comtek cable question

Chris R

On a project I have coming up I plan on feeding a reference audio mix to camera via comtek 216.

1/8 to xlr. (transmitter is 216 w/ Lectro Dip pole and remote audio mod)

Because the comtek receiver traditionally uses the headphone cable as the antenna

are there any guidelines I should follow in making this cable to get "decent" reception distance?

Length? Type of cable? etc?

I use a Mogami mini quad mic cable a lot when I make cables, but im guessing this might not be ideal?

Thanks guys

-Chris

On a project I have coming up I plan on feeding a reference audio mix to camera via comtek 216.

Because the comtek receiver traditionally uses the headphone cable as the antenna

are there any guidelines I should follow in making this cable to get "decent" reception distance?

I use a Mogami mini quad mic cable a lot when I make cables, but im guessing this might not be ideal?

Thanks guys

-Chris

I don't see any specific problem using the same 22/24 ga cable thats used for the headphones. Since the Comtek is mono you won't need to use a shielded pair but mini star quad might be a bit much to get into the comtek connector.

Eric

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but here it is again.

The 216 receiver output 1/8 stereo jack can and should be treated like a balanced output. I have had success with wiring the tip to pin

2 of the XLR3, ring to pin 3, and sleeve to pin 1 - nothing is jumped, and I should look, i may have not even connected pin 1. (Out of town, and can't check the gear) so maybe someone else will chime in on this. I often do not connect the ground to pin 1XLR when going to balanced  I/P.

BTW, the reference mix to camera should not be stressed over. Post never even looks at it.

I must add that I do use the reference mix when working with HD, just to placate producer types, I think.

Maybe I shouldn't be so brash, but there it is. My 2 cents

Regards,

Jim Rillie

From Comtek...

Please be advised that you need to use a 3.5 mm mono connector to XLR with tip to pin 2 and shield to pin 1 and 3.  Please note that an 1/8" connector will ruin the headphone jack.  Also, if you are not using the PR-216 receiver with the Option 7 BNC short whip antenna, the cable needs to be 18" long to act as the receivers antenna.

Larry,

AFAIK, a 3.5 mm connector is also referred to as a 1/8" connector here in North America.

Also, I have generally had a lot of noise in the feed if connecting Pin 1 and 3 on the XLR.

I am speaking of the PR216 headphone receiver without the Option7 BNC antenna, and yes, 18" or so of cable helps.

Jim Rillie

Larry,

AFAIK, a 3.5 mm connector is also referred to as a 1/8" connector here in North America.

Also, I have generally had a lot of noise in the feed if connecting Pin 1 and 3 on the XLR.

I am speaking of the PR216 headphone receiver without the Option7 BNC antenna, and yes, 18" or so of cable helps.

Jim Rillie

It might be called the same but it's not. A true 1/8" plug is to big for a 3.5mm jack. 8x3.5mm =28mm, 1 inch is 25.4mm.

Eric

It might be called the same but it's not. A true 1/8" plug is to big for a 3.5mm jack. 8x3.5mm =28mm, 1 inch is 25.4mm.

Eric

It would actually be a little smaller. 1/8" = 3.175mm.  Those sizes do seem to frequently be used interchangeably, I've noticed.  So, Comtek says to use mono jack and connect XLR pins 1 and 3 to ground and Jim Rillie says this produces noise.  Jim's balanced way of wiring makes more sense to me since the PR216 clearly accommodates the ring since it can be used with stereo headphones and sends audio to L and R.

PG

It would actually be a little smaller. 1/8" = 3.175mm.  Those sizes do seem to frequently be used interchangeably, I've noticed.  So, Comtek says to use mono jack and connect XLR pins 1 and 3 to ground and Jim Rillie says this produces noise.  Jim's balanced way of wiring makes more sense to me since the PR216 clearly accommodates the ring since it can be used with stereo headphones and sends audio to L and R.

PG

I do know that the "stereo" 3.5mm jack on the receiver while putting out sound on put the tip and ring..they are

out of phase with each other. I noticed it immediately when I got these awhile back and talking to the guys at comtek back then

they confirmed it.

Thanks guys

-Chris

Chris,

test the senn. g2 as a hop or use the lectro 401 (smaller rcvr) you will be "happier"

with the over all experience - not using the comtek this way.

Hi,

Chris mentioned the out of phase issue. I think that's why using pin 2 and pin 3 for the tip and ring works for me. It's sort of a "balanced" (note the quotes) arrangement. Also, the idea of using a dedicated TX/RX just adds one more powering, space, etc etc issue for a reference audio feed. The real sound to be used in audio post production is what we record on our dedicated, high quality audio recorders.

Jim Rillie

I have a dozen PR72b and bought some mono 1/8" jacks to repair some of my mono headphones (don't want to contribute them to landfills and use energy and more plastic to make more headphones).  They are too small and do not make a good connection.  Never occurred to me why.  Now I know, and feel like a bit of a moron.

Regarding receiving with a 3.5mm-XRL config to reference audio...

I have not heard of great success with this to HD cameras.  They give off a lot of RF, and the basic Comtek receiver seems to have trouble.  On a previous job the "free" bad audio was offered and accepted.  The NOT free IBF or "real" receiver option was rejected.  Nobody seemed bothered by the hiss, etc. from the Comtek, since they knew we were recording quality audio on our decks.

I have a dozen PR72b and bought some mono 1/8" jacks to repair some of my mono headphones (don't want to contribute them to landfills and use energy and more plastic to make more headphones).  They are too small and do not make a good connection.  Never occurred to me why.  Now I know, and feel like a bit of a moron.

Regarding receiving with a 3.5mm-XRL config to reference audio...

I have not heard of great success with this to HD cameras.  They give off a lot of RF, and the basic Comtek receiver seems to have trouble.  On a previous job the "free" bad audio was offered and accepted.  The NOT free IBF or "real" receiver option was rejected.  Nobody seemed bothered by the hiss, etc. from the Comtek, since they knew we were recording quality audio on our decks.

great real world advice. I appreciate it. (and to everyone whos responded)

I'm starting to think this might not be the greatest of options.

I am however looking a little into the PR-216 option 7 receiver.

Basicly looks like a 216 transmitter with the bnc whip and line level out.

Any chance someone has some experience with this? any better luck?

One nice thing is it appears it can be powered off of phantom.

I was swaying back and forth on getting an inexpensive senn g2 system

but as Jim R mentioned it opens a few other cans of worms. The biggest to me is its once again back to

transmitter mounted whip ant, instead of getting it up in the air with the dipoles an sharkfin, but im not

totally ruling it out yet.

btw, in regards to a few PM's ive gotten saying "call comtek" or "you're having others do you homework for you"

Yes I contacted comtek. I was looking for some real world opinions and I thought this was a forum

to discuss these kind of things.

We have dealt with the RF from cameras for many years. Most wireless systems are shielded well enough that it is not a problem. Comtek receivers don't have adequate shielding and are susceptible to interference troubles. If you are going to use a PR216, make sure that is is one of the Option 7 models with the BNC antenna. You will eliminate a lot of potential problems.

David W White

D.W. Sound Service

Chris,

In a round about way alot of us are saying, use lectros or sennG2's for your camera hops. the comteks are great for your director or scripty to monitor the recording. and yes, the M 216-option 7 (bnc) always. comteks are great for about 25-50' line of sight. it really is not reliable to send a audio track to camera.

use comteks for what "we-the film industry" have designed them for,(IFB's)

on a side note, just sent out some lectro-R1a's, damn they are rock solid, got great audio range, passed  thru concrete buildings and never had a hit or drop out. easily 100' +.

gd lk