New problems in Europe to the frequency limitation.

sergiofucchi

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Senator, why are you getting so worked up about this?

Or zaxcom... They can be more narrowly spaced. And the 2.4 ghz QC control makes for a workflow with Tx record only, eliminating the need for radio transmission on those bands... It's more cumbersome but it's a solution...

And cheaper than wisycom

The recording bit certainly helps, but the ability to squeeze more frequencies into a block doesn't, if that block becomes illegal. That was my point about the Wisycoms: they cover such a wide band that you could use them around 710MHz today, and when that becomes illegal in a few years, just get a new licence for around 640 or whatever. At least you can keep your system.

Actually, I saw the Wisycoms in real life for the first time at the Musikmesse, today. They have a receiver there which covers 330MHz, but all the TXs I could see "only" cover 270. I have never tried them out, but there are a few threads about them here, in addition to Vin's comments above

" so it is easy to find over 300 free frequencies without problems of intermodulation. "

intermodulation, and other interference...

and not so easy...

(though probably easier than outdoors!)

" they cover such a wide band "

of course, if you (now) have the money... but in a few years, we will all be looking at newer models, and likely newer technologies. and wishing to upgrade to them...

I keep suggesting:  Lectrosonics Wireless guide, and other manufacturers guides.

" Why, do they know which frequencies will be legal in ten years? "

of course not... and that problem will continue,  but you really ought to study the Lectro wireless guide, or the other manufacturers' guides, that explain pretty clearly how wireless radio transmissions work, to reduce your misunderstandings, and/or miscommunication of this material. Yes, it is physics, but the guides are quite well written and explain range, dropouts, hits, and diversity reception pretty clearly, and accurately,.

As I said, in 10 years, you, and the rest of us, will be looking at different gear!  you will have to deal with that, just like the rest of us.

BTW, Sergio, your camera will also be obsolete.

OK, how often do you upgrade your computer ??  your OS ??  your programs ??

it is how things are.

" Why, do they know which frequencies will be legal in ten years? "

of course not... and that problem will continue, but you really ought to study the Lectro wireless guide, or the other manufacturers' guides, that explain pretty clearly how wireless radio transmissions work, to reduce your misunderstandings, and/or miscommunication of this material. Yes, it is physics, but the guides are quite well written and explain range, dropouts, hits, and diversity reception pretty clearly, and accurately,.

As I said, in 10 years, you, and the rest of us, will be looking at different gear! you will have to deal with that, just like the rest of us.

BTW, Sergio, your camera will also be obsolete.

OK, how often do you upgrade your computer ?? your OS ?? your programs ??

it is how things are.

Senator, you are confusing two threads. In this one we are talking about legal frequencies. Tell me how the wireless guides are helping? I know you enjoy being condescending, but please, keep it in the relevant thread

"  EU rules provide for years to a maximum of 50mW, but sometimes it was very useful to temporarily exceed this limit in conditions of particular crowd. "

first  of all,  raising power (for example above the limit) only adds to the interference situation... with the illegal power being a cause,  not an effect.
the rules for manufacturers being able to sell products in various territories are set bythe governing agencies of those territories, and if manufactures do not meet the regulatory requirements, they may not legally sell, or offer to sell or rent, their products in that territory; they must only offer type accepted products.

If you have issues with the regulations, you need to take them up with your government, not the manufacturers...

What you say is only partly true: many people in Italy, for example, has purchased Lectrosonics transmitters in the U.S. version and, therefore, without the limitation to 50 mW in output power. In addition to these and until the end of last year the European models (SM and SMDB) allowed the retailer to raise, at the risk of the purchaser, the output power up to 250 mW. From the current version of the firmware ver 4.92 this is no longer possible. Sennheiser manufactures and sells in Europe a version of its plug SKP 2000 that has three levels of power output: 30 mW, 50 mW and 100 mW. I bought it in Italy and it is marked with the CE logo with its part number.

Some colleagues sometimes have failed to find a clear frequency during the sets in commercial buildings located in large urban areas such as Milan or Rome and they were able to work only up to 250 mW by increasing the power of their transmitters Lectrosonics, of course only for the time strictly necessary for the shoot.

Sergio.

Well, Sergio, there is a difference between "being able to do something" and "being allowed to do something".

The CE symbol means nothing in this context. Sennheiser clearly states that you have to inform yourself about the legal situation in your country. And here in Germany at least, their gear is limited to 50mW, and that includes the SK2000. Raising the TX power in difficult locations us the exact opposite of what we are supposed to do in Europe. It's illegal

" From the current version of the firmware ver 4.92 this is no longer possible. "while I am only guessing, that modification may have been required to obtain or retain certification, and BTW, CE certification is not the same!

just as Constantin has said, what Sergio is doing is illegal, and folks doing that may be the exact reason that the manufacturers have to make these changes to prevent it.

" Senator, you are confusing two threads "

As for studying the user guides: they do not directly address spectrum allocations by government, but they do cover numerous misconceptions.

Some colleagues sometimes have failed to find a clear frequency during the sets in commercial buildings located in large urban areas such as Milan or Rome and they were able to work only up to 250 mW by increasing the power of their transmitters Lectrosonics, of course only for the time strictly necessary for the shoot.

Increasing power may cause more intermodulation, that means less clear frequencies if you have many transmitters.

in 10 years, you, and the rest of us, will be looking at different gear!  you will have to deal with that, just like the rest of us.

Yes, we need now better gear and they are coming to us : all the manufacturers are working on that. Wisy is excellent with the frequency band, Zaxcom with their card,( Lectro is  probably working in something great), Sennheiser with their digital series, and Shure with their impressive Axient system...We are already in a new era of radio transmission, with less space, and all the manufacturers know that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Christian Hermans and Christian Spaeth,

when licensing at Bnetza, did you apply for the entire range of block 24, the range of 470-710Mhz or a number of specific frequencies? If the latter, as guided by BVFT, how many frequencies per unit did you get?

Regards

I am neither of the two Christians, but I've got three licences, each comprising several frequencies. You can apply for as many freqs as you like, but you must be specific. I have 32 freqs in one licence, maybe more in the other, don't remember. You can also add freqs later to an existing licence. Also, call them, they are very helpful. At least the guy for the Cologne branch was (even though, ironically, his office us not in Cologne at all). In all three cases, I got all the frequencies I requested

I moved from block 31 to 24 a few years ago. I use block 31 only for IFB nowadays. Also block 20 is getting quite popular here in Finland.

Blocks 31-33 are already getting quite crowded with other RF here.

And yes, 50mW is maximum here as well. The dealer / importer doesn't want to enable the 100/250 mW option on my SMDB's.. :)

" The dealer / importer doesn't want to enable "

even if they could, they would be putting their entire business at risk

Not really, because the way they were doing it, you had to sign something declaring that you would only ever use the higher power in countries where it is legal, like when you're travelling. You could turn it on/off with the app

Christian Hermans and Christian Spaeth,

when licensing at Bnetza, did you apply for the entire range of block 24, the range of 470-710Mhz or a number of specific frequencies? If the latter, as guided by BVFT, how many frequencies per unit did you get?

Regards

Hi Daniel,

just for the range of the Block and units. 

I think the guys at the Bnetza in Cologne were much nicer then in my area and thats not far away - so stressful ;)).

Constantin has all written how to do it. 

Liebe Grüße

I moved from block 31 to 24 a few years ago. I use block 31 only for IFB nowadays. Also block 20 is getting quite popular here in Finland.

Blocks 31-33 are already getting quite crowded with other RF here.

And yes, 50mW is maximum here as well. The dealer / importer doesn't want to enable the 100/250 mW option on my SMDB's.. :)

This is for products imported in Europe after 1/2013. But I have found this PSC product: http://www.professionalsound.com/products/../specs/linear.htm

It may solve the problem .....

Sergio.

Thnx, Constantin and Christian,

just for the range of the Block and units.

So you have a range license opposed to Constantin's frequency list license? (I guess not, but this was my question.)

I applied for a set of Motorola 2ways (Betriebsfunk) a year or 2 ago, talking to a friendly and helpful guy at BnetzA in Bremen. I just called there again, and talked to a friendly and patient guy. Bottom line:

They highly prefer to license the 710-790Mhz range as we have a mobile application (like theater or music tours). If we still want something in the 470-710Mhz spectrum, we'd need to apply with a list of frequencies, depending on the devices factory presets. 20 to 30 would be acceptable and some proof of contracts to TV-stations. An exception might be, public stations (Öffentlich Rechtliche), who might get a "free to tune" license.

I told him about Wisycoms switching bandwidth and that Wisycom (so far) does not publish factory presets, as they are "specified at purchase" (is that fact?) and he replied with a chuckle, that they won't license anything in this wide spectrum but rather sets in classical 50 or 25Mhz blocks.

My story is a bit different, i just bought Lectros with Block 24/25 and told this bloke at BnetzA, that these have the range 614-664Mhz. I ask him, that i need a new license, cause i already had one from 710-790Mhz. Now they gave me the hole spectrum from 610-790Mhz perfect for me, but i think i´m just an lucky guy and it was a fault by them.