Disney Shoot in Richmond, VA 21st and 22nd hiring today

Hi,

They just called me and asked me to work as a local, but I'm in Chicago.  

If you're in the area and free check out Staffmeup.com or just email this guy Troy:

Troyrguthrie@gmail.com

Here's the original posting:

cation

Richmond, VA, US

Position

Sound Mixer

Network

DISNEY

Production Company

7ate9 Entertainment

Job Description

We are looking for an experienced Audio Mixer with their own gear, preferably a 788t, for a two day shoot Sunday April 21st & Monday April 22nd willing to work in Richmond Virginia. This is a paying job, working on a 12 hour day for a Disney Spot. We will be shooting an event docu-style, you will need to record sound for OTF interviews and some sit down interviews. Pay is tbd, please send a resume with your docu style experience, your contact phone number and availability to Troyrguthrie@gmail.com If we are considering you we will follow up your email with a short phone interview. We are looking to lock in an audio mixer TODAY! Please respond ASAP!

" This is a paying job, working on a 12 hour day for a Disney Spot. "

" seems to me a legit disney shoot would know how much things cost, and would not be using a gmail address. "

well... er maybe,  but this could well be someone doing something for someone else doing something else that might have something to do with something that might get included with something that might end up in something else on a Disney cable channel...

Sometimes some folks play fast and loose with such associations...

" seems to me a legit disney shoot would know how ...but this could well be someone doing something for someone else doing something else that might have something to do with something that might get included with something that might end up in something else on a Disney

My thoughts exactly.

Beware of companies that call folks 800 miles from the job and ask them to work as a local and do not call folks substantially closer. The Virginia production guide lists over 25 mixer/recordists, both Proctor and myself among them. I'm betting Proctor is the only one of us to have heard from these folks.

Best regards,

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

" seems to me a legit disney shoot would know how much things cost, and would not be using a gmail address. "

well... er maybe,  but this could well be someone doing something for someone else doing something else that might have something to do with something that might get included with something that might end up in something else on a Disney cable channel...

Sometimes some folks play fast and loose with such associations...

Not often that I agree with Mr Michaels, but this is one of those times.

I had a similar type of gig when I was starting out, a certain line producer (who waited tables as their main job it would seem) tried to make the association that I would be working for Mark Burnett of Survivor fame, by working with them on a few commercial spots.

Not quite. I won't divulge any more details, but the commercial's subject company and the various levels of both technology and professionalism (to also include the rate which I now know to be awful - and it was all-in)... Suggested that had Mr Burnett known about this production and producer, he would have requested that they cease using his name.

This "Disney" gig may be much of the same, some 2-person-and-a-dream production crew with the belief that The Mouse will buy their project, but they are showing their lack of skill in pre-pro by not booking until the last minute and demanding that everyone always work as a local. That nonsense really needs to stop, no matter what size gig you are. If you can pay to fly the camera guy, you can pay to fly the sound guy. They are equally important.

• 2 months later...

It does seem weird to me that Disney would consider using someone from outside of the locality they are shooting.

I was booked on a Disney job by one of my main clients slated to be shot in Hong Kong and Shang Hai this year. Legitimate job at their new theme park that is being built out there. The production company submitted the budget and a week before I was due to fly out they had prepared the carnet with all my gear listed, and were awaiting final approval from Mickey Mouse corporation to book the flights and hotels.  Then  some bean counter at Disney decided last minute that they would only allow the producer and DP to fly out and they had to hire a local sound guy in China instead of bringing me out.  I was pretty annoyed because I'd turned down a ton of work due to the fact I was pretty much certain I would be out of the country. The producer who I've worked with loads was very apologetic, but she couldn't do anything to change the minds of the powers that be. So much for the happiest place on Earth.

It's sad, but one of the reasons I got into this line of work was to work and get paid to travel, until a few years ago I was working on projects all around the world. It was great we'd travel as a crew and work like a well oiled machine. Now it seems that budgets have got so tight I hardly get to travel on productions any more. They all want to hire locals. All the DPs that  I work with say that they would rather keep the same sound guy than keep being matched up with different people with different gear everywhere they go. Many of the editors I speak to hate having deal with different peoples work, but the accountants insist on traveling as few people as possible and more often than not sound has to be a local hire.