TRX 742

Matthias Richter

first 2 days out of 21 with my new TRX 742 are done. Works great, adjusting gain from my Fusion - that was much missed with my TRX700.

It needs quite some batteries. We´ve got around 0 deg at the moment (still no spring) and with Eneloop Nimh 1900mAh I needed 3-4 sets (3 each) for a 12h shooting day.

here is an article on S&P:

http://soundandpicture.com/2013/04/a-look-at-the-zaxcom-trx742-plug-on-transmitter/

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do wonder what other 742 users gain structure is.

To benefit from the Neverclip feature I would need to set the gain on the TRX742 pretty low (lots of headroom). To keep that headroom throughout the recording chain it would result the normal dialog level being around -30dBfs instead -10dBfs.

Do you go this route and explain post to add gain or do you record hot (add gain on the mixer / recorder) and use the safetynet of the internal recording of the 742 in case of a sudden outburst?

Matthias, i always add gain as the mixer. even with zaxnet, i can change the gain faster at the mixer and more reliably than i can remotely (with how i am working at the moment. using a mix 8 or 12 would change that)

which also gives me a bit of headroom at the transmitter before i hit the limiter.

ive only just got my 742 so not really had a chance to play with it properly. but i am currently thinking to set the gain as i would normally and know that if i get an unexpected peak, it wont distort.

but i am currently thinking to set the gain as i would normally and know that if i get an unexpected peak, it wont distort.

I´m not sure if that´s how it works. The manual got no answer but I would think that if your signal hits the -20dBfs mark on the 742 you have 20dB headroom - not more. To have Neverclip play it´s benefits I believe one needs to set the gain lower BUT the signal could be raised without adding noise since it would be recorded with the full resolution of the first AD converter. Just guessing ...

Is there a no clip setup in the menu?

Not anymore.  They got rid of the menu item, and forced Neverclip to always be on.  It eliminates input clipping, but the TRX cannot transmit above 0dbfs, so it doesn't do that much for you.  A compressor is still needed to bring the signal back down to below 0dbfs.

matthias. i am working on the neverclip giving me headroom above 0dB, and as Wandering Ear says, you use the compressor to keep you below the maximum the TX stage can handle. so you are still transmitting a clean signal, even though your input has gone past 0.

there isnt an offset for the built in recorder (yet - could be a nice option if it were to be added later)

The way I run all my digital radios is to leave a little extra headroom at the transmitter side, and add a little gain at my aes inputs.  This allows me to avoid the tx compressor, and only use the Nomad compressor, if at all.  I might rethink that strategy if the 742 had iso attenuation settings like the Nomad, and whether or not that would affect only the 742 internal recording, or if that would attenuate before transmitting.

TRX742 may be one of the most favorite pieces of gear in my kit.  I generally set gain a bit below the -20dBfs mark on the transmitter and makeup extra gain on my mixer for run and gun.  For sit down interviews, I'll run the transmitter much hotter.  I was working the Merrie Monarch Hula event this past week and the 742 also worked excellent as an impromptu line level PA feed transmitter.  I could swap back and forth between setups switching between 742 and 900 transmitters without having to bulk up and bring extra QRX receivers.  I haven't done a full test of the built in never-clip, but I do have to say that it sounded excellent on high transient / peak bursts and never detected any bit of distortion.

Hi Matthias!

About the batteries...

It's not just about the mAh spec of the rechargeable battery (note Ansmann recommendation) but rather the "Internal Resistance" which is rarely referenced,

I find Eneloop brand to be more consistently reliable (consistent being the key word) even despite a lower mAh rating compared to some other brands,

In Europe, especially Germany, Varta offer a similar solution but I've tried them all and only the "Gold Top" option for me seem to offer similar performance consistency-wise for high-drain applications such as your application, that being said I'm using a similar device not from the same manufacturer as you mention,

Hope to meet up when I come again to shoot there May 8,9...

Mac

(null)

I generally set gain a bit below the -20dBfs mark on the transmitter and makeup extra gain on my mixer for run and gun. 

still wonder if the 0dB mark on the 742 is 0dBfs / full scale or if there is that additional secret headroom on top.

Quite amazing no one suggested to contact the manufacture yet ;)

i am considering the 0 mark on the tx 0dBfs. but you have the extra headroom that neverclip gives you that allows the compressor something useful to work with, rather than compressing an overloaded signal.

would be good if zaxcom, could chime in. because there is a quite incredible amount of confusion and mis-information about zaxcom features. especially neverclip. (though i do hope i have some of my facts correct here)