Comtek 216 series

bigbenboom

I have been using Comtek IFB with the M-216P7 bag transmitter for a while now, and really enjoy the system. However, the 10 mw output can sometimes be a problem on certain shoots. I work mainly out of the bag, so a base station is not really an option. Also, if possible, I would love to keep using the 216 recievers since I already have a few.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any stronger transmitters that could work with the 216 recievers, or a feesible way to up my output mw of my M-216P7 while keeping it all bag friendly. I would like to avoid buying a completely new IFB system of possible, so I was hoping some of you would have some suggestions. Thanks!

When you guys run a BST-75 in the bag, do you use the short stock antenna and just put it upside down, or do you hook up an alternative antenna? I have one on my cart connected to the mighty mite antenna, but never used it in the bag. There are times I wonder if the extra range would be really useful, and maybe I should make up the appropriate cables. Right now when I need more range, I usually switch to a G2, but this might work even better. For example, when I drop the bag in a car and am riding in a follow car, the Comtek M-216 doesn't work well for that. 

Ben, I also saw someone on here who uses the bst-75 in the bag and sticks it connector side up so that a normal whip antenna can be connected directly. You lose the VU meter that way but not a big deal.

Feasible with the 216 version but I'd poke my eye out with the 72 meg whip,, I'll stick with the floppy cable antenna they made for me.

I usually switch to a G2, but this might work even better. For example, when I drop the bag in a car and am riding in a follow car, the Comtek M-216 doesn't work well for that.

I did a trucker show last year, and my M-216 just wasn't cutting the car to car stuff. My hops, however, where still getting to camera at 100mw, so I set up a spare SRa and ran it through the van stereo system. The BST-75-216 runs at 100 mw, and should be good for most follow car situations. If you need anymore than that you might want to consider going with Lectrsonics at 250 mw.

When you guys run a BST-75 in the bag, do you use the short stock antenna and just put it upside down, or do you hook up an alternative antenna? I have one on my cart connected to the mighty mite antenna, but never used it in the bag. There are times I wonder if the extra range would be really useful, and maybe I should make up the appropriate cables. Right now when I need more range, I usually switch to a G2, but this might work even better. For example, when I drop the bag in a car and am riding in a follow car, the Comtek M-216 doesn't work well for that. 

upside down w. short stock antenna in a bag works fine (for me anyway) on bag jobs - noticeably better than m-216 tx. have a BST-25 and a BST-75 on a cart, use a mini mite on the former and the remote audio miracle whip on a lectro dipole (just because i had a dipole i wasn't using) on the later and haven't been able to discern a difference in a casual test. on shotmaker w. bag in the cab used the BST-75 w. a mini might antenna mounted on the speedrail as high as i could and it worked fine when accompanied by a please-follow-as-close-as-you-can-safely request to follow van driver.