Hourly Rate for an M&E

mbois

Apparently the IC that does it for $150 does 10 a day, so they claim, i heard his work and he tends to use the same ambient for all INT DAY scenes/settings  and the same crikets AC for the all the INT/NIGHT and he just wont do it any other way. That is all I know about the IC.

yea very true it is why im still working there.

Well, if the client is fine with it, then who cares?

It's a soap opera, right?

I mixed a Disney multi camera show. And they used the same backgrounds everytime.

Why reinvent the wheel?

It's about greed up at the top, where somebody has decided they've got to produce x hours of y format for z budget... or a network has decided they'll pay only so many dollars but have to have a certain kind of programming because it gets better ratings / revenues...

Sadly true. I know of a reality show where even the on-screen talent were griping that their day rates were lower than previous seasons, due to budget cuts. Realistically, we had a 6-man crew doing roughly the work of a 10-man crew, which yielded lower quality and higher stress all the way around. 

Well, if the client is fine with it, then who cares?

It's a soap opera, right?

I mixed a Disney multi camera show. And they used the same backgrounds everytime.

Why reinvent the wheel?

For instance "Joes house-int day" has to sound different the "billies house int day" at the start of the soap a pre created different "int-day /ext- night etc to correspond with a certain usual setting so its drag and drop after. But there is tge occasinal new setting like "int- rock climbing warehouse" with ppl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly true. I know of a reality show where even the on-screen talent were griping that their day rates were lower than previous seasons, due to budget cuts. Realistically, we had a 6-man crew doing roughly the work of a 10-man crew, which yielded lower quality and higher stress all the way around.

Yielded lower quality is exactly what they said to me to do so that i could go faster. I'd like to post it on sound cloud and get feedback of what you guys think. Its a weird feeling to be told do low quality when you envision yourself one day being renowned in your career.

Mark gives good advice above! Sadly, often the rule in de bidness is: give the client what you want, especially if they can't afford the time or money to do it better. All that's expected is for you to do the best you can under the circumstances.

It is a vicious circle though: in a perfect world you want your current work to be of sufficient quality to help you ascend to the next level. That said, Mark and Marc are right. Get the job done, make the client happy, and keep looking for an opportunity to leap to the next rung.

Chris

I currently pay my editors  $375-$450 day  ( as a freelance contractor )

hey deanmc,   can you believe that we're getting paid 250-350 for editing work here in montreal (doc, fiction for tv and film). i'm telling you, it's freakin' disgraceful. i know that the standard of living is lower but it seems everyone else in the country is surpassing us. what's a real drag is that we have no union to keep producers in check here in quebec. at least not for post sound.

very frustrating.

P.

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it. I wonder sometimes if in post sound it helps to have gone to school to work with good companies and network. Since i am self taught.

Which route did you guys take? School or not?

I can see how production sound is different.

I am considering Vancouver Film School for there "1 year intensive program"

Thoughts?

It's a business first, and art form second.

Don't worry about someday.
Worry about now, and pleasing your client today.
Being difficult, even if you are trying to make things better, will give you a negative reputation.
Give the client what they want. Make them happy, even if your not.

Never mind the film school, esp if it is a "trade" type school.  You already have the gig that all those new graduates will be applying for! Do the work and learn all you can now, if you have a flair for this kind of gig then other opportunities will show up sooner or later.  If you do go to LA etc then already having your skills. a resume and an employment history in post will put you way up the line ahead of the new film school graduates.

philp

Thanks for all the advice!!! I will really take it to heart. Im still holding strong here and ill probably do so till i know pro tools in and out (& another DAW just in case) and make the LA move.