

ZHD modulation has been designed to exceed any new FCC regulations that may be imposed.

The transmitter is modified with only a software update to meet any new regulation limiting transmission bandwidth or output power.

We feel that offering a solution now that exceeds any new requirements by the FCC based on reduced available spectrum is good for our customer base and maintains the value of products purchased today well past the point of spectrum and rule changes adapted by the FCC.

Zaxcom has been and remains totally committed to real world solutions for our customers wireless needs through the use of technology. Anyone who needs to invest in new wireless now can be comforted by the fact that Zaxcom ZHD wireless will not be in jeopardy of becoming illegal to operate in the future due to rule changes by the FCC.

Glenn Sanders

President Zaxcom Inc.

So, by this do you mean you can through a software update, reduce the power to any new standard.... ( I doubt there will be an increase in power) or reduce the available channels to the ones leftover after sales events...  (I doubt there will be MORE channels)  all to be legal...  I guess thats good... 

10 hours ago, afewmoreyears said:

So, by this do you mean you can through a software update, reduce the power to any new standard.... ( I doubt there will be an increase in power) or reduce the available channels to the ones leftover after sales events...  (I doubt there will be MORE channels)  all to be legal...  I guess thats good... 

Yes ZHD is as future proof as can be.

ZHD, with its 50kHz spectral footprint and it's ability to stack frequiencies as close as100kHz apart, was designed to exceed any projected regulations that the FCC potentially throws at us. But since no one has a crystal ball to predict exactaly what will be required - ZHD with just a software update can be conformed to meet any regulations that may come.

On May 7, 2016 at 8:27 AM, Jack Norflus said:

But since no one has a crystal ball to predict exactaly what will be required - ZHD with just a software update can be conformed to meet any regulations that may come.

That's a bold statement.....Jack that description of ZHD is coming from you or Zaxcom?

2 hours ago, Mosdeaf said:

That's a bold statement.....Jack that description of ZHD is coming from you or Zaxcom?

Just reiterating what Glenn had posted. Basically the modulation parameters of the transmitter is software based so if changes to the modulation needs to be made it can be done via software.

1 hour ago, BAB414 said:

Will these firmware updates be a legal requirement?

The zhd signal is only 50kHz wide - this is way under the predicted spectral footprint that the FCC will potentially mandate, and it is quite unlikely that the FCC will ask for anything smaller especially since companies like sennheiser are lobbying for a 200kHz footprint. So chances are the mandate may be somewhere between 50 and 200. At this point ZHD will fall well within the FCC new mandate so there is no need to change the firmware to conform. if transmission power needs to be limited it can be altered via software as well and shutting off blocks if necessary down the road.

Edited by Jack Norflus
Clarification

From what we know now our ZHD as it is today far exceeds any new requirements so updates should not be required.  I just wanted to make it crystal clear that our product will be out very soon and has the ability to be changed via software and only software if it is ever needed.

Glenn

5 hours ago, Constantin said:

If I understood this right, the user could switch to another modulation. Would the other modulations also be compliant with new regulations?

Currently no one knows what will be compliant or not - with the possible exception of the FCC.

But going by what is predicted ZHD will be more than adequate. Any other modulations that would need to be implemented would be done so to comply. At this point the only thing that I am aware of that the FCC could possibly change is the allowable output power level or the allowable frequency range - both of which can be controlled via software. 

1 hour ago, Constantin said:

I guess what I was really curious about is whether the other modulations will have to be disabled if they become illegal? Or will the new ZHD transmitters only offer ZHD anyway?

I *think* what Jack is saying is that the parameters and variables for the other modulations can also be enabled, disabled and/or modified via software, so as soon as the FCC announces what the compliancy specs are for UHF wireless mic, Zaxcom can easily respond with a software update to make current transmitters compliant, if required at all to begin with.

We're currently at the mercy of the FCC, hinging on their response, unfortunately.

4 hours ago, Constantin said:

I guess what I was really curious about is whether the other modulations will have to be disabled if they become illegal?

If they become illegal then obviously they would not be able to be used and zaxcom would remove them from the software. But there is still alot of unanswered questions regarding what will be legal and what won't be.

4 hours ago, Constantin said:

Or will the new ZHD transmitters only offer ZHD anyway?

As it stands now, untill the FCC specifications says something different, ZHD transmitters will offer all other modulations - but my guess is once you go ZHD you won't want to go back to any of the other modulations. 

• 3 months later...

Looks like the forward auction didn't come anywhere near raising enough money to cover the 126mhz goal, so they will go another round with a new goal of 114mhz.  Considering they reach about 25% of the the money needed on the first round, hopefully it will take a few more rounds and the spectrum they look to reallocate will keep shrinking.

http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/0002/fcc-to-restart-auction-at-lower-clearing-target/279327

2 hours ago, Wandering Ear said:

hopefully it will take a few more rounds and the spectrum they look to reallocate will keep shrinking.

AT LEAST keep the 500mhz range intact, that would be nice.  Bonus if they keep it up to 608mhz/astronomy band so that Lectros A1/B1 are still good.