Techniques for locking down that mixer

Zack

I've personally asked a few of you out there already, but I'm reaching out for more ideas, solutions, and recommendations of how other cart users keep their mixers (of all types) secure when moving around on location, or during transportation while on the cart?  Include pictures if possible please :)

I'm looking to find a solid and secure means of keeping an AD255 on a MidAtlantic sliding shelf so that I can actually tilt the cart on it's back as well for vehicle transportation, and not having to remove the mixer.

With my Cooper 208 (similar to Audio Development mixers) I used the existing attachment points provided for the carrying handle. I don't know if the AD mixer has any similar things you might use. Often there are existing screw that can be removed, make a simple bracket that uses the threaded point on the mixer chassis (sometimes using a longer screw that goes through the bracket). I have also seen people use the "feet" (rubber bumpers on the bottom) again, re-purposing the existing hardware to bolt the mixer to the shelf. I do know that many have used just Velcro (industrial strength) but I personally wouldn't trust it to hold if your cart is totally on its back during transportation.

My mixer is heavier than a 255 and mounted on a sliding shelf at an angle. I used two pieces of aluminum angle bracket underneath the mixer, across the back, bolted against each other to form a "Z" bracket, that is fastened via screws and nuts into both the underside of the mixer and the shelf, and a couple of screws (that replace cabinet screws in the sides) that are spaced with square aluminum tubing to fasten it to the sides of the shelf at the front of the mixer. The net result is that the mixer is bolted securely to the shelf.

If I need to remove the mixer for some reason, I can undo all the cables (they're fastened via Velcro straps tied around the handle in the back to offer strain relief) and simply slide the shelf out.

I would need to untie the cabling (that I just finished re-installing after I made some modifications to the mixer) in order to take worthwhile photos, so I don't think I'll be able to do that -- at least right now.

Sorry if this is confusing.

I have used three or four 1" strips of industrial strength Velcro (not the regular type), plus a secondary bungee cord. A few times, I've seen cases where the van has hit a big bump and rattled the cart enough that the mixer (or the recorder) starts to peel off. No question, there's a balance between too much velcro -- where you can barely take the thing off -- and just enough to hold it securely. If it's a semi-permanent installation, then screws work great. I'm always bouncing back and forth between bag and cart, so I don't quite have a permanent installation as a choice, yet.

I use velcro--you don't need while lot to secure the mixer, but you do need to make that what the velcro is secured to (the mixer, the shelf ) can really hold the velcro.  My velcro failures have usually been that of the velcro peeling off the surface, not the velcro halves separating.  My cart shelves are carpeted with the carpet held down with lots of two sided carpet tape.  This has been enough to hold a fairly heavy mixer just fine.  If you are worried about a bumpy road, wrap a bungee around the mixer and shelf for that trip.

philp

I did it for my CL-9 but that might be good also for a heavier mixer I guess... I used hardware steel metal corners like these to "footprint" my board post-1129-136653761071.jpg At that point, the board wouldn't slide on the shelf. But to secure it from kinda popping out these corners for when I tilt the cart, I sandwiched sticky 2" wide velcro (female: soft side) on the corners like this post-1129-136653777763.jpg And added male (hook side) velcro on the sides of the board itself. I then simply "spread" the velcro "flaps" on all the corners before "inserting" the board into the corners then I press these "flaps" on the sides of the board's velcros. Sorry about all these " " " " , just trying to make it as clear as I can (well is it? Zat is ze question)...

I employ a combo of some others' ideas:

Velcro, but on a wedge, so carpet --> wedge --> AD255 to keep it tilted the way I wish as well as held to the shelf.

Because there's a lip against which the mixer may press on the fader side, I removed the handle but kept the struts that each has a hole. Once the wedge was in place I was able to mark and drill holes through the shelf to either side of the handle strut and secure the strut with cable ties. There was enough weight-tension to press the mixer against both the lip and the secured struts, triangulated with the bungee, below.

For transport, I've a couple of 1" D-rings attached to the cart that sport a semi-permanent bungee. Placement spot is narrow as you'll see in the photo: just over the comm mic.

8675290247_c8240f7815_d.jpg

http://www.3m.com/product/information/Dual-Lock-Reclosable-Fastener.html

I first found this when I needed to attach a camera to my skydiving helmet.  This stuff is awesome.

I have used this to mount all kinds of things in all kinds of places and it has never failed me.

This stuff is truly amazing, we'd always called it "industrial velcro" as I had no other name for it. It's quite hard to find, the last and only place that I've seen it available at was Officeworks, but now that I know it's official name and who makes it ill chase them up for a retail outlet.

It really is the most incredible stuff. It sticks like poo to blanket and has an amazing load capacity, I would bet that a 6" square would support an average mans body weight with ease.

I'd put money on it to stop your mixer from sliding around!

Rgds

AT

This stuff is truly amazing, we'd always called it "industrial velcro" as I had no other name for it. It's quite hard to find, the last and only place that I've seen it available at was Officeworks, but now that I know it's official name and who makes it ill chase them up for a retail outlet.

It really is the most incredible stuff. It sticks like poo to blanket and has an amazing load capacity, I would bet that a 6" square would support an average mans body weight with ease.

I'd put money on it to stop your mixer from sliding around!

Rgds

AT

I have no doubt the the mechanical park of the Velcro would hold, but what about the adhesive?  When the sun heats up and goo gets gooey-er...that's always been the weak link to these Velcro type products.

Can I attach my mixer to the cart shelf and then lay the cart on it's back in my car where it sometimes gets hot with this product?  I may never know until I try it myself.

I have no doubt the the mechanical park of the Velcro would hold, but what about the adhesive? When the sun heats up and goo gets gooey-er...that's always been the weak link to these Velcro type products.

Can I attach my mixer to the cart shelf and then lay the cart on it's back in my car where it sometimes gets hot with this product? I may never know until I try it myself.

Depending on your shelf material, you could screw the Velcro down if the adhesive fails. Countersunk screws would work, and the other Velcro side would prevent damage to the mixer from the screw head. As for attaching to the mixer...well.

I have no doubt the the mechanical park of the Velcro would hold, but what about the adhesive?  When the sun heats up and goo gets gooey-er...that's always been the weak link to these Velcro type products.

Can I attach my mixer to the cart shelf and then lay the cart on it's back in my car where it sometimes gets hot with this product?  I may never know until I try it myself.

I've used this material on the exterior of small aircraft and helicopters for mini camera mounts etc - never had a failure yet. The adhesive is so strong and resilient that its a bitch to remove after you're done. Its takes quite a bit of "Goo-Off", maybe a scraper and some considerable elbow grease to remove the adhesive. Plus, as mentioned above, its can be screwed and/or riveted to a base.

Great stuff!

Rgd's

AT