Demo Reels...

curleysound

I've often heard that "Sound guys don't have reels" and thusly have never bothered to make one. Has anyone here made/used one, and if so, has it made a difference? I realize that in theory, what goes on the reel would be the post release version, unless you somehow use all production tracks, but either way, this is the general discussion area, so I'm speaking in general terms...

Tom

Hey Tom, interesting question. I'm not sure that anyone has tried to format or structure what a reel would even be. CD? Dvd? Sound only, or with picture. Does it incorporate b roll shots of you and your team and equipment at work on major motion pictures? There are so many things a reel could be, but would anyone even know what it meant when they viewed or listen to it. If you made one and it got you work, then it would be cool. Can't wait to see what others post. Self promotion is legit, but work and rep seem more important IMO.

CrewC

There was a bit of a debate amongst post people recently over the same issue of demo reels.  I think the short answer is that they are necessary based on who is hiring you.  If you are asked by a director or producer you've never worked for, then why not have one available if it does indeed get you the gig?

I would guess that it would be very beneficial if you can get a clip of picture and sync the production track to it.  It might also be good to put that same clip with the post version too.  Just think of what a director would want to see/hear - definitely include audio and picture, either on a dvd or a quicktime on the web.  Directors would probably also be interested in seeing the kinds of productions you've worked on, in addition to hearing something fantastic.

If you have the time to make one, then go for it.  That said, I wouldn't personally hand one out unless it was specifically asked for.  Sometimes people are turned off by what would appear to be "over-eagerness."

I agree with CrewC that reputation is probably one foremost factor.  It's very rare that I've gotten a gig based on a reel or that I've even been asked for one.  But I did just have to make one recently and it took me forever to figure out what to put on it.

just my 2 cents

-greg-

With location sound aren't demo reels tough? I mean, almost everything gets to post, where they will sweeten/screw around with/sometimes screw up the location sound, so what the final product is isn't necessarily 100% your work.

Then there are the downsides... I recently did an industrial shoot where when I heard one of the "final" mixes, I cringed and went back to listen to what I gave them. They really screwed around with it to the point where it really sounded bad. I ended up working with the individual working on post production and found he was making some very bad choices in Final Cut/soundtrack (he really was a video guy, who now had the opportunity to twiddle with sound, so he did... sometimes I'm not sure the masses are ready for the power they have been handed by Apple).

I wonder if maybe raw tracks shouldn't be used... but again, usually what tends to happen is I get calls because I've worked with X, and they recommended me to Y.

Wayne

Guest afewmoreyears

I think,..... at least for me, the hiring is from word of mouth referrals  from other mixers, or producers or PM or PCs...or from long time relationships....  If they havn't heard of your work, or been referred by a person whom they can trust.....  a reel won't help...  It could be made up by anyone.....  It's never been a part of the sound thing.....  Could it help?  I really doubt it....

We are all only as good as the last gig......    It's our reputation, or lack of one,  that puts you in, or pulls you out of this particular game.....  Do good work, and a lot of it.....  Thats your "reel":)

I agree about not having or needing a reel.

That being said, I have been asked for a reel (usually by a newbie producer or from someone who doesn't know me or my circle)  and I have been able to hand them a copy of a doc or other program that I have recently completed.  Sure 'post' had a lot to do with the final outcome (good or bad) but it can be reassuring to the newbie!

-Jason