AA battery NP-1 sled

RPSharman

So I find my over the shoulder rig growing, unfortunately.  The jobs have been good, and I still don't have a "real" ENG rig with wireless hops and such, but I find I might want to have some powering options for my 302/744T combo.  I do not want to invest in an NP-1 system.

There's a PSC mixer that claims it takes an NP-1 or 10xAA batteries.  Does something exist where I can load 8 or 10 rechargeable AA batteries into a sled with 1 or 2 4-pin Hirose pigtails for power?  A hollow NP-1 which takes AA's and a NP-1 cap with Hirose?

Robert

The PSC M4 MKII came with that sled/tray. I believe it holds 8 AA (it's in my storage space - so I can't check it). It's not listed on PSCs website, so I guess it's been discontinued. Maybe their newer mixers have the same NP-1/AA tray and slot?

Maybe you can build your own with a hammond project box and some terminal connectors from radio shack?

Josh

http://www.filmtontechnik.de/

Service -> Stromversorgung ->

You will see a small Pelican with Hirose connectors - maybe this is what you need.

<<<

PELI - Case

zur Stromversorgung von 12V Geräten (Radiomikes)

Batterie - Insert für 8 Mignon Batterien

2 / 3 / oder 4 Hirose - Buchsen

>>>>

best

-vin

Sharman,

you just said it yourself,your "OTS rig is growing and the jobs have been good"

You will not go wrong in purchasing a REMOTE AUDIO BDS system- with lectro  Y's and sd's (302,& 744t) cables, and IDX'S startup kit (2- blue batts,charger) reward yourself with the setup. you will be extremely happy in the long run. there is no need to invest in a PSC mixer (sorry Ron) although the MKII is or was a great concept, with a NP-1 SLOT and built in bds.  the remote audio or hawk woods BDS is a must for ALL OTS or ENG rigs.

Hi Robert.  Well, as long as we're being cheap, I'll chime in with my approach.  I decided a while ago that - for me - BDS, Hawk-Woods and Battery Bud systems were not worth the money.  I've always powered my ENG bags from custom-soldered wiring harnesses.  Oscar Cordova at Location Sound here in LA made some of these (on his own, not at work) for me and I've also adapted a couple of them for my cart.  Pretty easy to make, even if you aren't great at soldering; just get connectors and nice unshielded wire and plenty of shrink wrap to make it pretty.  In my bags one 4-pin xlr male has five wires coming out; three of them split to two Lectros each, one splits to two Hirose 4-pins for SD mixers/recorder and the fifth goes to the Zaxcom stereo Tx.  Six 411a's, two SD mixers and Zax tx from a single Li-Ion NP batt.  I use Frezzi cap to 4XLRF to connect to the wiring rig.  Three such rigs have worked thousands of hours with no problems and hundreds of dollars saved (and unnecessary space, weight and connectors).  Maybe I've just been lucky.  I don't endorse my approach; I'm just sharing what has worked for me.  Everyone else seems to use the commercially made distro systems.  I always tape over any unused connectors so they can't touch something and short out the system.  The IDX starter kit with JL-2 charger and 2 NP-L7S batts is around $680 IIRC.  I think it is a worthwhile investment that can come in handy for other things as well.

Paul

Hi Robert,

Looking back at your original post, I realize my last one was kind of off topic.  It seems vaguely relevant as possibly useful, so I'll leave it.  I guess even if you use the sled instead of a NPwhatever, you will have to address distribution.

PG