Timecode output of Canon C300

If there are a lot of stops and starts on the camera roll record run is apparently quicker for most NLE to ingest. Free run will work but it is apparently more work for the editor to deal with it

That was true in the tape days, but not in file-based systems (which almost everybody works with now). If the camera is shooting digital files, then it breaks each file into separate pieces every time the timecode breaks (or it comes out of record). The files are imported into the editing program in one batch process.

It was true in the tape days of Avid dailies that the editing program would sometimes stop when it was capturing the offline copy of the material everytime there was a timecode break. We would get holy hell in dailies if for some reason there was a timecode break in a film dailies show, usually from an assistant editor who was trying to capture hours of material while sleeping. I would occasionally prod them and say, "well, didn't you notice that the computer stopped capturing when you were in the room?", and they'd confess, "uh, I was taking a break when that happened and didn't notice until three hours later."   :unsure:

A lot of crap like this happens either from people who are clinging to old workflow procedures out of fear and superstition, or their stuck using old tape camcorders because their productions won't upgrade. Beyond that, there are zero reasons not to use time of day, in my opinion. 

I know I'm a little late to the party, but why do I keep reading that people are trying to set their Recorders up for Rec-Run to match when the cameras roll? I've NEVER been asked to do this in 10 years of doing Production Sound full-time, and I see few advantages and many more disadvantages versus standard free-run TC.

E.

I recently did a week of shooting for a show with 3 cameras that were all record run. It was set up so A camera would trigger B camera, C camera and my Nomad. I didn't know we were doing that till I landed on set the first day, but it was no problem to set up. We were on a stage and had umbilicals to connect everything, including me feeding audio to the 3 cameras and monitor returns.

Otherwise I mostly run into Rec-Run on a talking head interview shoot.

I recently did a week of shooting for a show with 3 cameras that were all record run. It was set up so A camera would trigger B camera, C camera and my Nomad. I didn't know we were doing that till I landed on set the first day, but it was no problem to set up. We were on a stage and had umbilicals to connect everything, including me feeding audio to the 3 cameras and monitor returns.

Otherwise I mostly run into Rec-Run on a talking head interview shoot.

This would not be possible with  a batch of Canon C300 "cameras" as the timecode I/O is on a shared connector that must be menu selected as either an input or an output.

Best

This would not be possible with  a batch of Canon C300 "cameras" as the timecode I/O is on a shared connector that must be menu selected as either an input or an output.

Best

It is an either-or connector, but I yesterday T-ed off TC from the A camera (thru a transformer to be careful) and the other leg went on to the B cam.  There's no reason you couldn't T off at the B cam to another cam. and if there were more cams use a TC DA like we used to do.

philp

• 3 months later...

My observations for R88 test :

C300 TC Out -> TBminiTX

R88 TC IN <- TB Wifi master (recoding in Ext TC Sync REC mode)

1. There was only 1second delay/lag between the whole setup

2. I did long takes & short takes (5mins to 10seconds) but the lag remained constant

3. Movie slate ofcource showing the same lag being shown thru TB

4. At times even after pressing recSTOP from camera R88 continued to roll (this happened if i tried to do a take as short as 5secs)

5. R88 TC kept running even after camera stopped recording, but TC again started when camera rolled from the point of last TC break

6. Powered it from Mains & 12V Battery power

7. Multiple times switched on & off the whole setup still TC was 1sec lagging

I wonder why this lag was constant at 1second. I tried to program thru TB App as TC delay between -4sec to +4sec but no diff caused or reflecting anywhere. No Audio test done as such (still waiting for delivery of NTG3 + Rode Blimp)

I think it's the Timecode Buddy mini-TX he is referring to. 

Make sure to check in an editor. It's not unheard of for LCD monitors to be off by as much as one second. RED One had that, and if I'm not mistaken I think even Alexa does now. So then it's not a TC issue but rather an LCD screen issue. 

My bad. Thx for stating it clear on my behalf. Yes I use timecode buddy system.

I will try out the delay check on FCP timeline. But still wondering If I use Timecode Buddy wifi master to generate TC for camera and recorder would that be accurate loke Besto SBOX1 or Ambient Mini box TC generators.

After much testing on shoot + EDIT on FCP (24p timeline, 24bit 48Khz)

From video point of view Audio is -3frames lagging

From audio point of view Video is +3frames ahead

So to match I would just match the In TC of both A & V & then do -3 or +3 Maths. I could see what was seeming as 1second delay on TC on Camera actually came close to 3Frames.