Zaxcom Camera Link

Jack Norflus

Hlo jack, that's great thanks, my trx was back and forward to mothership it was something to do with the buffer, a resistor was changed and improved a bit but would suddenly drop out of record, I am sure cam.link will wok perfectly, we never got to the bottom of my trx I wondered if the rf radiating from sta150 might have corrupted the timecode..thanks for testing much appreciated awaiting to place an order..Richard

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somewhere on one of the many Zaxcom threads, someone asked about the pin wiring for the TA5M on this new Camera Link. Will it remain the same as the STA100/150 TA5M? Please tell me we don't have to buy more cables for this new unit. Can our existing cables work properly with the new link.

The question was raised by that person because the current pin wiring for STA1XX has phase issues. I've had to rewire all my input cables for my STA100. If I buy a new Camera Link TX, I would hope my existing cables would work without phase cancellation at the camera when the camera's monitoring switch is in the "mix" position. Whats worse is when the loggers try to listen back in mono and hear nothing but the levels are moving as though there was audio there.

IIRC, the STA1XX manual specs for pin wiring are wrong.

I wish I could find that particular post, but I cant find which thread it was in.

Anyway, it was a valid question which remains un-answered.

Cheers

Peter Mega

I experienced the same thing, post was using a program called InQscribe for logging which summed both channels to mono and they were having issues not hearing any audio at times.

There is a menu option in the QRX to flip the phase of one of the channels which I think solved the issues.

Edit: My bad, phase option was in TRX not QRX, as corrected below

Hello peter it is in the trx 900 advanced menu ch2 phase reverse option..its because on the ta5 pin zax wiring is 1=earth,2= ch1 +ve,3=ch1-be,:::4=ch2-ve,5=ch2+ve, so a lot if cables were wired as pin 4and 5 wrong way round as standard stereo 5 pin xlr is 4=ch2+ve and 5=ch5-ve...Richard

Thanks Jack.

So the new camera link and the STA have different pin wiring?

According to the above post, pins 4 and 5 are flipped on the STA but you say the new link is standard 5 pin wiring.

GOod to know there's a menu option but it's still strange

Somewhere on one of the many Zaxcom threads, someone asked about the pin wiring for the TA5M on this new Camera Link. Will it remain the same as the STA100/150 TA5M? Please tell me we don't have to buy more cables for this new unit. Can our existing cables work properly with the new link.

The question was raised by that person because the current pin wiring for STA1XX has phase issues. I've had to rewire all my input cables for my STA100. If I buy a new Camera Link TX, I would hope my existing cables would work without phase cancellation at the camera when the camera's monitoring switch is in the "mix" position. Whats worse is when the loggers try to listen back in mono and hear nothing but the levels are moving as though there was audio there.

IIRC, the STA1XX manual specs for pin wiring are wrong.

I wish I could find that particular post, but I cant find which thread it was in.

Anyway, it was a valid question which remains un-answered.

Cheers

Peter Mega

That was me who asked that question a few weeks back. 

Thanks Jack for the answer, and that was very thoughtful of them to provide a menu driven phase switch for us with older cables. I still might just go re-solder my cables. The wrongness of the other pin configuration freaks me out. 

Here are scans of my Lectro 411a receivers.

2 receivers on block 25 and 2 receivers on block 26

Zaxcom camera link on block 21.

Camera link transmitter power set at max output level at 100mW.

I went to my garage - because it is the part of my house that has the least RF. I fired up the 411's and scaned. Without turning off the 411's then I fired up the camera link (frequency was chosen at random)

Just to point out: lectro Rx, after the initial scan, have to be restarted to get an actual read on the RF environment. Maybe try one pass with the zax unit off... Restart the 411, then try one scan with the zax tx on.

Just to point out: lectro Rx, after the initial scan, have to be restarted to get an actual read on the RF environment. Maybe try one pass with the zax unit off... Restart the 411, then try one scan with the zax tx on.

Wyatt - I believe the with the Lectros after the first scan any new RF will be added that scan. Regardless I did the test your way with an initial scan and the link powered down. Took a photo. Powered down the lectros. Powered up the link and re-scanned the lectros.

My results are basically the same as the initial test.

So once again - link on 21 and Lectros on 25 and 26:

post-1067-0-95349400-1368406092_thumb.jp

post-1067-0-90722900-1368406104_thumb.jp

So I've had a look in the TRX900 extended menu for a phase reverse option on channel 2 and it does not seem to be there. Am i missing something? I know I have pretty old firmware in my trx (can't remember which version right now) and I cannot update the firmware since my trx doesn't recognize a SD card in it. (I've tried several). It's been this way since new and I've never had time to send it back. Consequently, the record function doesn't work either because it doesn't "see" a card in the slot. I don't bother with record anyway because I'm always recording before audio even gets to the trx/sta.

Anyway, can someone walk me through where I can find the phase reverse please? Or does my unit not have it because of old firmware?

Thanks

Mega

Pete

Did you get the recording option in the TRX900? if you don't have it the TRX will not recognize the card to record on. Though the record feature can be added with software if you like. Though the TRX should be able to update the software - unless there is another problem going on. Put a card wiith the bin file in the TRX and hold the up and down key as you power up.

The phase reverse menu setting came in version 7.23 - so if you are running an older version then you need to update.