JAppleton

Hey guys

I am trying to record for the first time with my SD 664 I just got and had this warning come up;

"CF Warning Media I/O Error". 

I checked the manual, altered some settings, to no avail. My set-up included 3 Lav's on channels 2-4. The SD card works but the CF is giving me the error. Is the CF card bad? It's brand new. Both cards I'm using (CF and SD) are approved cards on the Sound Devices website for the 664. I also was unable to reformat the card, as I was given the same error. 

I checked SD forums and there was a thread regarding the SD card not working, but did not see this error for the CF. Any wisdom is greatly appreciated

The brand, model, and speed of the card is often a factor. SD is very specific on the cards they recommend for the 664.

I find with low track numbers (no more than 4), the crappy 133X Kingston 16GB cards work fine. The moment I know I'm going to need more, I go with the 500X UDMA5 cards. SD recently has been recommending UDMA 5, 6, & 7 cards, which I believe go up to 800X. I have never had a card go bad on location -- yet! -- but I've certainly seen this happen with the camera department. 

Tech paper here:

http://www.sounddevices.com/notes/mixers/664-field-mixer-approved-media/