Movie Slate with iPhone

Glen Trew

I flew to Nashville for a couple of days on "Nashville", but left my iPad in Los Angeles. I've been using the iPad for sound reports with Movie Slate for a couple of years, and dreaded having to deal with hand written reports again, and it seemed too much to ask of something as small as the iPhone.

But, necessity is the mother of adaptation, and the thought of using pen and paper was the motivation I needed to give it a try. What I discovered was that I never needed the iPad in the first place. The iPhone does it just fine. The smaller screens required some different navigation, but I figured it out over the course of the first half of the first day. 

The only down side is that it looks to everyone like I'm texting or playing a video game while working.

post-124-0-00381300-1366422518_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-74540600-1366422665_thumb.jpg

I use Movie Slate on an Ipod Touch.  I feel like I should try the Ipad version for more screen real estate.   There are times on the IPod I mean to hit START/LOGSHOT and I hit TRACKS.  I do it a few times a day.  But would never got back to paper.  Goodwin and folks are always good at responding to questions for support

I use Wave Agent for many things, and consider it a valuable tool. But Movie Slate was written more with logging in mind, and the its Sound Department plugin devotes a lot of its purpose specifically to sound reports, making several versions that are very presentable and easy to read. Though I am currently using Movie Slate only to log my sound work, it also has functions for the other departments (camera and script), and interacts by exchanging information with those departments, giving it a usefulness altogether different from Wave Agent.

I am now trying Movie Slate with the iPad Mini, which I might actually prefer over the full size iPad. The Mini seems to have the same information on a smaller screen that's still easy to read and enter information. The standard iPad seems larger than neccesssary and is more expensive.

Glen Trew

I tried MovieSlate today on my iphone from my bag. My one gotcha was that several times when I went to hit 'end' at the end of a take, I accidentally hit 'false take.' The buttons are very close to each other when holding the phone in portrait orientation. I'm either going to have to be more precise or figure out how to have it landscape oriented. Otherwise, great app.

Azw

I tried MovieSlate today on my iphone from my bag. My one gotcha was that several times when I went to hit 'end' at the end of a take, I accidentally hit 'false take.' The buttons are very close to each other when holding the phone in portrait orientation. I'm either going to have to be more precise or figure out how to have it landscape oriented. Otherwise, great app.

Azw

May be a stylus would help with more precise interaction with the smaller iPhone screen.

Like this:

http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?productid=21845

Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...